Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What is going on with PHL-BOS? [passenger and traffic increase]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat

Is this a normal pattern for this time of year, or just a crazy increase in demand? I've been flying this route bi-monthly for years, and I was actually enjoying the E1XX flights back and forth. I don't recall this change in years past.

As of the new year it seems, they've got packed A321s and A319s mostly and BOS B terminal is a madhouse because it doesn't seem made for this.

Makes it VERY unenjoyable!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I think they at least temporarily decreased frequencies and therefore increased average aircraft size to compensate. A number of E190s are in the paint shop for new AA livery and likely some are getting routine heavy maintenance.

BOS is one of the top business destinations out of PHL, and BOS is far enough away by train that flying is much faster, and of course there is traffic is funneling through the hub onwards to BOS as well, so these flights can be quite busy and have pretty much always been.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
Yeah, the previous flights were always pretty full (for the most part). I understand the importance/popularity of this route. It just seemed like such a sudden surge that I thought there must have been something going on. The decreased frequency makes sense. Thanks for the comments.

It doesn't seem that the BOS GAs love this much either! =)
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Since early January I haven't even seen the regular BOS-PHL routes when I book my tickets for weekly Mon/Thu work travel at peak times.
Booked a personal trip last week to PHL in early April, Fri/Sun. 321's both ways with almost all the seats open.
Suspect consulting travel day volume might be higher and the theories that aircrafts are out for their facelift have some merit.
Keep in mind Feb school breaks in New England are staggered depending on the state's schedule and families connecting through PHL to ____ warm place for vacation may be a factor, too.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
I haven't seen PHL offered as a connection as much anymore from BOS. To get to smaller markets in the SE, used to be PHL or CLT; now it's almost always through DCA.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:23 am

I noticed this too, and my first hunch was that AA is trying to combat B6 seriously on this route. As many here predicted, the B6 BOS-PHL is alive and kicking at this point, but don't know how well it's doing (cannot tell by the flight load, of course, but B6 flights have been packed as well).

For me PHL-BOS is one of my most frequently traveled routes, and I use all of AA, B6 and Amtrak. (B6 if I have to fly coach, AA if I want and can fly in F, and Amtrak if I have time or want to stop over along the way).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.