Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Domestic SDFC / SDC /CFC Same Day Confirmed Flight Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE AA SDFC CHANGED POLICY: As of 01/15/16 the SDFC option will be limited to alternate flights only if they follow the same origin, destination, and also SAME CONNECTION POINT. Other rules seem to be unchanged as far as available 24-hours before, no charge to EXP, no co-terminals allowed, and slight overlap to calendar date limitation for late night may be possible.
This is the archive of posts prior to 15 January 2016 changes. For the current thread, please see:

"Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Domestic SDFC / SDC /CFC Same Day Confirmed Flight Change

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SamOF
When I tried recently, I was told that BA-issued tickets are not eligible for CFC.
Interesting -- I was just told by AA that business class award tickets are not eligible for CFC at all! Yikes. BUT, because I am OneWorld Saphire, she did say that I would be able to standby for a later flight.... but that's a bit risky given I had hoped to get CFC for the last flight of the day....
Old May 8, 2015, 11:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by arollins
This is when it gets tricky, as you will sit on the original class of service booked, upgrades will have to be requested once confirmed. There have been reports from other members, myself included, where they will book you immediately to bus/first, but that is not the norm. If none available, you will fly in coach. This is when you have to play around the odds.
While I know that they can no longer see 'X' inventory, can they determine if a requested upgrade would be able to clear? I'm looking at some flights for tomorrow that are F7 E7 and F5 E7, respectively. Seems a likely upgrade (current flights are F1 F1). The new flights get in about 90 minutes later, so less convenient, but would be worth it for the upgrade...if I could know.

Still about 2 hours before T-24 on the second leg, so I still have some time to wait

Cheers.
Old May 8, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
Interesting -- I was just told by AA that business class award tickets are not eligible for CFC at all! Yikes. BUT, because I am OneWorld Saphire, she did say that I would be able to standby for a later flight.... but that's a bit risky given I had hoped to get CFC for the last flight of the day....
I did it on May 2 from MIA to LAX on a Business Extra business class award that was the continuation of a trip from BCN. I had gotten sick on the first leg, so I AA switched me to a flight to LAX 2 days later. I wanted to leave on an earlier flight that night and got CFC showing as no charge.
Old May 9, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
I am flying business class on an avios redemption on AA. From my reading of the CFC policy, I should be eligible for a confirmed flight change at the 24 hour window at no charge (since I'm flying business class -- I happen to be OW Saphire too).

My question is this: if there are no business class seats available on other flights, will the online system allow me to CFC for an economy seat?
So, here's an update as to my experience, now that the <24h window is open. I tried to click on the 'same day change' icon after logging in to my AA itinerary. The next screen said there were no flight options available for this itinerary. So, I logged in to ExpertFlyer and found that, in fact, an E class seat was available (E=1) for the later flight that I wanted. From my research (and as noted on the FT wiki) this is the fare bucket from which CFC are taken.

I decided to call AA. The agent found the seat I was talking about on the later flight and said I could have it but that I would be forfeiting my business class seat. He would put me on the waiting list to be reupgraded but that there were no guarantees. Since my flight is only 1 hour, I was totally happy to just get the economy seat.

I didn't want to ask the agent making the change too many questions, but it seems to me (from my research) that CFC isn't necessarily an option for Avios/AA business class seats. The E class seat is only an economy option -- so, this may be why the online tool did not allow me to change the seat myself.

Also, I was not charged for the CFC to the later flight. Again, I don't think the no charge was related to my Business class award seat but rather the fact that I am OW Saphire.

Not sure if this experience can be repeated.... but tuck this one away just in case it becomes relevant for anyone else out there.....
Old May 10, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Flying MSY-ORD-STL in a few hours and would like to fly MSY-MIA-ORD-STL instead (want to be on the 763 MIA-ORD). E inventory is plentiful. Would this be a legal change?

I'm thinking so, but I don't want to keep playing the HUACA game with different AAgents if I'm requesting something unreasonable/illegal policy-wise.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Flying MSY-ORD-STL in a few hours and would like to fly MSY-MIA-ORD-STL instead (want to be on the 763 MIA-ORD). E inventory is plentiful. Would this be a legal change?

I'm thinking so, but I don't want to keep playing the HUACA game with different AAgents if I'm requesting something unreasonable/illegal policy-wise.
No, this would not be a valid change. Technically, any CFC must still be rebooked to a valid routing for the original ticket. AA has no routings between MSY-STL that allow connections in both MIA and ORD. The published routings allow a connection only in ORD, CLT, or DFW. That being said, you might find an agent who doesn't know or care enough about the CFC routing rules.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 12, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: EMT-P
SDFC / Same Day Flight Change questions

I'm flying PEK-ORD-DCA on 5/14 and there are two earlier flights from ORD-DCA that EF shows as having availability in F. If I ask for SDFC and those seats are still available, is there any reason why I wouldn't get one?

TIA
Old May 12, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond
Should work fine. I've done it after a confirmed miles/copay upgrade. The website will show you what's available.
Old May 12, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Normally you can do a SDFC online for a domestic trip when booked on a SWU or miles+copay (in A class). The flights offered will be those available in F. It actually won't show you flights available in Y.

In your case, however, you're starting in PEK. I'm not sure you can do anything until you land in ORD at which point an agent can easily rebook you if there is A availability on an earlier connection.
Old May 12, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
No, this would not be a valid change. Technically, any CFC must still be rebooked to a valid routing for the original ticket. AA has no routings between MSY-STL that allow connections in both MIA and ORD. The published routings allow a connection only in ORD, CLT, or DFW. That being said, you might find an agent who doesn't know or care enough about the CFC routing rules.

-FlyerBeek
Thank you for the information. I gave them a call and was politely declined the change and offered other options. I decided not to be persistent with it because it was a rather greedy change request. It's good to know that the original ticket's routing comes into play, I was not aware of that.

Thanks!
Old May 12, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm flying tomorrow on US metal on an AA ticket. I want to try SDC to change to an earlier flight that is on AA metal. Can I do that?
Old May 13, 2015, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
AA or US flight numbers? That's what is important ...

Being an AA Ticket does not matter - FWIW, AA's start with 001- , US's start with 037-
Old May 13, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Stripe
Normally you can do a SDFC online for a domestic trip when booked on a SWU or miles+copay (in A class). The flights offered will be those available in F. It actually won't show you flights available in Y.

In your case, however, you're starting in PEK. I'm not sure you can do anything until you land in ORD at which point an agent can easily rebook you if there is A availability on an earlier connection.
Shouldn't SDFC options show up 24 hours before his connection?
Old May 13, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm flying tomorrow on US metal on an AA ticket. I want to try SDC to change to an earlier flight that is on AA metal. Can I do that?
For all intents and purposes AA and US are still separate airlines only the AAdvantage program has merged so far. Full merge is expected later this year. Until then, standby is allowed when ticketed on the same metal. So if you are booked as a US flight number on US metal, then yes. If you are on a code-share flight number (AA flight number on US metal), then no. Now that's not to say if there is an issue with your flight and IRROPS is in play that they can't move you over.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: EMT-P
Couldn't change earlier because of the PEK-ORD leg but changed to an earlier flight right after landing.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.