Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Domestic SDFC / SDC /CFC Same Day Confirmed Flight Change

Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE AA SDFC CHANGED POLICY: As of 01/15/16 the SDFC option will be limited to alternate flights only if they follow the same origin, destination, and also SAME CONNECTION POINT. Other rules seem to be unchanged as far as available 24-hours before, no charge to EXP, no co-terminals allowed, and slight overlap to calendar date limitation for late night may be possible.
This is the archive of posts prior to 15 January 2016 changes. For the current thread, please see:

"Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Domestic SDFC / SDC /CFC Same Day Confirmed Flight Change

Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
(removed pending clarification)

Last edited by ThreeJulietTango; Dec 15, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:15 pm

So...had a frustrating experience trying to do a same day confirmed change in business this weekend. Originally booked in I class, one seat in I inventory available on my desired flight on aa.com. First agent I called confirmed one seat available for SDFC but as it wasn't quite 24 hrs prior to departure, asked me to call back 24 hrs before. I did so, next 3-4 agents denied that any seats were available for confirmed flight change despite that same I seat showing as available on aa.com. After calling yet again, the last agent didn't seem to know what I was talking about, put me on hold presumably to ask someone, then came back on the line and was able to make the change successfully.

My question is - I understand E inventory has to be available for economy flight changes - is there an equivalent inventory necessary for premium cabin confirmed flight changes? Or is it just the original booking class? If the latter, was I just unlucky that 3-4 consecutive agents didn't know how to do a SDFC in business class?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Finally gave up on a SDFC tomorrow on a F seat upgraded with mileage copay. Learned a lot after trying several different agents and LAX AAngels. That means SDFC requires A inventory in F. The only A inventory was on flights with different routing, not allowed without change fee. I could have had a seat on the one other flight with same routing, but would have been back to Y. The agent would refund the miles but not the copay. In the end, I stayed with my existing reservation.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by bostalk
My question is - I understand E inventory has to be available for economy flight changes - is there an equivalent inventory necessary for premium cabin confirmed flight changes? Or is it just the original booking class? If the latter, was I just unlucky that 3-4 consecutive agents didn't know how to do a SDFC in business class?
Premium cabin SDFC requires the original inventory. The guidance given to reservations agents doesn't seem to be very clear on this.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:38 am

same-day change to overnight flight

I have a reservation on an early-morning AA flight tomorrow, Dec. 24, at about 7:00 a.m. If I look at my same-day flight change options, the only one shown is an overnight flight departing after midnight, at about 1:00 a.m. The same-day flight change screen doesn't explicitly show the date of the flight anywhere.

I know that overnight flights were confusing with pre-merger US, though; their reservation system treated overnight flights, even those leaving after midnight, as the end of the day rather than the beginning.

So, does anyone know for sure whether the overnight flight being offered for SDC is earlier or later than my scheduled early-morning flight tomorrow?

(Advantage of the overnight flight if it's earlier - see family sooner, maybe be able to help cook for Christmas Eve. Disadvantage - no sleep. I'm not sure whether I'll take it, but I certainly wouldn't take it if it would get me there a day late!)
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:48 am

If your flight is Dec 24 at 7am, a flight for Dec 25th at 1am would not show up yet as it's not within the 24 hour mark for SDC. The flight you're seeing should be the 1am flight on Dec 24th. If you wait a few more hours you may be able to find more options depending on if you're on a nonstop, one connection, two connection, etc. Happy travels!
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:11 am
E55

I'm interested in some clarification, too, from anyone with experience.

I operate on the (maybe mistaken) presumption that the "day" starts at 4 am local time.

Is that the case?

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 19, 2016 at 6:33 am Reason: Removed manual signature
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by E55
I'm interested in some clarification, too, from anyone with experience.

I operate on the (maybe mistaken) presumption that the "day" starts at 4 am local time.

Is that the case?
AFAIK, the "day" starts at midnight local time. That's always been the case with AA in the past, and I haven't seen any evidence that this changed as part of the merger.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Yes, AA is very strict about same calendar day for SDFC. I recently was booked on a flight less than an hour after midnight and tried to switch to the flight an hour before midnight and the EXP desk couldn't do it. They suggested trying at the airport which I did and they wouldn't even do it at the airport. So the flight they are offering you is definitely before your scheduled flight.

Would love to hear reports of anyone who has gotten them to bend the rules on SDFC for red eyes on different calendar days.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
I just called - i am on a 12:55 am out of LAS 12/25 - i.e. I am am flying Xmas evening overnight. I just called to ask about standing by for 12/24 at 11 pm - overnight and 2 hours earlier - and was told no. I actually called twice as the first person didn't seem to understand my question. The second agent couldn't understand how I didn't see that if the ticket said 12/25 on it that it had nothing to do with 12/24. I guess there is just the literal interpretation of the ticket date now. However, the rules also state that same day standby can be later in the day. I will be interested to see how that rule is applied when I miss my flight and try to take one of the earlier morning 12/25 empty flights.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Darn, thought I had read about a policy change that allows redeyes leaving before midnight to be categorized as same day for the following day.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by steves
I just called - i am on a 12:55 am out of LAS 12/25 - i.e. I am am flying Xmas evening overnight. I just called to ask about standing by for 12/24 at 11 pm - overnight and 2 hours earlier - and was told no. I actually called twice as the first person didn't seem to understand my question. The second agent couldn't understand how I didn't see that if the ticket said 12/25 on it that it had nothing to do with 12/24. I guess there is just the literal interpretation of the ticket date now. However, the rules also state that same day standby can be later in the day. I will be interested to see how that rule is applied when I miss my flight and try to take one of the earlier morning 12/25 empty flights.
What does AA.com or the kiosk offer you?

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Darn, thought I had read about a policy change that allows redeyes leaving before midnight to be categorized as same day for the following day.
That's correct.

If the original flight leaves between 8 PM and midnight, you can SDFC to flights leaving from midnight to 2 AM on the following calendar day (but still the same night) and vice versa. This was revised around the same time that the routing/coterminal restrictions were added in July.

Keep in mind that reservations and airport agents may be looking at slightly different references.

If the original flight left at 7 AM and the desired flight is at 1 AM on the same calendar day, I would think that SDFC would be allowed.

Last edited by ThreeJulietTango; Dec 23, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Old Dec 24, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
My experience from last week is that the "same calendar day" is enforced. I had a flight that departed at 12:50am and I wanted to take a flight that departed a few hours earlier. I called several times and the answer was consistent that I could only do a "same day confirmed" change to other flights on the same calendar day. LUS had a process whereby the "calendar day" actually ran until 2am or 3am, but this appears to have been discarded.

The process of changing from 7am to 1am on the same day should be fine, given appropriate availability and the same number of connections.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 6:53 am
E55

Maybe I was thinking of an old US policy. It seems to make more sense operationally, but understandably could be more confusing if the "day" has two different dates.

Originally Posted by gary_nj
LUS had a process whereby the "calendar day" actually ran until 2am or 3am, but this appears to have been discarded.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 19, 2016 at 6:32 am Reason: Removed manual signature
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
That's correct.

If the original flight leaves between 8 PM and midnight, you can SDFC to flights leaving from midnight to 2 AM on the following calendar day (but still the same night) and vice versa. This was revised around the same time that the routing/coterminal restrictions were added in July.

Keep in mind that reservations and airport agents may be looking at slightly different references.
Wrong, it has to be same calendar day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.