Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: Madrid-Barajas Intl. Airport (MAD) - Arrival, Depart, Connect, etc.

Guide: Madrid-Barajas Intl. Airport (MAD) - Arrival, Depart, Connect, etc.

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 11, 19, 11:11 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to MAD Airport page on aa.com

Link to Aeropuerto Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas website (English or Spanish).

Link to FT-AA Welcome and Lounge Dashboard page (for MAD lounges information).

For Minimum Connect Times, please see post #1.

Aeropuerto Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport map

Madrid-Barajas Terminal’s 4 and 4-S

International one world flights arrive and depart Terminal 4-S (satellite). International arriving passengers will process immigration here. Queues can be lengthy; talking the rightmost non-EU citizen queues is advisable, as the EU citizen queues to the right of non-EU citizen lines often open up to non-EU citizens in that particular queue, halving the time spent in queue.

Passengers in Iberia Plus and Iberia Sapphire and Emerald equivalents members on flights over four hours long are welcome to use the Premium Traveller Lounge Arrivals lounge. Link to One Mile At a Time review.

Connecting passengers on single ticketing / PNR will not have to retrieve baggage for customs inspection, which will be accomplished at their destination - Schengen or non-Schengen.

Connecting passengers departing Terminal 4-S will also undergo security here.

Connecting passengers to Schengen and non-T-4 destinations will undergo security procedures in their departure terminal.

Schengen and domestic Spain flights generally arrive and depart Terminal 4.

The terminals are connected by subterranean train accessible from the lowest floor. (It is advisable to use the lifts / elevators over the escalators.)

Connections to other terminals are via landslide shuttle busses.

There are two metro stations: the first one is "Aeropuerto T1-T2-T3", situated at the centre of the terminal T2 floor 1; the second one is "Aeropuerto T4", situated at terminal T4 floor -1. Travel will most often require connections at Nuevos Ministerios station.

Aeropuerto - Nuevos Ministerios Linea 8 Metro

Related threads:

Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 10, 15, 11:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Arrow Guide: Madrid-Barajas Intl. Airport (MAD) - Arrival, Depart, Connect, etc.

Minimum connect times for T-4 <—-> T-4S and requiring interterminal connections from Iberia.

I personally recommend interterminal separate ticket connections where you’ll be required to collect and recheck baggage, such as arriving on AA or IB at T-4S and, say, UX / Air Europa - Schengen at T-2 180 minutes.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 31, 18 at 1:38 pm
Old Mar 6, 16, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, National
AA and MAD / Madrid Connection, Arrival, Departure, etc.

I am not sure if this is the proper Forum but hopefully it will be redirected if I am in the wrong place.

Flying on an AA award ticket (on AA) to MAD (from JFK) and will connect to IB for a flight to BCN. Is 2 1/2 hours sufficient time to make a connection? We land at 8:30 am and there is an 11:00 flight. It seems like a reasonable amount of time (according to the MAD airport map they are in the same terminal). But, I assume we have to clear customs and was wondering about others' experiences before booking that flight.

Thanks for any insight!
Old Mar 6, 16, 5:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Plenty of time.

You will have to clear immigration in T4S, take the train over to T4, clear Security and you are back in the T4 departure lounge. Your flight to BCN will depart from a J gate.
Old Mar 6, 16, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, National
Thanks for that info.
Old Mar 6, 16, 8:20 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
You will also have lounge access in MAD - this is in T4, after you have cleared immigration and security. You'll have to go upstairs one level from the departure gates/duty free and go to Sala Dalí. Not that easy to find!
Old Mar 7, 16, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by JMKSTL View Post
I am not sure if this is the proper Forum but hopefully it will be redirected if I am in the wrong place.

Flying on an AA award ticket (on AA) to MAD (from JFK) and will connect to IB for a flight to BCN. Is 2 1/2 hours sufficient time to make a connection? We land at 8:30 am and there is an 11:00 flight. It seems like a reasonable amount of time (according to the MAD airport map they are in the same terminal). But, I assume we have to clear customs and was wondering about others' experiences before booking that flight.

Thanks for any insight!
Usually plenty of time. What time of year is the flight?
Old Jan 21, 17, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.7MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Enough Time?

I keep getting presented a 55 minute connection in MAD (ORD-MAD-ZRH) by AA VAC and was wondering if this is as risky as I expect. There is a later flight MAD-ZRH as the one I'm looking at is around 9 AM, but I was just wondering about the connection particulars. And getting out of ORD on time in early March is also a gamble.

Thoughts? (Never transited MAD before.)
Old Jan 21, 17, 9:27 pm

I've made a 50 minute connection in MAD (TLV - MAD - ORD). It was IB to IB, all in 4S, and fortunately TLV-MAD landed early, albeit at a stand with a bus to terminal. It's doable, but there is no margin for any delays. It depends on your situation, but I'd try the 55 min connection as long as there is a later flight as a fall-back if you miss it.
Old Jan 21, 17, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA PPro 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Madison Guy View Post
I keep getting presented a 55 minute connection in MAD (ORD-MAD-ZRH) by AA VAC and was wondering if this is as risky as I expect. There is a later flight MAD-ZRH as the one I'm looking at is around 9 AM, but I was just wondering about the connection particulars. And getting out of ORD on time in early March is also a gamble.

My experience is that immigration/security at MAD is really efficient and quick, but 55 mins is awfully short, with no margin of error.
Old Jan 22, 17, 12:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Madison Guy View Post

It can be done, but IMO, 55 minutes can be tight if Non-EU Citizen immigration queues are long. If so, stay right because if the EU Citizen queue empties they will move non-EUC people there. Ivevtransited MAD many times, and I'd be up tight about a 55 minute connection. (I've seen long security queues on occasion, and long immigration queues in T4-S on occasion.)

OTOH if you're on a single PNR, they'll put you on the next flight with availability.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 23, 17 at 9:38 am
Old Jan 22, 17, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.7MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Greg76248 View Post
I've made a 50 minute connection in MAD (TLV - MAD - ORD). It was IB to IB, all in 4S, and fortunately TLV-MAD landed early, albeit at a stand with a bus to terminal. It's doable, but there is no margin for any delays. It depends on your situation, but I'd try the 55 min connection as long as there is a later flight as a fall-back if you miss it.
Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
My experience is that immigration/security at MAD is really efficient and quick, but 55 mins is awfully short, with no margin of error.
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
It can be done, but IMO, 55 minutes can be tight if Non-EU Citizen immigration queues are long. If so, stay right because if the EU Citizen queue empties theybwill move non-EUC people there. Ivevtransited MAD many times, and I'd be up tight about a 55 minute connection.

OTOH if you're on a single PNR, they'll put you on the next flight with availability.
Thanks everyone. It would be a single PNR, AA codeshares both on IB, and there is a later flight. So I may chance it hoping if I misconnect there will still be biz seats open on the next flight. Since the first flight is 8:45 AM and the next isn't until 3:45 PM, I really rather make the first.
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:13 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
We went through MAD last weekend on the way to SVQ, so the dynamic is the same. 55 minutes would have been easy, even if not spacious on time. The train from T4S->T4 (including escalators/elevators and such) will likely be the longest part of the journey. Immigration was very quick.

With the longer connection, you'll have access to Sala Dali, as mentioned. Medium-level lounge in terms of offerings.

On the way back, go straight to T4S and the Sala Velazquez. Much better.

Cheers.
Old Jan 22, 17, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
I swear its been 3+ years since ive seen a post from brp.

I generally agree with the posts in this thread, however my last trip through was a disaster. I flew OPO-MAD-DFW and in OPO they couldnt print my MAD-DFW boarding pass. What ensued was a mess trying to get a BP in MAD (which was a 3 hour ordeal owing to ...... staff and one canceled flight).
Old Jan 22, 17, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Wear comfortable clothing and running shoes, as there's no margin for error. The last time I took the ORD-MAD flight, it was 20 minutes late and a mad dash from T4S to the end of T4 to get our (similar) connection. We made it just as the door was closing. As brp mentioned, almost no line for immigration at that hour, but even if the flight had been on time, we would've been hard-pressed to get to our high K gate at a normal walking pace.

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
I generally agree with the posts in this thread, however my last trip through was a disaster. I flew OPO-MAD-DFW and in OPO they couldnt print my MAD-DFW boarding pass. What ensued was a mess trying to get a BP in MAD (which was a 3 hour ordeal owing to ...... staff and one canceled flight).
The contract OPO ground staff really seem to struggle. They couldn't check my bag through all the way through on separate tickets (both IB), which forced me to schlep needlessly from T4S to baggage claim at T4 so I could recheck it. (Naturally, the bags took their time in arriving, so I had to abandon mine and hustle back to T4S.) Two agents and a supervisor spent at least 15 minutes trying to sort it out before throwing in the towel.
Old Jan 23, 17, 5:51 am

How are the lines at 2:40pm T4-T4S?

Search this Thread