Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LAX-HKG w/ 77W announced, starting 7 September 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: LAX-HKG w/ 77W announced, starting 7 September 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I'm suspect they will extend the hours of the AC and the FL, OR (but not both) the OW LAX Lounge and QF First Lounge to accommodate the need. If not, good luck selling those premium tix to pax expecting a premium ground experience as well prior to boarding.
What time does the QF lounge close now? The QF website says 23:30, CX says 1:00. CX 881 moves from 00:10 to 01:10 next week, are those pax able to use the lounge?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I flew DFW-HKG twice round trip in J at the end of last year and had no complaints about any of my four flights, and the other people I talked with in the cabin seemed happy as well.
Flew in F and while the seat/internet was nice, the soft product was nowhere near CX F. Unfortunately they loaded both mediocre wine and lazy FA's onto my flights. Hoping that the former gets improved with the new catering and the latter gets improved by better employee relations.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by robinhood
What time does the QF lounge close now? The QF website says 23:30, CX says 1:00. CX 881 moves from 00:10 to 01:10 next week, are those pax able to use the lounge?
I know that the lounge stays open until CX881 (00:10 departure) departs (I was there maybe until around 23:40?). CX881 will depart at 00:55 for the NS2016 schedule (the 01:10 is in between US' summer schedule and the rest of the world summer schedule that begins 27 March).

I've been into both JCL/FCL and FCL still seems pretty normal (food/service wise) after 23:00, but things are winding down and staff are cleaning up in the JCL.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Flew in F and while the seat/internet was nice, the soft product was nowhere near CX F. Unfortunately they loaded both mediocre wine and lazy FA's onto my flights. Hoping that the former gets improved with the new catering and the latter gets improved by better employee relations.
F on CX remains well ahead, but even there I've seen complaints about the catering more recently. They dumped the Balik salmon years ago now and that was so good.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the past AA indeed wasn't anywhere near up to par with CX.
Oh, agreed -- but some people like to live in the past I guess!
(Though to be frank, I never thought CX *J* was the bee's knees, and actually used to slightly prefer the old Continental flight from EWR. However, when CX went all-aisle-access-flat-bed, even with the tight reverse herringbones, it became harder to justify CO's better catering and more appropriate meal timings)

F on CX remains well ahead, but even there I've seen complaints about the catering more recently. They dumped the Balik salmon years ago now and that was so good.
I *have* always loved CX F, though. Was bummed about the Balik, but I do like the individual caviar tins now. I suppose the main courses can be hit-or-miss (they're always "miss" in J!), but this summer, I had a very very good NY Strip ex-HKG (medium rare!), and a kurobuta pork dish ex-LAX that was kind of amazing.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I would guess that it depends upon whether the AA flight will depart from TBIT or T4. If T4, I doubt that QF will extend their hours.
But that would also require them to extend the hours of the AC/FL in T4. @:-)

Plus, I think AA wants to eliminate widebody parking at T4. Gates 41 and 43 will no longer be widebody-capable when they add an additional gate between those two gates. Which just leaves one widebody capabale gate at the end of the concourse IIRC.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by nov11
Flight schedules come 07SEP:

LAX-HKG:
CX881 00:55 - 06:45+1
AA*** 01:55 - 08:10+1
CX897 09:30 - 15:25+1
CX885 12:55 - 18:55+1
CX883 23:55 - 05:45+2

HKG-LAX:
CX880 00:05 - 22:10-1
CX898 09:30 - 07:45
CX884 12:55 - 11:10
CX882 16:35 - 14:50
AA*** 20:20 - 18:40
Unfortunately, this schedule doesn't improve the HKG-MEX connection situation, a route I often fly. Under daylight savings time, CX898 just misses AA2546, so the only OW option via LAX is to take the new AA flight, spend 5+ hours in transit, and then connect on the dreadful red-eye AA2545 (4 hours on a B737...). There are better options on the return leg.

So, HKG-MEX remains practical only via DFW.

Separately, I'm wondering if AA is going to give some Asia love to JFK?... JFK-PVG, JFK-PEK and JFK-ICN just cry to be served by an AA B787.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:44 am

Programs: LH HON
I think they rely on these markets to be catered via either NRT or HKG and then put on their "premium" transcon flights.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Anyone know when these will be loaded for booking? I have a flight to book and having done CX repeatedly, I may go with AA metal for the ability to try to upgrade from J to F. Need to book soon though.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stephem
Anyone know when these will be loaded for booking? I have a flight to book and having done CX repeatedly, I may go with AA metal for the ability to try to upgrade from J to F. Need to book soon though.
Next weekend.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:33 pm

Kudos to you AA! Now how about JFK-HKG?
I haven't really been in LAX Flagship for the entire year last year, would probably score some connections over there once this flight is open to booking.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It looks like LAX to HKG will be flight 193. It departs LAX at 1:55 AM and arrives at HKG at 8:10 AM the next day. The return flight is 192, departing HKG at 8:20 PM and arriving at LAX 6:40 PM the same day.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:10 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ashill
I can't imagine that AA is starting this route on their flagship plane if they think they'll only be able to command the same fares on the nonstop as they do on the one stop via NRT; if they were only hoping for the same fares, why would they start the route?
It looks like indeed that fares are starting in J at the same price as the one-stop via Japan (at least ex-HKG).
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
the soft product was nowhere near CX F.
The food aspect on CX is a disaster. One of the weaknesses of CX is FOOD

Everything is almost perfect except food!!!
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
The food aspect on CX is a disaster. One of the weaknesses of CX is FOOD

Everything is almost perfect except food!!!
And AA will be upgrading their catering to the same standard on LAX-SYD for DFW-HKG in June and LAX-HKG when it starts in September. Combined with wifi, AA isn't that terrible of an option, especially since the flights in both directions are night flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.