Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

RESPECTFUL discussion of 2016 AA labor union relations issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

As a matter of general policy, discussions of union labor contracts are beyond the scope of the AA fora–which are focused on American Airlines travel and AAdvantage program benefits–and are more suited to the OMNI/PR Forum.

However, given that a significant number of members in this forum who are deeply interested in discussing this topic, this will serve as a single, dedicated thread for discussion of it.

This thread is for respectful exchange of information and viewpoints. All posts remain subject to the FlyerTalk Rules. Be advised that vitriol, personal attacks, name-calling, union/management bashing, etc. will NOT be tolerated and members posting such material will be subject to swift and decisive disciplinary action, which may include suspension of FT posting privileges under the TOS. Further, now that we have a dedicated thread for this discussion, derailment of other threads to this topic will not be permitted.

Those interested in these discussions are invited to participate here. As a reminder and to reiterate, this thread is for AA-specific discussion and speculation only; general pro/anti-union discussion should occur in the OMNI/PR Forum.

~Microwave
for the AA forum moderation team
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus

As a matter of general policy, discussions of union labor contracts are beyond the scope of the AA fora–which are focused on American Airlines travel and AAdvantage program benefits–and are more suited to the OMNI/PR Forum. However, given that a significant number of members in this forum who are deeply interested in discussing this topic, this will serve as a single, dedicated thread for discussion of it.

Please see the Wiki above for this thread's ground rules, and please alert moderators if a member is not following them. Thank you!

~Microwave
for the AA forum moderation team

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 7, 2016 at 12:54 am
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:54 pm

"Going for Bronze" ... seeds of discontent [APA pilot union leader]

"Going for Bronze"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/...irways-merger/

Here we go....
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Last time the pilots were unhappy, it wasn't good. For a moment, it seemed like the merger was going semi-smoothly.

Buckle up.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Buckle up.
Or don't. Not much chance of anyone getting injured on one of those 0.6-mile-per-hour taxis out to the runway
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Where have I heard this before... Oh right, isn't this exactly why the APA wanted Horton out?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Link doesn't work, any chance we can get text in the thread?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Works for me.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Better than the Forbes piece - a bit thin, IMHO - would be the full text of the referenced letter by the president of the APA.

“We have all witnessed a culture gone awry,” Keith Wilson, president of the Allied Pilots Association, wrote Saturday in a letter to the airline’s 15,000 pilots.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Last time the pilots were unhappy, it wasn't good. For a moment, it seemed like the merger was going semi-smoothly.

Buckle up.
Me, too.

Originally Posted by rjw242
Or don't. Not much chance of anyone getting injured on one of those 0.6-mile-per-hour taxis out to the runway
+1

Originally Posted by dat4life
Where have I heard this before... Oh right, isn't this exactly why the APA wanted Horton out?
Wasn't it the pilots that sold the company out from under Mr. Horton to Mr. Parker?

I will watch this with great interest.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
embittered pilots drove this merger: live with it

Pilots drove this merger, against AA management, sent Horton packing, and fully embraced Doug Parker and US Air management. Now that they have it, my pilot sympathy = zero.

Merger has been better than I would have guessed. EXP call centre wait times notwithstanding.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:37 am
Suspended

They have always had trouble against any management or new employee group. They hated Crandall, Carty, Arpey, Horton and now Parker, and they hated the TWA and US Airways groups that came in. Nothing has nor will ever make them happy.

Merger has been going decent so far, I hope these pilots don't screw it up.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Me, too.

+1

Wasn't it the pilots that sold the company out from under Mr. Horton to Mr. Parker?

In fairness they sold out from Carty/Arpey. They had already started down the path of ridding themselves of AA's management before the positive changes were made from Vahidi/Horton regime. Im sure many of us even were surprised by the positive moves from the shortlived Vahidi/Horton run.

It's sad to see, as we had two guys that werent hell bent on doing whatever it takes to raise the stock price even at the potential harm to long term stakeholders (including customers and employees).

When a CEO only takes pay in stock, one could argue his/her decisions could be clouded and distorted for short-term gains in order to make money on your regularly scheduled stock sales. AA, instead of investing profits/cash into lowering debt, increasing pay, increasing customer service levels has instead decided upon mainly buying back stock to prop up the share price.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
These pilots should get a taste of what Corporate America has done to its professional employees over the past 15 years. They would realize just how good that actually have it.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
You can thank re-banked hubs for that.

Originally Posted by Dallas49er

I believe that was actually the FA union leader Ms. Laura Glading.

I don't normally agree with union leaders, however in this case Keith Wilson is pretty much spot on. A culture of cutting corners in the name of being as cheap as possible has developed under the current America West mAAnagement. Not that this is at all surprising. Deep Discount Doug should really look into managing something like a Taco Bell Express (I think he would be a bit swamped at a full Taco Bell).
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
Deep Discount Doug should really look into managing something like a Taco Bell Express (I think he would be a bit swamped at a full Taco Bell).
I can't stop laughing at that one!

Not too far from the truth though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.