Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE 2012-14: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, all changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE 2012-14: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, all changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
This is a case of HUACA (hang up and call again). [I very strongly believe that the agent you were speaking to was incorrect in wanting to collect a fee for the change.]
I agree. As I understand it, this is a TXL-HNL award with a gateway stopover at JFK (these can't be booked anymore, but they can be completed, and changes are allowed). OP is not changing the origin (TXL) or the destination (HNL). Just the routing. Routing changes are free. Call again.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:02 pm

Thanks

On my first call they verified with a supervisor that I could. to make the change. Called again and not issue, the change was made. Now in business in a 3 class plane out of JFK which as I understand it is slightly better than the recliner in first that I would have had out of PHL.

Yes,this was a stopover award. It was a great system but unfortunately it is gone. We will enjoy this last freebie.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Because it's stopover change on a grandfathered award, change should be allowed no fee.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by flightmedic
Now in business in a 3 class plane out of JFK which as I understand it is slightly better than the recliner in first that I would have had out of PHL.
Not slightly better - much better. Enjoy!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Adding, deleting, changing stopovers does not incur a fee on the pre-April 8th, 2014 awards.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Based on JonNYC's breakdown listed at http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=5847 , I don't believe that the agent was incorrect
Appreciate the linkage! Out of curiosity (and, again, very much appreciate the linking-- so please don't take it the wrong way) how did you read it as such?

Originally Posted by travelingbetter
• Adding, deleting or changing a stopover where stopovers are allowed (e.g North American gateway on One-Way Flex Awards issued prior to April 8, 2014)
EDIT to add: now I see that your reply was before it was clear that this was a before April 8 award.

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 28, 2014 at 6:22 pm
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Appreciate the linkage! Out of curiosity (and, again, very much appreciate the linking-- so please don't take it the wrong way) how did you read it as such?
I read the 1st flight after the stopover point as being the origin airport for the journey being undertaken (given that the sector(s) before the stopover have already been flown) - didn't realise that it only applied to the origin of the whole ticket

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 28, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:06 am

Thanks for all of the advice. Lots to consider.

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
Bottom line for me: I wouldn't accept anything that you aren't OK with keeping. Generally there's only one free change allowed due to a schedule change, even if something better opens up later.

That being said, don't lock yourself into your original itinerary too much- if there's no way to get to ORD on that day for your flight, look at other routings. If it is a AA flight, they may be able to make space.
I had thought that there were no change fees for an AA award as long as the origination-destination are the same (even with no status). Is that correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.