Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage award on BA downgraded [following an aircraft change]

Old Mar 5, 2016, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Hi,

I booked a First ticked through AA for a BA First ticket. Later I noticed the later flight changed to the 789 (new first) so I changed my flight (longer lay over but thanks to Concord Room enjoyable).
Now I noticed (got no email/ call) that BA downgraded me to CW.
Equipment change ( no first on the flight) and the earlier flight was changed to the 789 > bit no award tickets available probably due to the fact that instead of two flights with first only one has it and that has only 8 seats.

Should they not have asked/offered to rebook me instead of downgrading? Is there any legal recourse ( HAJ-LHR-EWR)?
So far BA says "You have to contact AA" and even "AA changed the ticked" and AA states the same "you need to contact BA"

So far I received no notification and/or refund of overpaid miles or anything beside the sentiment "You problem. We don't care"
Old Mar 5, 2016, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
EC261. 75% refund of the ticket price. There is a thread somewhere... You need to push a bit and prepare for a lot of back and fro-ing, as BA cannot reimburse your miles and AA will say they are not the operating carrier...

Primary responsibility is with AA I believe.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Your contract is with AA; it is there issue legally.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here you go: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...61-2004-a.html
Old Mar 5, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
When is the flight? If it is an equipment change, I am guessing that it is quite soon.

Would AA or BA be willing to book you to JFK instead, or even PHL if that is more convenient for you?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 5:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The operating airline is BA, so they would be the focus of any EC261 process. However I wouldn't go there if you can avoid it, BA are unlikely to make this easy for you. The ticketing, on the other hand, is with AA, so I would work with them to come up with a suitable solution in this case. BA don't own your ticket and will be loathed to make changes as a result. So this may well involve AA using their "oneworld liaison desk" to resolve. And there are plenty of options if you're ok with JFK instead.

Normally AA have a good reputation for resolving flight changes, and BA a not-so-good reputation. However in the case of a BA metal First bookings it's the other way around since if it had been BA ticket, YouFirst would have ownership of the resolution and they have a very good record of coming up with acceptable solutions in this scenario.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
involuntary downgrade [following an aircraft change]

JFK and Philly would add 1 and 2 h to my journey (and the costs for uber).
BA could just rebook me onto the earlier flight.

AA always uses the old "nothing we can do" line. Any phone number I can call beside going through the whole process again and being transferred several times?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

involuntary downgrade [following an aircraft change]

Flight is 5/23 so still some time out

The changed from 777 and 777 ( early and late flight) to 777 and 789 ( when I changed) to 789 - 788
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by navylad
Your contract is with AA; it is there issue legally.
No it is not. In the case of an involuntary downgrade BA is the one liable not the ticketing agent

The legal recourse is to claim back 75% of the price paid ( including surcharges ) from BA after the flight
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
From what I understand, this is an AA award. The flight is in more than two months.
You could wait and claim involuntary downgrade and a long fight for the reimbursement of some miles (75%).
Or you could already ask for transforming your award ticket in J; but is it part of a return ticket?
Or you could try to find an itin with F to JFK with award space and ask AA to rebook you.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the flight is 2 months out you have the right to cancel it for free and rebook. That is all. No 75% claims to be made here.

Strictly speaking, you don't even have a right to a refund of the fare difference. In any case your issue is with AA.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by brunos
From what I understand, this is an AA award. The flight is in more than two months.
You could wait and claim involuntary downgrade and a long fight for the reimbursement of some miles (75%).
Or you could already ask for transforming your award ticket in J; but is it part of a return ticket?
Or you could try to find an itin with F to JFK with award space and ask AA to rebook you.
With reference to the suggestion highlighted: I'm not convinced this option would achieve the EC261 outcome described. blitzen is now booked in Club World and if on the day of departure he travels in Club, technically in the eyes of EC261 there would be no involuntary downgrade.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I'm going to move this thread over to the American Airlines AAdvantage forum for insight and advice on how best to advance this issue with AAdvantage.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:22 am
Original Poster

There is space to JFK but that would add at least an hour commute time and Uber costs

There is space to EWR on the earlier flight. Just not award space.
BA tells me they can't rebook that AA has to do so > is that correct as BA is the only one who could open a seat up for me but then how would aa know > impossible coordination
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by blitzen
There is space to EWR on the earlier flight. Just not award space.
BA tells me they can't rebook that AA has to do so > is that correct as BA is the only one who could open a seat up for me but then how would aa know > impossible coordination
My understanding is that AA would have to make the request to BA to open the space, so yes you would go through AA to get it done. It's not impossible though - it can and does happen, but may require some persistence.

The other option is to accept CW and insist on a refund of the miles difference from AA, which should be forthcoming.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.