Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When Bose Headsets go Missing (merged threads)

When Bose Headsets go Missing (merged threads)

Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Has something changed in the distribution process? I was on a JFK-LHR Flight last August and the Headphones were in the seat side cupboard upon boarding? Or is that a case of the crew putting one at every seat so they know they need one back from every seat?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:17 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by tomhuber2003
Wait... the life vests aren't souvenirs?
Drat!
Don't laugh - apparently pax taking souvenir life vests is a thing in on SL, this is why they put those huge red stickers smack in the middle of the tray tables. Crew also mentioned the fact in the safety demo and at the end of the flight.

When I had my own QC-15s I had a few awkward moments with AA crew trying to poach them. I got my own set not least because I hated getting woken up long before landing just to collect the darn things.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BLHD
Has something changed in the distribution process? I was on a JFK-LHR Flight last August and the Headphones were in the seat side cupboard upon boarding? Or is that a case of the crew putting one at every seat so they know they need one back from every seat?
There is some inconsistency in the process, but I'm finding that typically they are in the cupboard when leaving the USA, but more likely to be handed out individually when leaving the UK.

Placing one in every cupboard certainly should make the collection process easier to complete, but only if they do accurately record collections when they make them...
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:45 am

A lot of mis information on this board. I think the OP is referring to the three prong Bose NC headsets that are given out or already in place when boarding on the AA 77W in biz and First. The OP is not refering to the two prong headsets. The procedure for these headsets has changed because of theft. You can even find a flyertalk member on the technical forum asking how to make the three prong work or where he can buy an adapter. Once again we are talking about three prongs and the third prong receives a DC voltage that must be clean but enough said. There is a loss theft problem with these items and they are certainly worth more than china, a towel etc.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
A lot of mis information on this board. I think the OP is referring to the three prong Bose NC headsets that are given out or already in place when boarding on the AA 77W in biz and First. The OP is not refering to the two prong headsets. The procedure for these headsets has changed because of theft. You can even find a flyertalk member on the technical forum asking how to make the three prong work or where he can buy an adapter. Once again we are talking about three prongs and the third prong receives a DC voltage that must be clean but enough said. There is a loss theft problem with these items and they are certainly worth more than china, a towel etc.
Uhm, that's what everyone is talking about. Where do you see misinformation?
The only misinformation was the idea that "the airline can keep you hostage on the plane for as long as they want."

Even the thread you mention was already linked in this thread.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Things can happen. . . our last trip DFW-HNL on a 763NGBC - FA was dutifully with notation, passing out the Bose and the tablets. As she passed us, some how one of the unassigned Bose sets fell from the cart and rolled under our feet. I tried to immediately get her attention, but she had moved further down, so I stood up walked back to her with the Bose. "Excuse me, you dropped these as you passed us." was returned by a surprised / panicked look and profuse thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by Centurion
That's what I thought also. QC15 headsets in the 77W cubby and the roundup prior to landing. I have seen the passed out QC15s on 763s but decline the offer. If I remember correctly my 3.5mm 20i buds plug in fine to a single 763 jack. I can't recall if it was into a 763 tablet or an ife panel

As I indicated above I found an AT bud adapter that will work with my 20i buds. I have a 77W trip in 2 weeks. I think In the past I tried to insert my 20i buds plug into any one of the 3-prong jacks in the 77W cubby on multiple flights but it would not fit. Maybe that's me not being patient. Are all those jacks 3.5mm or are they smaller than that?

Last edited by AATrout; Mar 10, 2016 at 10:51 am
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by AATrout
That's what I thought also. QC15 headsets in the 77W cubby and the roundup prior to landing. I have seen the passed out QC15s on 763s but decline the offer. If I remember correctly my 3.5mm 20i buds plug in fine to a single 763 jack. I can't recall if it was into a 763 tablet or an ife panel

As I indicated above I found an AT bud adapter that will work with my 20i buds. I have a 77W trip in 2 weeks. I think In the past I tried to insert my 20i buds plug into any one of the 3-prong jacks in the 77W cubby on multiple flights but it would not fit. Maybe that's me not being patient. Are all those jacks 3.5mm or are they smaller than that?
The power one won't fit but either sound socket will. I do it all the time since I am always forgetting the adapter.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by fanger
The power one won't fit but either sound socket will. I do it all the time since I am always forgetting the adapter.
Cool, thx!^
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by Djokison
If you don't speak English, sure, maybe. But surely the vast majority of AA passengers know enough (basic) English to understand the "Property of American Airlines. Do not remove from aircraft" printed on the case?

Edit: Though now that I think about it, is it still printed on the case like it used to be? ita definitely printed somewhere, though; either case, headphone or the card.
tbh, I don't recall seeing it, but I don't think I was looking very carefully. Which probably means even more that it's not clear.

edit:
Found a pic... definitely not on the case anymore

But... apparently the old ones did:

I think AA is partially to blame here. Clearly just printing American doesn't make it property of AA (since the amenity kits say AA on them)... so at least I can understand perfectly well why someone might assume that they are free. They really need like, a red sticker that says.. do not remove. Or some way to attach the headphone case to the seat so its clear that its not supposed to be removed.

Also, have you flown a PVG/PEK-*** flight? There are very clearly many passengers who do not speak a single word of english. There have been several flights where I had to either (a) help translate food orders for pax because there was only 1 fa who spoke Chinese or (b) help fill out customs forms because well, the pax couldn't write with latin characters... pretty sure they couldn't read/understand "property"...

Last edited by no2chem; Mar 10, 2016 at 12:37 pm
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I don't recall seeing anything printed on the case of the QC25s we were given earlier this week to/from PEK. Different case from the one you posted in the first pic (looks like those are QC15s, iirc)
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I don't recall seeing anything printed on the case of the QC25s we were given earlier this week to/from PEK. Different case from the one you posted in the first pic (looks like those are QC15s, iirc)
Thanks found a pic- these actually look like the ones on the 787s I was on, you're right, also does not say:

Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I have my own headset, however last I used one of AA's I seem to recall that it was printed inside of the case. I might be wrong, but I do seem to recall so, this was a couple of years back. Also, wouldn't the fact that the item is not in a sealed box and might show signs of wear/use, it will indicate to some that the item has been used in the past. Its not like your are getting a brand new headset, as opposed to the amenity kits that are sealed in plastic.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: BA SILVER, AA EXEC PLAT
Just completed a Transcon LAX - JFK, headphones collected 1hr10mjns before landing. Is this normal procedure for a 5hr flight! Next time I won't bother using them especially as they wake you up when you're sleeping!!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by atlantic1
Just completed a Transcon LAX - JFK, headphones collected 1hr10mjns before landing. Is this normal procedure for a 5hr flight! Next time I won't bother using them especially as they wake you up when you're sleeping!!

Yes, this is normal procedure. It takes the FAs a long time to inventory all of the headphones, and they need to be locked away in the equipment cart prior to the "prepare for landing" announcement. It's a busy time in the galley. If you do not want to be woken up, pack up your headphones BEFORE you go to sleep and leave them clearly visible on your tray table so that the FAs will see and collect them without disturbing you. (then, just wear your own headphones for sleeping if desired)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.