Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016-2017 Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge & Dining Changes, Renovations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The current thread can be read here.

Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge, Flagship Dining Changes, Renovations & Additions
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; print wiki content with (lower right wiki corner)

On 17 February 2016 American Airlines announced a number of additions and implied possible access changes. Link.

Link to aa.com page listing lounge updates. (DEACTIVATED)

NOTES:: Day Pass sales have been suspended at airports with Admirals Clubs under renovation.

Thirty day memberships ceased to be available 25 Jul 2016.

Read the newest posts for updated information.

Admirals Club, Flagship, Arrivals Lounges and Flagship First Dining

CLT Concourse B Club to be closed “soon” (As of June 2018) for renovation.. Link.

DFW Terminal D Club CLOSED for refurbishment, Dining closed, interim Premium passenger lounge open ~7 Apr 2018. New Flagship Lounge, Flagship First Dining and Admirals Club to open (perhaps in 18-24 months?) See this thread.

DFW Terminal A Club OPEN again as of 7 April 2018.

DFW Terminal D Admirals Club, Flagship Dining CLOSED 7 Apr 2018.

DFW Terminal D interim Premium Lounge above D36 OPEN 7 Apr 2018. (NOTE: only open to eligible International Premium cabin passengers, not Admirals Club members.)

SEE DFW Admirals Club Terminal D 7 Apr 2018 Closure for Extensive Changes

Current Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining Lounges
: Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK) renewed.

London (LHR) and New York (JFK) Flagship Lounges recently renewed.

Flagship Lounge Additions, Club Renovations and Flagship Dining expansion and access changes:

During renovations and prior to new rules allowing longhaul international Business, EP, PPro and Plat passengers to access Flagship Lounges, some will temporarily be renamed "International First Class Lounge".
  • Chicago (ORD): H6-K6 Renovations (Flagship Lounge, Flagship First Dining, Admirals Club) over
  • Chicago (ORD): The new Admirals Club at Concourse L opened 27 Nov 2016.

• Dallas - FT. Worth (DFW): Terminal "D” Flagship Lounge / oneworld Airlines Premium Lounge, Flagship First Dining and Admirals Club to open ~2019 .

• Los Angeles (LAX): Renovation (Flagship Lounge, Flagship First Dining, Admirals Club) complete. T5 lounge open in old Delta Sky Club space.[/b]

• London (LHR): Arrivals Lounge recently renovated; reopened 3 Aug 2016 with enhanced breakfast, expanded hours and 29 shower suites.

• Miami (MIA): D30 Flagship Lounge renovation is finished (Club portionclosed?), D15 Renovation is finished, restrooms, children's room, business center all open; D30 new Flagship Lounge with 6 nice big showers, Arepa station, buffet and more is open ; Flagship Dining open.

• New York (JFK): B12 Club closed for renovation (temporary lounge open on mezzanine bridge or use C42 Club); Flagship First Dining opened 25 May 2017. First Class Lounge renovation completed 8 Dec 2016 and Flagship Lounge name restored.

• Philadelphia (PHL): New Flagship Lounge scheduled - A West Club Gates A15/A16.

• Rio de Janeiro (GIG) Renovation completed 4 Aug 2016.
Closures (2015): Clubs were closed at Buffalo (BUF) and San Juan (SJU) in 2015.

Access changes from AA
  • Flagship Lounge access AA: Starting in mid 2017, Flagship Lounge access is extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T three class transcon, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights, as well as EXP/EMD, PPRO & PLAT/SAP on qualifying flights in any class of service.

See and discuss in Expanded Access to Flagship Lounge Coming "in Spring 2017"

• Flagship First Dining access: First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to FlagshipSM Dining in 2017.

(This has put Flagship Dining into a category similar to the BA Concorde Room and a few other lounges - not oneworld lounges, restricted to long haul Flagship (three class) First passengers on AA marketed and operated flights only.)

• Admirals Club access: No announced or predicted access changes.
However, thirty day memberships are no longer available as of 25 Jul 2016, and One Day Pass cost has increased to $59. Annual Club memberships increased in price in 2016.

Link to View from the Wing article

[/color]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2016-2017 Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge & Dining Changes, Renovations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:23 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
AA's website says the qualifying (international) flight must be same day, or before 6 am the next day.

Hmmm, they don't define the time zone. I'm sure it's 6 am somewhere.
They have the same rules for the Admirals Club access but I have never been turned away in the past when flying on AA as long as it is a legitimate itinerary (i.e. Not some multi city itinerary with forced connections). Last year I had LAX-ORD-Intl trip on AA where LAX-ORD was a red-eye connecting to a mid day flight to Asia.

Had no problems accessing QF F lounge or any of the AA lounges in LAX since it was on the same itinerary.

This is why I was wondering if others had any experience - this 6AM rule definitely does eliminate eligibility for all international J/F customers flying domestic red-eye (save for those flying to JFK/MIA in J/F) which I am sure is not the intention of the rule so that is why I find this rule to be a bit ambiguous.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:36 pm

MIA Flagship lounge opening date update

Hi there, does anyone have updates on the opening?
I've arrived at MIA last night and for what I could see from the outside the lounge seems completed... I'm due to fly next Monday 20th November? Is there any hope it'd be open by then? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Giorgiok86
Hi there, does anyone have updates on the opening?
I've arrived at MIA last night and for what I could see from the outside the lounge seems completed... I'm due to fly next Monday 20th November? Is there any hope it'd be open by then? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Looked like a soft opening/media to me today but have seen photos and looks impressive including Flagship First dining. Similar to JFK with the same bar and dining room set up. Great food selection for those without a la carte dining. Nice views from dining over D30.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:13 pm

Flying MIA-BOS-JFK-HKG in First, JFK-HKG leg in CX First.

I know I have access to Flagship First dining at JFK. (Done it many times.) And I will have access to the FL in Miami (if open). My question is, assuming Miami Flagship Lounge & Dining are open in December... Will I have access to Flagship Dining in Miami before the MIA-BOS flight?

(Grabbing a real meal in FFD vs airplane is preferred.) It is really not a big deal to me, just curious about policy. (I can also grab food at the Corona Bar & Grill via PP.)

The only current comparison I could think of would be if someone did JFK-ORD-INTL First on AA/CX.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
LAX opening still Nov 17? Anyone knows yet if they are putting it back again ?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Global321
Flying MIA-BOS-JFK-HKG in First, JFK-HKG leg in CX First.

I know I have access to Flagship First dining at JFK. (Done it many times.) And I will have access to the FL in Miami (if open). My question is, assuming Miami Flagship Lounge & Dining are open in December... Will I have access to Flagship Dining in Miami before the MIA-BOS flight?

(Grabbing a real meal in FFD vs airplane is preferred.) It is really not a big deal to me, just curious about policy. (I can also grab food at the Corona Bar & Grill via PP.)

The only current comparison I could think of would be if someone did JFK-ORD-INTL First on AA/CX.

Thoughts?
Yes you have access when departing or arriving in international or transcon F. You can even bring a guest with international F but not with transcon.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Yes you have access when departing or arriving in international or transcon F. You can even bring a guest with international F but not with transcon.
OP definitely will have access to the FL at Miami, but I would actually double-check with AA with respect to Flagship First Dining at MIA.

CX is the only carrier other than AA that grants access to Flagship First Dining to its F passengers, by special arrangement with AA. I'm not sure if that special arrangement extends beyond JFK (it might, it might not), or if the agents at MIA would be aware of the arrangement, which of course they are at JFK.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by DMPHL
OP definitely will have access to the FL at Miami, but I would actually double-check with AA with respect to Flagship First Dining at MIA.

CX is the only carrier other than AA that grants access to Flagship First Dining to its F passengers, by special arrangement with AA. I'm not sure if that special arrangement extends beyond JFK (it might, it might not), or if the agents at MIA would be aware of the arrangement, which of course they are at JFK.
Yup. Exactly my question. Probably a situation that not too many people have experienced so far. As I mentioned earlier, the only replicable example right now would be JFK-ORD-HKG, with ORD-HKG on CX first.

100% no big deal. Guess I will find out in a few weeks.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:00 am

Yup. Exactly my question. Probably a situation that not too many people have experienced so far. As I mentioned earlier, the only replicable example right now would be JFK-ORD-HKG, with ORD-HKG on CX first.

I've submitted emails before on the AA Customer Service website, picking Admirals Clubs from the drop-down, to ask about access.

They might be helpful if you ask if the CX arrangement with AA allows for Dining access only at JFK or if it allows for it at Miami, as well. Or you could test the waters and let us know!

Good luck!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
TPG has photos of the new MIA FL.....looks huge and nice!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Love the new MIA FL. At almost 30,000 feet, that thing looks massive. Also, I like the design elements (much more art and color, and way less sterile looking), especially the variety of furniture colors.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Love the new MIA FL. At almost 30,000 feet, that thing looks massive. Also, I like the design elements (much more art and color, and way less sterile looking), especially the variety of furniture colors.
Jeez, you must have great eyesight! When I'm cruising at 30,000 feet, everything on the ground looks really small
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
TPG has photos of the new MIA FL.....looks huge and nice!
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Well MIA has lots and lots of flights to Latin America so the space is needed or it will turn into the same mess like JFK which suffers from overcrowding.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:09 am

As nice as the photos look, it would seem that starting on the 21st (based on TPG's comments), MIA will become rather challenging in terms of lounge space when passing through on domestic flights as it seems they'll be closing the regular club section across from D30 to begin renovating that area... leaving the small club by D15 as the one option (I don't personally consider the premium lounge over in E a viable option when doing a domestic flight out of D as it's just a hassle in terms of distance).
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:05 am

FWIW, I asked Admirals Club Member Services the following:

"I know that Cathay Pacific has a special arrangement with AA to allow its First Class passengers traveling either to Vancouver or Hong Kong access to Flagship First Dining at JFK.

My question is...when traveling MIA-JFK/ORD-HKG in First Class on Cathay Pacific, would I have access to Flagship First Dining in MIAMI when it opens? Or is the arrangement with Cathay Pacific limited specifically to access at the JFK facility?"

The response from them was:

"Thank you for contacting Admirals Club Member Services. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

You would have access to the Flagship lounge, but not the Flagship First Dining.

Best regards,

XXXX
Admirals Club Member Services"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.