Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage 500 Mile (EQM) Minimum Mile Guarantee (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Minimum Miles (EQM) Guarantee
See here on aa.com for information.

AAdvantage® members have a base of 500 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American and oneworld® airlines (250 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on Basic Economy fares). To calculate final EQMs earned, the multiplier for airline and booking code flown is applied to this base.

Previously, "Elite members will earn at least 500 base EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American Airlines and American Eagle (including codeshare flights booked as an American Airlines flight number), oneworld® airlines and Alaska Airlines."
Also see the partner airline's page on AA.com. E.g. here on the BA page on AA.com for the statement:

AAdvantage® elite status member benefits

Travel on British Airways and eligible affiliate airlines counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage® elite status membership. AAdvantage® elite status members receive additional benefits when traveling on British Airways.

Elite mileage bonus
Minimum EQM guarantee
oneworld® airline partners
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Elite members will earn at least 500 miles for flights under 500 miles on American Airlines and American Eagle (including codeshare flights booked as an American Airlines flight number) and participating AAdvantage and oneworld airlines:
I have a couple of questions about how this works. I am Gold and I have a DFW-SJC-DFW trip planned at the end of October. On the way to SJC there is a layover in LAX. LAX to SJC is only 308 miles, but with the minimum mileage guarantee does that mean that I will get 500 for that leg of the trip? Or does it not count as a separate segment since the ticket is actually DFW-SJC which is more than 500 miles? And do those miles count as base miles or only as bonus miles?

I tried booking it as DFW-LAX-SJC-DFW, but the ticket cost considerably more, even though they are on the same flights.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 10, 2016 at 4:15 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As long as the flights have different flight numbers you will earn minimum 500 EQM for LAX-SJC. If both sectors use the same flight number, miles earning will be as if you had flown nonstop.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-threads.html

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 4, 2015 at 1:30 pm
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, MR Gold, AA Plat Pro, HH Gold
500 mile minimum on HA flights?

I'm flying DFW-HNL-KOA. Ticket is issued by AA with the HNL-KOA flight on Hawaiian metal booked with an AA flight number. I know I'll earn EQMs and RDMs according to the AA earnings chart but is there a 500 mile EQM and RDM minimum for AA elites on HA codeshares?

(I'm a newbie to most things AA here, plus I did a search and couldn't find the answer)
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by StarlightSusan
I'm flying DFW-HNL-KOA. Ticket is issued by AA with the HNL-KOA flight on Hawaiian metal booked with an AA flight number. I know I'll earn EQMs and RDMs according to the AA earnings chart but is there a 500 mile EQM and RDM minimum for AA elites on HA codeshares?

(I'm a newbie to most things AA here, plus I did a search and couldn't find the answer)
The AA flight number means AA earnings rules - including minimums - will apply.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, MR Gold, AA Plat Pro, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The AA flight number means AA earnings rules - including minimums - will apply.
That's what I thought. It just seemed strange that HA isn't mentioned on the minimum earnings page:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...leageguarantee
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:08 am

AA's site is well known for not being up to date, so I wouldn't worry about it. AA marketed flights earn as if flying AA.

Last edited by Djokison; Mar 13, 2016 at 9:10 am Reason: .
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by StarlightSusan
That's what I thought. It just seemed strange that HA isn't mentioned on the minimum earnings page:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...leageguarantee
The 500 mile minimum in fact does not apply to HA-marketed, HA-operated flights. That's why HA isn't listed on that page. However, on AA-marketed flights (including those operated by HA), it does apply as Djokison notes:

Originally Posted by Djokison
AA's site is well known for not being up to date, so I wouldn't worry about it. AA marketed flights earn as if flying AA.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
It may no longer be the case (have not flown these flights in 2015 or 2016) but there was a time when the AA-coded flight number on HA operated flights only earned 250 miles for the interisland flights. And it seems last time that happened to me it was not consistent - the EQM was still 500, but the RDM was capped at 250 - or vice-versa. The website used to have a disclaimer about it as well.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
It may no longer be the case (have not flown these flights in 2015 or 2016) but there was a time when the AA-coded flight number on HA operated flights only earned 250 miles for the interisland flights. And it seems last time that happened to me it was not consistent - the EQM was still 500, but the RDM was capped at 250 - or vice-versa. The website used to have a disclaimer about it as well.
That's no longer the case. 500-mile minimum on AA codeshares, and HA interisland flights under most economy fare codes earn actual mileage.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
BA minimum EQMs?

I'm flying on BA and the flights are only ~200 miles each way. Is there a minimum number of EQMs on BA like there is on AA?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I'm flying on BA and the flights are only ~200 miles each way. Is there a minimum number of EQMs on BA like there is on AA?
The base EQMs will be 500
EQMs earned will then be increased/reduced based on multiplier for that fare

In discount economy, the modifier is 0.5 , so the minimum earned will be 250
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See the wiki here:
AAdvantage Elite minimum mileage guarantee (applies to EQM and RDM)

How is the 500-mile EQM minimum benefit applied for elite members?

If your flight is less than 500 miles we’ll raise the base EQM amount to 500 prior to applying any multipliers, according to the booking code purchased. After applying the multiplier, the number of EQMs awarded could be less than 500. For example, if your flight is 300 miles in length, we will raise the base EQM amount to 500. If the multiplier to be applied is 0.50, you will earn 250 EQMs for the flight.

Elite members will earn at least 500 (250, in reality - see immediately above) miles for flights under 500 miles on American Airlines and American Eagle (including codeshare flights booked as an American Airlines flight number) and participating AAdvantage and oneworld airlines:
•airberlin
•Alaska Airlines
•British Airways
•Fiji Airways (non-oneworld; RDM only)
•Finnair
•Gulf Air (non-oneworld; RDM only)
•Iberia
•LAN*
•Qantas
•Royal Jordanian
•SriLankan Airlines
•TAM Airlines
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2016-a.html
See also from aa.com:
Minimum EQM guarantee

Elite members will earn at least 500 base EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American Airlines and American Eagle (including codeshare flights booked as an American Airlines flight number), oneworld® airlines and Alaska Airlines.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...leageguarantee
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed - the passenger will earn a BASE of 500 - if in discount economy, that base amount will be multiplied by 0.5 to give 250 EQMs
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
See here.

"Elite members will earn at least 500 base EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American Airlines and American Eagle (including codeshare flights booked as an American Airlines flight number), oneworld® airlines and Alaska Airlines."

Also see here on the BA page on AA.com for the statement:

Travel on British Airways and eligible affiliate airlines counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage® elite status membership. AAdvantage® elite status members receive additional benefits when traveling on British Airways.

Elite mileage bonus
Minimum EQM guarantee
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by JDiver
See here.

"Elite members will earn at least 500 base EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American Airlines and American Eagle (including codeshare flights booked as an American Airlines flight number), oneworld® airlines and Alaska Airlines."

Also see here on the BA page on AA.com for the statement:

Elite mileage bonus
Minimum EQM guarantee
I find that to be an incredibly misleading wording, as the guarantee applies to the base used for the fare multiplier, not to what will actually post to one's account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.