Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LAX-HKG w/ 77W announced, starting 7 September 2016

ARCHIVE: LAX-HKG w/ 77W announced, starting 7 September 2016

Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
With so many existing CX flights, why not fly to HKG out of PHX? or CLT? or MIA? or ORD (a morning flight to complement CX's afternoon)?
Those markets just aren't in the league of LAX-HKG. CX tried and failed a second ORD-HKG frequency. Couldn't fill the back of the plane. AA flying ORD-HKG on the 788 could potentially work but the 788 would have to go out weight restricted. CLT/PHX don't even have a flight to Asia. MIA-HKG couldn't work because AA doesn't have the ULH aircraft to make it work. LAX-HKG was the only realistic option for AA. It helps that HKG is the largest long haul market out of LAX that has only one carrier operating it. AA will do just fine.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:40 pm

With so many existing CX flights, why not fly to HKG out of PHX? or CLT? or MIA? or ORD (a morning flight to complement CX's afternoon)?
Well, there's a reason there are so many CX flights from LAX...
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Nope, will be much more complicated (and incredibly efficient!) than that, involving several different 77Ws.
Damn I tried! Though how will they fix the (long) time the aircraft spend in HKG if an arriving flight doesn't match up with the DFW flight? Adjust the DFW flight times?

Mind you I'm also just speculating idly as opposed to working.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Damn I tried! Though how will they fix the (long) time the aircraft spend in HKG if an arriving flight doesn't match up with the DFW flight? Adjust the DFW flight times?
Three 77Ws operating a DFW-HKG-LAX-HKG-DFW rotation. I'm thinking the timing on DFW-HKG, HKG-DFW won't change that much due to connections. LAX-HKG will likely be a late night departure, early morning arrival and HKG-LAX an evening departure and an early evening arrival. Market on LAX-HKG-LAX is significantly stronger than DFW-HKG-DFW, even with four dailies on CX.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Longboater
Three 77Ws operating a DFW-HKG-LAX-HKG-DFW rotation. I'm thinking the timing on DFW-HKG, HKG-DFW won't change that much due to connections. LAX-HKG will likely be a late night departure, early morning arrival and HKG-LAX an evening departure and an early evening arrival. Market on LAX-HKG-LAX is significantly stronger than DFW-HKG-DFW, even with four dailies on CX.
Ah, I see. Makes sense.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ldnn1 nailed it on the head: LAX is where the market is. If AA flew PHX-HKG, it would capture zero LAX traffic, as passengers willing to pay high fares want to fly LAX-HKG and reverse, not connect in PHX.

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Well, there's a reason there are so many CX flights from LAX...
Exactly! If there was any appreciable O&D wiling to buy expensive F and J tickets from CLT or PHX (or PHL or LIT), then the Asian airines would already be flying their planes to CLT or PHX (or PHL or LIT).

Delta is a great airline, but its gamble of building a SEA-Asia hub may not pan out. Compared to SFO and LAX, SEA doesn't have enough O&D.

Las Vegas actually has a significant amount of O&D (originating in Asia), but the problem for AA, DL or UA is the absence of a hub at LAS, making it near-impossible to fill the rest of the seats.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
It actually looks to compliment CX's schedule very well, even though they don't have an ATI/can't coordinate schedules:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/american-air...s-to-hong-kong

The three AA/CX redeyes on LAXHKG are going to be seperated by about two hours each.

This also fills the big gap CX has between 430pm and 12am, in between which there is no non-stop to LA departing.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:44 pm

Boy that is awfully late on the LAX departure. The press release looks to be very rushed, more so than the announcement of W.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by FWAAA
or LIT
Hey, I'm certain that LIT-NRT is the next announced route.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Boy that is awfully late on the LAX departure. The press release looks to be very rushed, more so than the announcement of W.
As I'm sure you know, the LAX departure time is driven by one nearly uncontrollable factor: the landing slot times AA is able to obtain at HKG. It's unfortunate that they didn't build six runways when they constructed that airport.

IIRC, the announcement of LAX-HKG was delayed multiple times due to HKG timing issues.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Wow. That 01:55 departure from LAX tho but great news nonetheless. Now the FT question: Will the QF FCL remain open an hour longer now that AA's HKG flight leaves an hour after CX881.

Flight schedules come 07SEP:

LAX-HKG:
CX881 00:55 - 06:45+1
AA*** 01:55 - 08:10+1
CX897 09:30 - 15:25+1
CX885 12:55 - 18:55+1
CX883 23:55 - 05:45+2

HKG-LAX:
CX880 00:05 - 22:10-1
CX898 09:30 - 07:45
CX884 12:55 - 11:10
CX882 16:35 - 14:50
AA*** 20:20 - 18:40

Last edited by nov11; Mar 8, 2016 at 4:10 pm
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
LAX - HKG Flight Schedule announced

LAX - HKG Flight Schedule announced

LAX 01:55 08:10+1 day HKG
HKG 20:20 18:40 LAX
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wrp96
Hey, I'm certain that LIT-NRT is the next announced route.
LIT-HKG has a sexy ring to it!

Thank the OP of this thread for that!

Originally Posted by FWAAA
...IIRC, the announcement of LAX-HKG was delayed multiple times due to HKG timing issues.
at least once, t'was for sure, was originally to be announced at the big bestinLAX thingy, and was pulled at the very last second, because of the alluded-to slot issues.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26039752-post173.html
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MAH4546
It actually looks to compliment CX's schedule very well, even though they don't have an ATI/can't coordinate schedules:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/american-air...s-to-hong-kong

The three AA/CX redeyes on LAXHKG are going to be seperated by about two hours each.

This also fills the big gap CX has between 430pm and 12am, in between which there is no non-stop to LA departing.
From AUS this would work nicely. Depart after work to LAX to make the late night connection (and some quality time at the QF F Lounge ). Coming home, route via DFW. Brilliant!!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Austin787
My guess:
LAX-HKG: departs LAX at midnight and arrives HKG around 6am. This 77W would then fly HKG-DFW.

HKG-LAX: departs HKG around 9pm (using the 77W that arrives from DFW) and arrives LAX around 7:15pm). Connections at LAX would be limited to the west coast; passengers traveling to the central and eastern time zones would be better off taking the HKG-DFW flight.
As an AA f/a, I don't think so. When there are flights from multiple U.S. stations (i.e., more than 1), the company likes to group them together wherever possible for both arrivals at and departures from International stations. That way they need a minimum of ground personnel to work all the flights--in one shift or less if possible.

DFW-HKG departs DFW at 11:30am (a civilized time, don't you think?). It arrives in HKG at 6:35pm the following day.

HKG-DFW departs HKG at 1:40pm arriving in DFW at 2:20pm same day.

If possible (slots available, etc.), I think you will see similar departure and arrival times (on the HKG end) on the LAX-HKG route. Now, your homework is to figure out LAX departure and arrival times working with that pesky International Dateline. Personally, it makes my head hurt just to think about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.