Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cruise reservation: experience? Current promo up to 100K bonus miles

Old Mar 6, 16, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA

Has anyone used AA Cruise site to make a cruise reservation?

AA Cruise currently has a promotion of awarding up to 100,000 bonus miles (10 miles per dollar spent) for the booking made until March 8. The price is somewhat higher than I can get from online travel agents or even expedia.com and travelocity.com, but the extra miles looks really tempting.

If you had a chance to use it, did you get your miles without any issue?

Thanks.
Old Mar 6, 16, 2:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
I've used it several times an never had any issues. Iles post a few weeks after the cruise is over. I usually pay for several room for my whole family and get all the miles.
If you've seen lower fare, call them and see if they can match the price.
Old Mar 6, 16, 5:39 am

Programs: AA PLT
I've used AA cruises, no complaints. My agent was very nice and checked up on me several times, service was great! Miles posted and everything else went well. (The cruise had to be paid by credit card in the AAdvantage account holder's name.)

They have a "lowest price guarantee" so I second FAA1996s suggestion to see if they can watch.
Old Mar 6, 16, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I booked one on Friday and had a good experience with the booking process. I am wondering whether to book my air through them as well. Not sure if I can get more miles that way too.
Old Mar 6, 16, 8:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by apeortdz View Post
I booked one on Friday and had a good experience with the booking process. I am wondering whether to book my air through them as well. Not sure if I can get more miles that way too.
I believe there are a few thoughts:

You won't earn double miles on your credit card if your card offers 2x for AA purchases.

If this is AA Vacations:

If you're going to be on the ground at beginning or end of the cruise for a few nights, you can often purchase air and land packages at a good price - some report actually dumping the hotel for their own arrangements just for the often sizable discounts. Flights are upgradable, earn full EQM, etc.

If it's not AA Vacations: check out using them anyway. See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Mar 6, 16, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FAA1996 View Post
If you've seen lower fare, call them and see if they can match the price.
Thanks. I tried to price-match over the phone, but the agent told me that this needs to be done through online form submission, which will be responded within 72 hours. My concern is that they will later deny my claim because of the potential price change in those 72 hours.
Old Mar 6, 16, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FAA1996 View Post
I've used it several times an never had any issues. Iles post a few weeks after the cruise is over. I usually pay for several room for my whole family and get all the miles.
Hi. May I ask you whether you received your miles based upon the whole price including tax and fees? Or was it based on the fare only?
Old Mar 7, 16, 2:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Personally, sitting on a devaluing pile of AA miles I'd rather take 10% back from a decent TA or go use CruiseCompete and save more cash especially if price match doesn't work.

You can also often get 10% back for OTA cruise bookings using things like eBates.

Cruises, like hotels, have much higher markup than airfares. Savvy customers can save money here whether that be in the form of cash, miles, or on board credit (OBC).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: