Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LAX-HKG w/ 77W announced, starting 7 September 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: LAX-HKG w/ 77W announced, starting 7 September 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
While added capacity often benefits consumers, I wonder what impact the new LAX-HKG route will have on AA business or first class award redemption for CX flights. AA will soon be doing a devaluation, and CX also will be changing its FF program to the detriment of customers. The new AA route LAX<->HKG is supposedly a joint venture with JL, not CX. It will be interesting to see if AA award availability for CX F or J will change for the worse later this year.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dfwfa
Originally Posted by Austin787
My guess:
LAX-HKG: departs LAX at midnight and arrives HKG around 6am. This 77W would then fly HKG-DFW.

HKG-LAX: departs HKG around 9pm (using the 77W that arrives from DFW) and arrives LAX around 7:15pm). Connections at LAX would be limited to the west coast; passengers traveling to the central and eastern time zones would be better off taking the HKG-DFW flight.
As an AA f/a, I don't think so. When there are flights from multiple U.S. stations (i.e., more than 1), the company likes to group them together wherever possible for both arrivals at and departures from International stations. That way they need a minimum of ground personnel to work all the flights--in one shift or less if possible.

DFW-HKG departs DFW at 11:30am (a civilized time, don't you think?). It arrives in HKG at 6:35pm the following day.

HKG-DFW departs HKG at 1:40pm arriving in DFW at 2:20pm same day.

If possible (slots available, etc.), I think you will see similar departure and arrival times (on the HKG end) on the LAX-HKG route. Now, your homework is to figure out LAX departure and arrival times working with that pesky International Dateline. Personally, it makes my head hurt just to think about it.
This is precisely why as a former schedule id chuckle at all the suggestions from pilots and FAs on how to "improve" schedules. Laughable at best. Negligent at worst.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:03 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
Hard product in J is almost identical.

CX's catering has been declining. AA's has been improving. AA also has the advantage that it caters specifically for the American palette.

CX's amenity kits in J are disappointing. AA's new one is better.

CX's inflight service is more attentive. AA's is often perfunctory.

CX's and AA's grounds service at LAX is about the same. Obviously, Cathay has the advantage at HKG.

(My partner flew this route 8 times last year and 3 times already this year, all in J class. In his opinion, one isn't clearly better than the other.)
As a frequent CX traveller, and someone who takes this route 2-3 times a year in J ex-HKG, I'm looking forward to the AA flight. The main reason is price. I expect the price will be similar to the current route via NRT since it is a JL JV service, in which case the J fare is going to be 35% cheaper than CX.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by sxc
The main reason is price. I expect the price will be similar to the current route via NRT since it is a JL JV service, in which case the J fare is going to be 35% cheaper than CX.
And I strongly believe CX will re-evaluate its prices on this route and cut it substantially ^
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: BA (G), SK (S), KL
I have always wondered why PEK, ICN, TPE, MNL and secondary chinese cities) were never started from LAX by American, do you think it will be a possibility in the future ?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
It also lists LAX-KIX... but that's the JL code-share, right? That's not a new as-yet-unannounced routed, is it?
For the record, in case there was any real thought that AA is starting LAX-KIX on their own metal, there is an * next to LAX-KIX saying it's operated by JL on the AA.com page. Given that several people have mentioned this, I assume that that asterisk wasn't there when the page was initially (erroneously) posted.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by sxc
As a frequent CX traveller, and someone who takes this route 2-3 times a year in J ex-HKG, I'm looking forward to the AA flight. The main reason is price. I expect the price will be similar to the current route via NRT since it is a JL JV service, in which case the J fare is going to be 35% cheaper than CX.
I can't imagine that AA is starting this route on their flagship plane if they think they'll only be able to command the same fares on the nonstop as they do on the one stop via NRT; if they were only hoping for the same fares, why would they start the route?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
Hard product in J is almost identical.

CX's catering has been declining. AA's has been improving. AA also has the advantage that it caters specifically for the American palette.

CX's amenity kits in J are disappointing. AA's new one is better.

CX's inflight service is more attentive. AA's is often perfunctory.

CX's and AA's grounds service at LAX is about the same. Obviously, Cathay has the advantage at HKG.

(My partner flew this route 8 times last year and 3 times already this year, all in J class. In his opinion, one isn't clearly better than the other.)
There have been sharp disagreements on this topic in the not-too-distant past, with derision directed at some who claimed AA was anywhere near up to par with CX. But I agree with you. And don't forget about the WiFi on AA!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ijgordon
There have been sharp disagreements on this topic in the not-too-distant past, with derision directed at some who claimed AA was anywhere near up to par with CX. But I agree with you. And don't forget about the WiFi on AA!
In the past AA indeed wasn't anywhere near up to par with CX.

But, CX has gotten noticeably worse, and AA has honestly improved, particularly with the hard product in J and the inflight internet access. I flew DFW-HKG twice round trip in J at the end of last year and had no complaints about any of my four flights, and the other people I talked with in the cabin seemed happy as well.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
I can't imagine that AA is starting this route on their flagship plane if they think they'll only be able to command the same fares on the nonstop as they do on the one stop via NRT; if they were only hoping for the same fares, why would they start the route?
[bolding mine]

Because they were responding to customer demand

“We announced new domestic Los Angeles routes at the end of January, and customers let us know they wanted more great service to even more destinations,” said Andrew Nocella, chief marketing officer for American Airlines.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by joey_12
I have always wondered why PEK, ICN, TPE, MNL and secondary chinese cities) were never started from LAX by American, do you think it will be a possibility in the future ?
First, AA has always been weak in Asia. The merger didn't do a thing although the 22 A350s that US had on order were intended to start Asia flying for US. AA will most likely end up using them on Transpacs so that'll be a huge help considering the large operating and fuel efficiency costs between the 772 and A359.

Second, AA had a pilot contract pre-bankruptcy that prevented flights longer than fourteen hours will an exception for the now discontinued ORD-DEL. The old contract is the reason DFW-PEK didn't happen until last year. The contract went away during bankruptcy and opened the door to flights longer than 7,000 miles.

Third, and probably most importantly, AA never had the proper equipment to fly to Asia profitably. The high CASM non-refurbished 777s with a 16F/37J/194Y configuration didn't have a chance of making these longhaul flights profitable with a couple of exceptions, most notably DFW-NRT and more recently DFW-ICN. Number one reason the 788 is primarily doing Transpacs is because those routes really needed the new equipment. Previously, AA had to drop ORD-NRT down to five times weekly on the 777-200. Now it can operate the route daily with the 788. Due to its small size, I expect the 788 to end up moving towards TATL flying once enough 789/A359s are delivered to free them up to replace refurbished 767s flying TATL. AA has 22 A359s and 22 789s on order, with the first 789 to be delivered this September, and that'll probably be the future of AA's growing Transpac operation with the 77Ws doing HKG/SYD and potentially HND.

I'd say LAX-ICN/PEK are both inevitable and that both will be launched within the next two years. Once AA starts LAX-HKG, LAX-PEK will be the biggest market out of LAX that has only one airline operating it. LAX-ICN will be the most difficult as Korean/Asiana have five dailies between the two of them, including three A380 flights. AA's contract with Samsung and their success on DFW-ICN will probably help.

Since there is no dominating US carrier at LAX like what UA has at SFO, the Chinese airlines have been able to add secondary cities in China to LAX. The only real new destination in the Far East that AA has a shot of launching in the next five years is probably TPE. The only reason why it could work is because the operating costs of the 789/A359 are low and their respective configurations match a destination like TPE.

I don't think AA is done with adding service to Australia. In the proposal for amending the AA/QF JBV, AA/QF were planning to add additional routes over the next several years, however the proposed new routes were redacted. I don't think DFW-AKL is on the table since OZ just added IAH-AKL and AA can upgauge LAX-AKL from a 788 to a larger aircraft in the future. I think there is a good chance AA starts LAX-MEL/BNE by the end of the decade.

But again, what do I know? I'm just guessing based on what I've read/seen.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by nov11
Wow. That 01:55 departure from LAX tho but great news nonetheless. Now the FT question: Will the QF FCL remain open an hour longer now that AA's HKG flight leaves an hour after CX881.

Flight schedules come 07SEP:

LAX-HKG:
CX881 00:55 - 06:45+1
AA*** 01:55 - 08:10+1
CX897 09:30 - 15:25+1
CX885 12:55 - 18:55+1
CX883 23:55 - 05:45+2

HKG-LAX:
CX880 00:05 - 22:10-1
CX898 09:30 - 07:45
CX884 12:55 - 11:10
CX882 16:35 - 14:50
AA*** 20:20 - 18:40
I would guess that it depends upon whether the AA flight will depart from TBIT or T4. If T4, I doubt that QF will extend their hours.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I would guess that it depends upon whether the AA flight will depart from TBIT or T4. If T4, I doubt that QF will extend their hours.
I suppose with the connector, even if it operated from TBIT they could send people to the T4 lounges. I'll be curious what happens with the lounge situation as well.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by headinclouds
It will likely use TBIT, like all AA international flights will be doing in the near future.

As for future expansion, I fully expect we will see ICN and PEK, though the latter is contingent on getting financially viable slots. Also, in much the same way UA is using 787s to expand into secondary China (Chengdu, Xi'an and, now, Hangzhou), I expect AA to do the same from LA. These routes are heavily subsidized by local governments, the financial risk is actually minimal. For the same reason, though, I expect to see markets that UA is not competing in - like Chongqing.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Microwave
I suppose with the connector, even if it operated from TBIT they could send people to the T4 lounges. I'll be curious what happens with the lounge situation as well.
I'm suspect they will extend the hours of the AC and the FL, OR (but not both) the OW LAX Lounge and QF First Lounge to accommodate the need. If not, good luck selling those premium tix to pax expecting a premium ground experience as well prior to boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.