Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Weight & balance related changes, downgrades, seating, denied boarding etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Seat Loss / Change Due to Weight and Balance Issues

Weight and balance requirements are established for each aircraft type, and they may be impacted by such factors as runway length and airport density altitude (altitude calculated with temperature and humidity). Passenger and baggage, fuel load, how they are distributed from the center of gravity, etc. are part of these calculations, are all required to be done before the aircraft can fly.

Additionally, there are generally different weight and balance tables for takeoff, level flight and landing. The smaller the aircraft, the more critical the W&B calculations are.

See FAA Weight and Balance Handbook here (PDF)

These requirements may cause fewer seats to be sold, denial of boarding, baggage removal and passenger seat redistribution, including downgrades.

FAA classifies aircraft as follows:
  • 71 or more passenger seats, large-cabin aircraft; weight changes of +/- 10 lbs must be noted
  • 30-70 passenger seats, medium-cabin aircraft; weight changes of +/- 5 lbs must be noted
  • 5-29 passenger seats, small-cabin aircraft; weight changes of +/- 1.0 lbs must be noted
Larger aircraft are dividen into zones. With the weight changes described above, you can see how one passenger moved from zone 1 to zone 2 might seem insignificant to a passenger but might be crucial to flying legally under FARs.

Q. How does AA calculate passenger weight?

FAA Advisory Circular AC120-27E establishes these weights:

Summer weights:
Average adult passenger weight 190 lb
Average adult male passenger weight 200 lb
Average adult female passenger weight 179 lb
Child weight (2 years to less than 13 years of age) 82 lb
Add 5 lb per in winter

Further information on passenger and baggage weights may be seen here (PDF), governed by Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 91, subpart K of part 91, and parts 121, 125, and 135.

Print Wikipost

Weight & balance related changes, downgrades, seating, denied boarding etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Plat, DL 2 MM Flying Colonel, AA EXP MM, CO,NW,UA, MM, Hilton, Hyatt Diamond, QF Club Lifetime
Arrow Weight & balance related changes, downgrades, seating, denied boarding etc.

Last evening, during the end of my MR from AUS, SFO, BOS, BOS SFO, LAX, AUS, flight 2246 on a MadDog 80, was delayed thirty five minutes.
There was a tear in the rear baggage compartment.
All the bags had to be stowed in the middle, and forward baggage compartments.
The GA came on board and announced that four people who were
currently seated in FC would have to relinquish their seats and return to
Steerage. They selected the returnees by order of their status. There were
four unhappy campers who went back.
Later, I observed that the FA brought food and drinks back to the displaced ones.
The GA stated that the FC passengers had to move to the rear to balance the plane.
I've not seen this happen before, except on much smaller aircraft.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 25, 2015 at 4:48 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by bobemac
I've not seen this happen before, except on much smaller aircraft.
That's because on the mainline aircraft they can move bags between the forward and aft cargo areas to take care of the balance. When they lost the ability to do that they were in the same situation as the smaller aircraft and had nothing to move expect passengers.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I understand the weight and balance issues that require moving people, might it have been possible to move several people out of rows 7-11 or so to the back of the plane and thus avoid the need to move people out of F?
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I haven't been bumped out of First Class, but I have been moved from 9C back to the rear exit row for weight distribution purposes on a very lightly loaded flight from LAS to JFK.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bobemac
...They selected the returnees by order of their status....
This should be based on weight right? What if the 4 with least status were kids?
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by riteshraja
This should be based on weight right? What if the 4 with least status were kids?
I believe they use formulas to determine how many average people need to be where. I always found this comical because on one UA flight I took they came on and IDBd someone (last to check in) and it was someone who couldn't have weighed more than 100 lbs. But I guess the plane then had the proper number of people based on the formula, even though we each could have had 25lb carryons. Kids generally are not considered to be "people" as I understood from that incident, so I suspect they would have moved 4 adults.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
FAA Rule 8300.112 establishes these weights:
Adult passenger 205 lbs.
Carry-on item(s) 20 lbs.
Checked bag, ea. 30 lbs.
Total 255 lbs.

No need to weigh each passenger.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
This should be based on weight right?
No

What if the 4 with least status were kids?
The other pax in first would have gave a prayer of thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by FWAAA
While I understand the weight and balance issues that require moving people, might it have been possible to move several people out of rows 7-11 or so to the back of the plane and thus avoid the need to move people out of F?
It's all about leverage, i.e. as the center of gravity on MD80 is quite far to the rear, so it's not just about the weight to be moved, but also about the distance from the center point of that weight. Less pax have to be moved from the farthest forward seats than from seats closer to the center ... therefore only 4 pax from F, but maybe 6 to 8 if from rows in Y.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by AA2070
FAA Rule 8300.112 establishes these weights:
Adult passenger 205 lbs.
Carry-on item(s) 20 lbs.
Checked bag, ea. 30 lbs.
Total 255 lbs.

No need to weigh each passenger.
Thanks for the specifics. Very interesting to know.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billgrates3
It's all about leverage, i.e. as the center of gravity on MD80 is quite far to the rear, less pax have to be moved from the farthest forward seats than from farther back seats... therefore only 4 pax from F, but maybe 6 to 8 if from front rows of Y.
Exactly. That's what I was thinking. Better (IMO) to move 10 or even a dozen people from coach to the last couple rows than move four out of F.

Of course, there might not have been enough empty seats in the back to accomodate a dozen people; perhaps there were only four empty seats.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Please tell me there was some sort of compensation for this!
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
Yes, the aircraft was able to take off and everyone got to their destination safely.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
Yes, the plane could fly safely and displaced F pax got free Y sandwiches.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLAT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
Yes, the aircraft was able to take off and everyone got to their destination safely.
I'm assuming people are making remarks like this because they're assuming that the displaced passengers were upgraded to first, since they were downgraded based on status. If that's the case, I would think a refund of the 500 mile certificates, if any were pulled, should suffice. If it was paid first class, I would hope people would expect more in the way of compensation than getting to their destination, which is no compensation at all. You already paid for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.