Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXP told that Upgrade Must Be Requested at DFW AC + Crappy Seat Assignment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

After flying in from HKG we were waiting for our connection to AUS at the DFW AC, when my wife noticed that although we had booked our tickets in August, we were not on the airport (within 4 hours) upgrade list.

She went up to the front desk to try to understand what was going on, and the "AAngel" explained to her that we always needed to request the UG. Even before the "auto/complementary" upgrade request policy was in place we would have known to make that for the domestic segments. My wife tried to explain that this was not the case to this person, but she was insistent.

Not wanting to get into any kind of confrontation, she asked if they could add us to the list, and low and behold, not surprisingly, we were #1 and #2 respectively. Unfortunately, it was too late, F was full.

To compound the issue is that our original booking had us sitting in MCE next to each other. When we were assigned our seats on this flight, I was in MCE, and my wife, also an EXP, was assigned a middle seat near the back, although an aisle seat, also in MCE was available.

Thankfully we got her moved up, and the flight is very short, but it was a truly bizarre set of circumstances we encountered..
Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
weird
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Are you sure you requested the upgrade when you bought the tickets? Did you ask why your seats had been changed?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That was no "AAngel".

What kind of upgrades? SWU?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
I have received the same explanation at the DFW AC in Terminal A. She further explained that even though the complimentary upgrade was requested at time of purchase, an additional upgrade request is required after checkin.

I also didn't feel like arguing with her, but my anecdotal evidence suggests that the only time I'm not automatically added to the airport upgrade list is when I am manually checked in by an agent and perhaps also more than 4 hours beforehand. Perhaps there is a step that an agent must do to manually add you to the airport upgrade list?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Microwave
Are you sure you requested the upgrade when you bought the tickets? Did you ask why your seats had been changed?
Yes (not our first rodeo ), and yes, but no explanation given..
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
That was no "AAngel".

What kind of upgrades? SWU?
SWU for the LH, and always, before the new system, requested the UG for the domestic segment(s).
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
I find I am often not on any upgrade list for domestic segments after inbound international flights. For these I typically check in at the airport with an agent. I have noticed this for some time.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I have found that if you check in early for a connecting flight your upgrade request will sometimes drop. However, if you rerequest it you will go back to your original place in the que. When I check in early for a connecting flight I always double check at the AC that I am on the list.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by flightrisk
I also didn't feel like arguing with her, but my anecdotal evidence suggests that the only time I'm not automatically added to the airport upgrade list is when I am manually checked in by an agent and perhaps also more than 4 hours beforehand. Perhaps there is a step that an agent must do to manually add you to the airport upgrade list?
I have the same evidence. No UG confirmed in advance of check in, did an agent check in and eventually noticed I wasn't on the UG list. AC added me. It was definitely more than 3 hours prior to the flight.

Other times, when checking in online or at a kiosk, no such issue with it automatically rolling over.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:14 pm
tsz

I can vouch for that as well—at least two times when I'm checked in manually by an agent (e.g. flights to/from China) my domestic leg would drop me from the upgrade list. Once that happened w/in 2 hours of departure though.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by fanger
I find I am often not on any upgrade list for domestic segments after inbound international flights. For these I typically check in at the airport with an agent. I have noticed this for some time.
Sometimes I have found out that I'm not on the visible upgrade list but my upgrade does still clear. Normally happens if I used a SWU on the Long Haul to the USA and am connecting to a domestic flight. I believe this is because I end up being listed as DSR rather than upgrade.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EP
if it is SWU that dies not clear prior to moving to the airport, the request WILL cancel out and go out of the PNR. when you checkin, you have to ask to be moved to the airport list. Your timestamp is preserved from when you originally created a waitlist for the SWU upgrade. thus, if u go to an agent and say "hey i should be on the upgrade list"...they tap, tap, tap snd say "nooooo, i don't see you," this is why. u have to be added.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; AC 100K
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
After flying in from HKG we were waiting for our connection to AUS at the DFW AC, when my wife noticed that although we had booked our tickets in August, we were not on the airport (within 4 hours) upgrade list.

She went up to the front desk to try to understand what was going on, and the "AAngel" explained to her that we always needed to request the UG. Even before the "auto/complementary" upgrade request policy was in place we would have known to make that for the domestic segments. My wife tried to explain that this was not the case to this person, but she was insistent.

Not wanting to get into any kind of confrontation, she asked if they could add us to the list, and low and behold, not surprisingly, we were #1 and #2 respectively. Unfortunately, it was too late, F was full.

To compound the issue is that our original booking had us sitting in MCE next to each other. When we were assigned our seats on this flight, I was in MCE, and my wife, also an EXP, was assigned a middle seat near the back, although an aisle seat, also in MCE was available.

Thankfully we got her moved up, and the flight is very short, but it was a truly bizarre set of circumstances we encountered..
Thanks for posting this. We'll be doing this same route in a few weeks, and it's good to have a head's up.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
This sounds like a bug in the system and should be reported to AA. If enough people say something about it, they may pay attention and make a fix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.