Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Domestic SDFC / SDC /CFC Same Day Confirmed Flight Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE AA SDFC CHANGED POLICY: As of 01/15/16 the SDFC option will be limited to alternate flights only if they follow the same origin, destination, and also SAME CONNECTION POINT. Other rules seem to be unchanged as far as available 24-hours before, no charge to EXP, no co-terminals allowed, and slight overlap to calendar date limitation for late night may be possible.
This is the archive of posts prior to 15 January 2016 changes. For the current thread, please see:

"Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Domestic SDFC / SDC /CFC Same Day Confirmed Flight Change

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Had you received a complementary upgrade? I am never able to complete the process online if any segment has been upgraded - always need to call. Have checked on itineraries that I have changed over the phone and have not yet been reupgraded - always able to see options.
Ahhh, yep--I had already been upgraded on all of the trips I had compared. Thanks for the tip!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that you wouldn't keep the timestamp, and either way your upgrade request would only be processed after those of confirmed passengers.
I'm not trying to be rude, but you should just delete this post since you're just wrong on all counts.

Original sticker time-stamp remains in the PNR no matter the changes made, or even if you took yourself off the list and then put yourself back on it. Even if you made routing changes with new departure dates and alternate airports, the original time stamp remains.

Secondly, CFC confirms you on to the new flight. It is not stand-by. As such, you then get sorted according to your time-stamp and you fall on the list where you fall.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:39 am

The person you replied to answered a question in regards to SDS, not SDFC/CFC. There have been numerous instances I've read here (including many of mine especially while PLT) where one falls after the list of confirmed passengers - lower elite levels included. Maybe I've been really unlucky with a number of agents telling me the same thing, but have you really kept the original timestamp after an SDS?

Originally Posted by sukn
I'm not trying to be rude, but you should just delete this post since you're just wrong on all counts.

Original sticker time-stamp remains in the PNR no matter the changes made, or even if you took yourself off the list and then put yourself back on it. Even if you made routing changes with new departure dates and alternate airports, the original time stamp remains.

Secondly, CFC confirms you on to the new flight. It is not stand-by. As such, you then get sorted according to your time-stamp and you fall on the list where you fall.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
SDS - Same Day Standby and CFC - Confirmed Flight Change are easily confused and there are more acronyms for these functions. They both deal with flying something different than what you have originally booked. They both differ based upon your status. They appear to get intermixed by the GAs too, so it's not surprising pax mix them up too. Read the wiki to get the detailed rules. If you use the full names you might get further towards what you want.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Same Day Confirmed Change on AA (transcon) First Saver Award

I was under the impression that for any first class ticket, all that had to be open for a SDCC was the A bucket. I tried to change with an agent in the Admirals Club and they were able to do it for me by calling reservations and manually opening up Z space, but let me know that in general Z space has to be open to do a SDCC on First award tickets. I would've probably just cleared on standby anyway, so I feel a little bad for making them go through all of that, but oh well.

Anyway, this seems odd to me, because at that point, it isn't a same day confirmed change, its merely a change to the ticket (and there are no time restrictions). I am happy with them working with me, but just for the future, I was curious what the actual policy was if anyone knows. Is there something I can actually point to if there's an issue in the future?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
i have a question about same day flight & same day standby. i'm EXP had a ticket yesterday morning from TYS to ORD connecting via CLT and wanted to fly the earlier nonstop (which was only 1/2 full). i called the EXP desk and they said they could not give me same day flight change even tho my origin & destination were the same, as the flight i wanted was one segment & the flight i was booked on was 2. however she said that i would be able to do same day standby at the airport.
however when i got to the aa gate, the agent there told me that i was NOT eligible for same day standby as as the flight i wanted was one segment & the flight i was booked on was 2. she was ex usair. but insisted she was right. was she right or was the EXP desk? thanks a lot.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by sohony
i have a question about same day flight & same day standby. i'm EXP had a ticket yesterday morning from TYS to ORD connecting via CLT and wanted to fly the earlier nonstop (which was only 1/2 full). i called the EXP desk and they said they could not give me same day flight change even tho my origin & destination were the same, as the flight i wanted was one segment & the flight i was booked on was 2. however she said that i would be able to do same day standby at the airport.
however when i got to the aa gate, the agent there told me that i was NOT eligible for same day standby as as the flight i wanted was one segment & the flight i was booked on was 2. she was ex usair. but insisted she was right. was she right or was the EXP desk? thanks a lot.
You would need to look at the fare rules for your ticket, but if they are like the ones I've looked at lately, the EXP agent was likely correct. My latest ticket fare rules say: " 3.STANDBY IS PERMITTED FOR SAME DAY AA NONSTOP AND/OR CONNECTING FLIGHTS BETWEEN THE SAME ORIGIN AND DESTINATION AIRPORTS PROVIDED THE ROUTING IS APPLICABLE FOR THE FARE CHARGED". Note that the routing on your fare might not allow non-stop flights.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
when i called the exp desk they said they had to check the fare rules for my ticket, then came back and told me that i could fly standby on the nonstop.
but the agent at the gate said that not changing the number of flights was a requirement for ALL standby requests

Originally Posted by flymonthly
You would need to look at the fare rules for your ticket, but if they are like the ones I've looked at lately, the EXP agent was likely correct. My latest ticket fare rules say: " 3.STANDBY IS PERMITTED FOR SAME DAY AA NONSTOP AND/OR CONNECTING FLIGHTS BETWEEN THE SAME ORIGIN AND DESTINATION AIRPORTS PROVIDED THE ROUTING IS APPLICABLE FOR THE FARE CHARGED". Note that the routing on your fare might not allow non-stop flights.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, A3 Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, former UA Premier Executive
Read through the wiki and last few pages, I wasn't clear on this:

Can I build in a longer layover? As in: SAN-LAX-SFO already have an hour layover, at the 24 hour mark can I confirm the SAN-LAX leg to be earlier but keep the LAX-SFO leg the same, or change both but have a layover over six hours?

Brand new ExPlat. Is this something that I can call in and they'll do over the phone? If upgraded previously would I keep that if there's space on the new leg (although so short don't really care, just curious)?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS 75k
when i called the exp desk they said they had to check the fare rules for my ticket, then came back and told me that i could fly standby on the nonstop.
but the agent at the gate said that not changing the number of flights was a requirement for ALL standby requests
I dunno. There appears to be a conflict between the fare rules that I quoted and the AA Standby terms and conditions listed on aa.com. The T&Cs state that the # of segments can't change while the fare rules allow it as long as the routing is allowed for the fare charged.

This is in contrast to the Same-Day Flight Change T&Cs on aa.com and the fare rules where both say the # of segments have to be the same.

Perhaps you should ask for a clarification from AA.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by noreservations

Can I build in a longer layover? As in: SAN-LAX-SFO already have an hour layover, at the 24 hour mark can I confirm the SAN-LAX leg to be earlier but keep the LAX-SFO leg the same, or change both but have a layover over six hours?

Brand new ExPlat. Is this something that I can call in and they'll do over the phone? If upgraded previously would I keep that if there's space on the new leg (although so short don't really care, just curious)?
I've had no problems making single-segment changes on multi-segment itineraries in the past, and I wouldn't anticipate any issues in this case, assuming 'E' inventory is available on your desired flight.

However, SDFC policies were tightened this year, and more and more phone agents seem to be sticking rigidly to those rules. I would HUACA if an agent doesn't allow it, though, because AFAIK, it should still be possible.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I'm based in SAN, fly weekly, have a ~monthly need for a same day flight change

Am never able to change to a SAN-LAX leg, it's against rules, as far as I can tell, it's because it's a change from Standard American Air tickets, to a ticket for American Eagle

e.g. a few weeks ago - I was had this flight booked - SAN-PHX-LAS, but I found out I needed to be in LAS several hours earlier ... the most logical flight was SAN-LAX-LAS - there were several to select from , plenty of open seats

The only valid route they could change me to, and still meet my arrival time need, was SAN-DFW-LAS ...

So, I did that, made it to my event in time, sat on flights a lot longer than expected ... had originally paid $82 for the flight - so, I got a lot of miles out of it, and upgraded to 1st on each leg
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 4aks
Am never able to change to a SAN-LAX leg, it's against rules, as far as I can tell, it's because it's a change from Standard American Air tickets, to a ticket for American Eagle
Not sure why you couldn't have changed to SAN-LAX-LAS unless one of those two segments (SAN-LAX or LAX-LAS) didn't have 'E' inventory available. I've changed to SAN-LAX (and reverse) with SDFC before, and I don't believe the agent bent any rules to make it happen.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by sukn
As mentioned earlier, my reply was in response to a question about standby.

Upgrade requests for standby passengers appear on the priority list after the upgrade requests of confirmed passengers.

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
I was under the impression that for any first class ticket, all that had to be open for a SDCC was the A bucket. I tried to change with an agent in the Admirals Club and they were able to do it for me by calling reservations and manually opening up Z space, but let me know that in general Z space has to be open to do a SDCC on First award tickets. I would've probably just cleared on standby anyway, so I feel a little bad for making them go through all of that, but oh well.

Anyway, this seems odd to me, because at that point, it isn't a same day confirmed change, its merely a change to the ticket (and there are no time restrictions). I am happy with them working with me, but just for the future, I was curious what the actual policy was if anyone knows. Is there something I can actually point to if there's an issue in the future?
For premium cabin SDFC, the original inventory must be available, so for a first class saver award you did indeed need Z.

The routing cannot be changed if using the $75 Same-Day Standby product sold to non-elites, but elites are allowed routing changes if the new routing is permitted by the fare rules.

Originally Posted by noreservations

A layover of more than 4 hours is not permitted for the paid standby product, but I'm not sure about the elite version. I've done it in the past without issue.

You can only standby at the airport, though. Try the kiosk first and see what options it gives you.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
The routing cannot be changed if using the $75 Same-Day Standby product sold to non-elites, but elites are allowed routing changes if the new routing is permitted by the fare rules.
Thanks for this detailed clarification on routing for elites vs regular purchasers. You have a wealth of knowledge.

Do you have any idea how easy it is for EXP on premium cabin product to CFC to a valid routing that also includes more segments (e.g. adding an extra connecting point that has same fare availability and is valid routing for fare)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.