Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: Madrid-Barajas Intl. Airport (MAD) - Arrival, Depart, Connect, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to MAD Airport page on aa.com
Link to Aeropuerto Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas website (English or Spanish).
Link to FT-AA Welcome and Lounge Dashboard page (for MAD lounges information).

For Minimum Connect Times, please see post #1.

Madrid-Barajas Terminal’s 4 and 4-S
International one world flights arrive and depart Terminal 4-S (satellite). International arriving passengers will process immigration here. Queues can be lengthy; talking the rightmost non-EU citizen queues is advisable, as the EU citizen queues to the right of non-EU citizen lines often open up to non-EU citizens in that particular queue, halving the time spent in queue.

Passengers in Iberia Plus and Iberia Sapphire and Emerald equivalents members on flights over four hours long are welcome to use the Premium Traveller Lounge Arrivals lounge. Link to One Mile At a Time review.

Connecting passengers on single ticketing / PNR will not have to retrieve baggage for customs inspection, which will be accomplished at their destination - Schengen or non-Schengen.

Connecting passengers departing Terminal 4-S will also undergo security here.

Connecting passengers to Schengen and non-T-4 destinations will undergo security procedures in their departure terminal.

Schengen and domestic Spain flights generally arrive and depart Terminal 4.

The terminals are connected by subterranean train accessible from the lowest floor. (It is advisable to use the lifts / elevators over the escalators.)

Connections to other terminals are via landslide shuttle busses.

There are two metro stations: the first one is "Aeropuerto T1-T2-T3", situated at the centre of the terminal T2 floor 1; the second one is "Aeropuerto T4", situated at terminal T4 floor -1. Travel will most often require connections at Nuevos Ministerios station.
Related threads:
Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Guide: Madrid-Barajas Intl. Airport (MAD) - Arrival, Depart, Connect, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by DTCFlyer
Hi all
It's been a while my last visit to Barajas Airport (MAD), would be great if someone could help me.
Any Smoking areas inside T4/T4S? I read there's just one VIP lounge T1 with a cigar lounge inside, just can smoke outside the terminal.
My mother have 9h layover, she's not an avid traveller, neither speak Spanish/English to clear immigration/security out / in (travelling biz with IB)
Would be grateful if someone could advise.
If you feel adventurous, with a 9h layover, you can take the train into central Madrid for some sight seeing. The link below provides information and perhaps you can gain a translation to your native language. My wife and I have been to Madrid five times (three times as a connection) and did this with one of our longer delays.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IB Silver, TP Gold
Thanks for the advice. Don't think my mother will do it.
Was just wondering about the smoking area
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IB Silver, TP Gold
That's what i thought after some research.
She will need to clear immigration / security
Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:37 pm

DFW>MAD

Just checking to see if I have this right.
I fly july AA DFW>MAD Business class. Arrive T4 S. as final destination. My understanding is I go through passport control there then to T4 to get checked bags at bag claim hall 11.
I assume I can take the people mover rather than the shuttle bus to T4 even though I am not connecting? IOW, my boarding pass from my arrival will get me on the people mover?

I am meeting a friend from Germany who will be at the adjacent bag claim hall 10. It appears the same arrivals lobby serves 10 and 11. My friend is blind and Might need some assistance and I arrive 1.5 hours before him.

And , finally, does the arrivals lobby have some food and drink kiosks etc.?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:11 pm

You take a train from T4S to T4 after passport control.

Unfortunately, you cannot get back from hall 11 to 10. Hall 11 is just a segregated area for flights from outside the customs union. It is connected to Hall 10, but through one-way doors.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Sorry, running late but you can get from 10 to 11 though so just have the friend coming from Germany meet you there. Though honestly it's probably easiest to just meet at the restaurant just outside the exit regardless.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:54 am

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like meeting at the restaurant is ideal. I assume that is in the arrivals lobby.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:45 am

Yes, you cannot miss it, just after exiting baggage claim (as you know, baggage claim is not a public area in European airports even for domestic flights). If you arrive much earlier than your friend, waiting in the restaurant is probably much better than in Hall 11, where there is nothing.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:48 pm

Flying ORD-MAD-ATH in J, with a 7-hour layover. We want to run into town real quick and look around for a couple hours, but we'll also be pretty badly in need of a shower. Tell me if there's a problem with this plan:

Arrive T4S? Deplane, head for the Velazquez Lounge, grab a quick shower. Leave lounge, go through immigration (no need to do anything with checked bag, since this isn't our final destination). Catch a cab downtown. Come back a few hours later, this time to T4. Go through security & immigration. Head to the plane (or the lounge, depending on time).

Will this work? Will we be able to get to the Velasquez lounge, or will we be routed out of the secure area and into immigration? If so, is there an arrivals lounge or something we can use in 4S?

It looks like there may be a service and/or lockers we can use to store our carry-ons if we want to. Any idea where in the airport they are?
Old May 6, 2019, 4:39 pm

You cannot go to the departure area of T4S without a T4S boarding pass. Also, when you arrive from ORD you are already out of the secure area. Even if you had a T4S connection you would have to go through security. Whatever you do, you first have to go through immigration and to T4 on the transit. Once there, you have two options:

- Pass the security check and go airside to the T4 lounge. Then leave and come back.
- Go to the landside arrivals lounge. If you are arriving on IB long-haul J you have access (in theory it is only for passengers with final destination in MAD, but they don't check this). This is probably your best option if you only want a quick shower. The lounge is next to the station for the metro and commuter trains (you can take a train downtown).
bobert24 likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Yllanes
You cannot go to the departure area of T4S without a T4S boarding pass. Also, when you arrive from ORD you are already out of the secure area. Even if you had a T4S connection you would have to go through security. Whatever you do, you first have to go through immigration and to T4 on the transit. Once there, you have two options:

- Pass the security check and go airside to the T4 lounge. Then leave and come back.
- Go to the landside arrivals lounge. If you are arriving on IB long-haul J you have access (in theory it is only for passengers with final destination in MAD, but they don't check this). This is probably your best option if you only want a quick shower. The lounge is next to the station for the metro and commuter trains (you can take a train downtown).
Thank you. I figured somehow we would get routed so that we wouldn't be able to access the secure area immediately after deplaning, but I wouldn't have guessed that we'd have to go to T4 regardless. That answers a lot of questions.

In case anybody else is looking for luggage storage options, I found lots (some on-airport, some downtown): https://www.esmadrid.com/en/left-lug...ilities-madrid
Old May 8, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Air Rooms Madrid

Late arrival/early next day departure so I decided to stay at the on site airport hotel. Any experiences to share; including how to find it? I hear it can be tricky!

Thanks
Old May 8, 2019, 12:46 pm

You just have to follow the signs for the Metro/RENFE station, it is next to it, although a little hidden by the escalators leading up to the departures area.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by Yllanes
You just have to follow the signs for the Metro/RENFE station, it is next to it, although a little hidden by the escalators leading up to the departures area.
Thanks!
Old May 21, 2019, 11:07 am
pjs

Flying IB MIA-MAD-DBV with MIA-MAD in biz. We have a 4 hour connection time and the MAD-DBV flight usually goes from T4 H gates. If I am understanding correctly, we would take the train on arrival to T4, go through transit security, then visit the IB lounge in T4 before leaving from the H gates there. Is that correct? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.