Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LAX-HKG w/ 77W announced, starting 7 September 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: LAX-HKG w/ 77W announced, starting 7 September 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by FWAAA
As I'm sure you know, the LAX departure time is driven by one nearly uncontrollable factor: the landing slot times AA is able to obtain at HKG. It's unfortunate that they didn't build six runways when they constructed that airport.

IIRC, the announcement of LAX-HKG was delayed multiple times due to HKG timing issues.
Yep, slots were the reason why the announcement was delayed until now. Fortunately, they have a great departure time from HKG, as it fills a big gap between CX departure times to LAX.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dfwfa
As an AA f/a, I don't think so. When there are flights from multiple U.S. stations (i.e., more than 1), the company likes to group them together wherever possible for both arrivals at and departures from International stations. That way they need a minimum of ground personnel to work all the flights--in one shift or less if possible.

DFW-HKG departs DFW at 11:30am (a civilized time, don't you think?). It arrives in HKG at 6:35pm the following day.

HKG-DFW departs HKG at 1:40pm arriving in DFW at 2:20pm same day.

If possible (slots available, etc.), I think you will see similar departure and arrival times (on the HKG end) on the LAX-HKG route. Now, your homework is to figure out LAX departure and arrival times working with that pesky International Dateline. Personally, it makes my head hurt just to think about it.
Except that they announced at 8:20PM departure from HKG to LAX today
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Except that they announced at 8:20PM departure from HKG to LAX today
Wow, you really did your "homework"!!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by dfwfa
As an AA f/a, I don't think so. When there are flights from multiple U.S. stations (i.e., more than 1), the company likes to group them together wherever possible for both arrivals at and departures from International stations. That way they need a minimum of ground personnel to work all the flights--in one shift or less if possible.

If possible (slots available, etc.), I think you will see similar departure and arrival times (on the HKG end) on the LAX-HKG route. Now, your homework is to figure out LAX departure and arrival times working with that pesky International Dateline. Personally, it makes my head hurt just to think about it.
Wait. Are you suggesting that AA will have these aircraft return from HKG to their originating stations? That means a 12 hour layover in HKG for the LAX service and a 19 hour one for the DFW service. As opposed to a 5 hour one and (probably with an hour earlier arrival for the DFW-HKG flight) a 3 hour layover.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Well, that LAX departure time is good for traffic.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
The timing both ways are excellent and complement existing services well! Can't wait for this route to start running
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Wow, you really did your "homework"!!
Took me hours of digging deep, but it was worth it!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Took me hours of digging deep, but it was worth it!
!

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
The timing both ways are excellent and complement existing services well! Can't wait for this route to start running
I agree-- I can understand why they fought for these times.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Really liking the scheduled times on this. Might even convert me over from CX with the Internet. Use of a SWU from J>F always helps too. Hoping they up their game on catering as well.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:21 pm

Looks like this opens for booking on the 20th, any speculation on award availability out of the gate? I'm currently going DFW-PEK-HKG on AA/CX on a business award and I think I would rather go DFW-LAX-HKG. Obviously DFW-HKG would be ideal but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Last edited by tys90; Mar 8, 2016 at 8:55 pm
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tys90
Looks like this opens for booking on the 20th, any speculation on award availability out of the gate? I'm currently going DFW-PEK-HKG on AA/CX on a business award and I think I would rather go DFW-LAX-HKG.
Ya'know, if I were to speculate (and that's most definitely all it would be, sheer speculation,) I'd bet there will be more, earlier and easier award inventory than when DFW-HKG first started. Now that's in some ways saying very little-- almost anything would be easier than DFW-HKG was out of the gate, but, FWIW, I bet-- especially with SYD having been added since that time, etc-- and with all those CX HKG flights, etc-- that this will be noticeably easier over time.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Lol at all the service optimism. AA is no CX. It's a decent hard product with everything else being mediocre at best. AA only upped their soft product on the SYD route because QF told them that they had to. Don't expect the same here.

There's no way I'd pay for J ticket on AA. Now using a SWU on the other hand is a different story.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Lol at all the service optimism. AA is no CX. It's a decent hard product with everything else being mediocre at best. AA only upped their soft product on the SYD route because QF told them that they had to. Don't expect the same here.
Agree largely on the first part (AA is no CX and crappy AA soft product, etc)-- although I don't see the "service optimism" you're "LOL"ing in this thread, perhaps I missed it. The second part-- "what to expect" compared to the AA SYD premium cabin service upgrades... we'll check back in on that.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
although I don't see the "service optimism" you're "LOL"ing in this thread, perhaps I missed it.
After rereading the thread I will concede my Lol in regards to the service optimism. I think that I read too deeply into some posts.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
Agree largely on the first part (AA is no CX and crappy AA soft product, etc)-- although I don't see the "service optimism" you're "LOL"ing in this thread, perhaps I missed it.
Hard product in J is almost identical.

CX's catering has been declining. AA's has been improving. AA also has the advantage that it caters specifically for the American palette.

CX's amenity kits in J are disappointing. AA's new one is better.

CX's inflight service is more attentive. AA's is often perfunctory.

CX's and AA's grounds service at LAX is about the same. Obviously, Cathay has the advantage at HKG.

(My partner flew this route 8 times last year and 3 times already this year, all in J class. In his opinion, one isn't clearly better than the other.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.