Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Domestic SDFC / SDC /CFC Same Day Confirmed Flight Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE AA SDFC CHANGED POLICY: As of 01/15/16 the SDFC option will be limited to alternate flights only if they follow the same origin, destination, and also SAME CONNECTION POINT. Other rules seem to be unchanged as far as available 24-hours before, no charge to EXP, no co-terminals allowed, and slight overlap to calendar date limitation for late night may be possible.
This is the archive of posts prior to 15 January 2016 changes. For the current thread, please see:

"Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Domestic SDFC / SDC /CFC Same Day Confirmed Flight Change

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
I've had AA let me SDC to a different routing.
Via the Web site, calling, or at the airport? I'm looking for options prior to arrival to the airport. Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
A telephone CSR will be more experienced with future travel more than same-day travel. Remember the typical GA focus is flight specific, where is this plane going now. Getting them to open their eyes to see where you are trying to end up will be the trick. I imagine the effort to cancel and book a second leg will be slightly more effort on their part and they may be trying to avoid that. Moving from a connection to a direct flight may get some resistance with the cost difference thinking it should not be allowed more so than if it is allowed.

Traveling knowing the rules and finding a friendly, customer service oriented GA is today's challenge.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:06 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by FLYDCA
Perhaps routing is my issue on AA since I'm frequently booking flights involving connections. On UA I don't recall that they restricted my SDC to the exact same routing but just had to keep the same origin and end point.
That is my main issue given I am PIT based. On UA, there are no routing restrictions and if a given routing is legal under full Y fare (plus a few oddities) then you can switch to that routing if your original fare class is available.

IMO - AA should drop the routing restriction. If you are flying an itinerary where a given route in your trip has 1x flight that day then you are screwed. Many of the DFW-Latin America markets are a good example and you will not be allowed to connect via MIA instead where there may be 2-3x more flights to/from the same destination.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
How generous is the E bucket on the LAS-LAX route for Sundays? Looking at possibly 7/5, which I'm guessing would be one of the worst dates given the major holiday weekend.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
I'm flying AA much more lately over UA where I was very familiar with and often used confirmed same day changes as a 1K. On AA as Exec Plat I'm NEVER seeing any availability for a confirmed same day change. No inventory is ever offered to me either on the website or by calling in. I understand flights are very full these days but the fare class controls on this benefit at AA seem overly restrictive. I don't consider this option to be a real benefit on AA right now. Airport standby works well enough but I was to be able to confirm changes from time time on the same day. Is it just me?
I've had much the same experience. Just for fun, I routinely click on "Same-Day Flight Change" just to see if there are any alternatives available. The response for me is always the same: "For this offer, there are currently no eligible flights available."

That is until last Saturday. I was flying back from DTW to SFO (via DFW) and was presented with a whole page of alternate flight options, some with standby only, and some also with confirmed change. (All were via DFW, IIRC.) After switching over to AA about 4 years ago, it was the first time I can recall ever seeing availability for a same-day flight change for any of my itineraries.

At least I know that the mythical same-day flight change does exist, if only very rarely. I suspect it has do do with the fact that I was travelling on a Saturday, which I rarely do -- it's the least-busy travel day of the week.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The website doesn't seem to always display the same availability I find on expertflyer or find every possible combination of flights. For example, I may want to only change the first flight, to allow for a better upgrade chance and leave the second flight alone.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
The website doesn't seem to always display the same availability I find on expertflyer or find every possible combination of flights. For example, I may want to only change the first flight, to allow for a better upgrade chance and leave the second flight alone.
I am running into this for a flight tomorrow —.the website tells me no flights are available, but ExpertFlyer shows *lots* of flights tomorrow with E availability. (This is BOS-ORD nonstop, so there are no weird routing issues or anything.) If I call, would an agent be able to move me, or should I try at the airport?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Originally Posted by rafatmit
I am running into this for a flight tomorrow —.the website tells me no flights are available, but ExpertFlyer shows *lots* of flights tomorrow with E availability. (This is BOS-ORD nonstop, so there are no weird routing issues or anything.) If I call, would an agent be able to move me, or should I try at the airport?
Agent can move you if E is available (assuming the flight you're changing to is still a permitted routing under the rules of your ticket).

Just tell 'em the flight or flights on which EF shows E availability.

Last edited by rdrnnr; Jun 10, 2015 at 10:49 pm Reason: noticed you're not changing routing
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by golfingboy
IMO - AA should drop the routing restriction. If you are flying an itinerary where a given route in your trip has 1x flight that day then you are screwed. Many of the DFW-Latin America markets are a good example and you will not be allowed to connect via MIA instead where there may be 2-3x more flights to/from the same destination.
Why does everyone keep mentioning a routing restriction? SDFC allows a routing change, as long as the new route is allowed by the fare rules. You certainly can switch your connection DFW --> MIA as long as it's allowed by the fare routing rules.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never had an agent not allow a change when E was available. I think the website just isn't very good at knowing what I want to do.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:16 am
Suspended

just made an Avios res, orginally BA.com told me it was 35k(s/b 15k) turns out I had a mix US down and AA back, so under the new T&Cs thats 2 different OW carriers so its 35k.

Started over and made it US/US and indeed it was priced at 15k. Called up about being able to SBY at the airport and was told ONLY for another US metal flight, that since Im booked on US I cant SBY for an AA flight

As bad as CO/UA was at least they allowed me to SBY or SDC to a flight of either metal. The difference is having to wait an extra 2hrs for my US flight so its not terrible but its the pt that matters
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by craz
just made an Avios res, orginally BA.com told me it was 35k(s/b 15k) turns out I had a mix US down and AA back, so under the new T&Cs thats 2 different OW carriers so its 35k.

Started over and made it US/US and indeed it was priced at 15k. Called up about being able to SBY at the airport and was told ONLY for another US metal flight, that since Im booked on US I cant SBY for an AA flight

As bad as CO/UA was at least they allowed me to SBY or SDC to a flight of either metal. The difference is having to wait an extra 2hrs for my US flight so its not terrible but its the pt that matters
The good news is that you only have to deal with issues like this for another few months.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
(already answered)

Last edited by pfbloom; Jun 14, 2015 at 11:38 am
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:08 am

Hi All,

I asked this in the n00b thread as well, but this might be the better one.

I want to book a domestic award flight on AA using BA Avios. Currently there is only a 6AM award flight. Does anyone know if I can book the award flight using BA Avios and then on the day of my flight, call AA and pay the $75 same day flight change fee to get on a later flight?

I read one instance where an EXP was able to do standby on a later flight in this thread, but I have no status. I also want to do a confirmed same day flight change since I don't have status and don't think I'd clear standby.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:38 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by SamOF
Why does everyone keep mentioning a routing restriction? SDFC allows a routing change, as long as the new route is allowed by the fare rules. You certainly can switch your connection DFW --> MIA as long as it's allowed by the fare routing rules.
Hope this clarifies AA's policy for SDFC. Same rules apply for Standby.

Originally Posted by American Airlines
Customers using Same-Day Flight Change may only change to earlier or later flights that have the same routing, number of connections, and cannot change to a co-terminal in a multi city airport.
Link

Yes - if you have a double connection itinerary (SEA-ORD-MIA-MBJ) and want to change to a single connection or earlier flight (SEA-DFW-MBJ) you can't. The "exact routing" requirement kills a large part of this benefit.

Last edited by golfingboy; Jun 16, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.