Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Domestic SDFC / SDC /CFC Same Day Confirmed Flight Change

ARCHIVE: Domestic SDFC / SDC /CFC Same Day Confirmed Flight Change

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 16, 16, 2:40 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
NOTE AA SDFC CHANGED POLICY: As of 01/15/16 the SDFC option will be limited to alternate flights only if they follow the same origin, destination, and also SAME CONNECTION POINT. Other rules seem to be unchanged as far as available 24-hours before, no charge to EXP, no co-terminals allowed, and slight overlap to calendar date limitation for late night may be possible.
This is the archive of posts prior to 15 January 2016 changes. For the current thread, please see:

"Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 7, 15, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
AA does have Confirmed Flight Change. It has a normal fee of $75. But as of January 1st, it is now free for Exec Plat. It does not require the same inventory when in Y but does require that E inventory be available. Can be checked with Expertflyer.

There is also free standby for Exec Plat, Plats and Gold (not sure about the latter)
thx! glad it's free as of jan 1

also, if i've been upgraded, will they keep the upgrade or will i nkow before we pull the trigger if there's space to keep the upgrade?
Old Jan 7, 15, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa View Post
thx! glad it's free as of jan 1

also, if i've been upgraded, will they keep the upgrade or will i nkow before we pull the trigger if there's space to keep the upgrade?
This is when it gets tricky, as you will sit on the original class of service booked, upgrades will have to be requested once confirmed. There have been reports from other members, myself included, where they will book you immediately to bus/first, but that is not the norm. If none available, you will fly in coach. This is when you have to play around the odds. However, if you booked bus/first ticket, you can automatically stand by for that service, provided there is space.
Old Jan 7, 15, 9:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing thread on Same Day Confirmed flight change.

If anybody who is familiar with the program changes would llike to stab at updating the thread Wiki, feel free.

/Moderator
Old Jan 8, 15, 6:06 am
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've been monitoring AA 1177 (las-lax) for 1/10/15 for SDC. EF is now showing F7 and Y4; based on Y, it doesn't look like any E will be available--does F play any role in releasing E?
(All of this could change closer to 1/10...)
Old Jan 8, 15, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Is this even that helpful if E inventory must be available? If E must be available the plane is going to be generally wide open in the first place which means EXP would clear from standby list anyway (and could still be requesting an UPG by asking the AC to add RQST UPG in the comments field).
Example from today where it was helpful. I was on a 3 pm flight - and changed to a 5pm flight using this feature as an EXP. I was able to get confirmed on the later flight in coach by calling in - and then 4 hours prior to the flight the upgrade came through.

If i would have gone to the airport - i would have been rushed (can spend extra time at work - and show up just prior to the flight) - and would have had to wait out Standby at the gate. In addition - i would now be behind all 19 people on the upgrade list (per the app).

Worked pretty well for me ^
Old Jan 8, 15, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Platinum
Can confirm today that the website is still trying to charge EXP's 75 dollars - so you have to call in. Hopefully they will get this resolved soon.

In addition - i also hope that they fix the issue that presents itself after being upgraded. Even if there is E inventory on other flights - it never shows any available flights if you have been upgraded. I would assume that it is getting confused as you are in X - so hopefully they fix that to point towards E and then throw you in coach and put you on the upgrade list for the new flight. I always have to call in when i use this feature (with the 75 dollar prior to the change) and have an agent move me to another flight when i have been upgraded (in coach).
Old Jan 8, 15, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
AA does have Confirmed Flight Change. It has a normal fee of $75. But as of January 1st, it is now free for Exec Plat. It does not require the same inventory when in Y but does require that E inventory be available. Can be checked with Expertflyer.

There is also free standby for Exec Plat, Plats and Gold (not sure about the latter)
Can someone let me know if purchased F just needs F1 not same fare class? This is great news that SDC is now included with EXP
Old Jan 9, 15, 12:04 pm

I made a standby for an earlier flight when checking in online for tomorrow's flight. What if my standby is cleared but I don't show up in the earlier flight, will my ticket be cancelled then? Will I still be able to take the original flight?

First time doing a standby, thanks in advance for any help!
Old Jan 9, 15, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by jiangning View Post
I made a standby for an earlier flight when checking in online for tomorrow's flight. What if my standby is cleared but I don't show up in the earlier flight, will my ticket be cancelled then? Will I still be able to take the original flight?

First time doing a standby, thanks in advance for any help!
By very careful here--what you probably did was a CONFIRMED flight change. I don't think you can get on the standby list when checking in online--this is usually only done at the airport.

With a CONFIRMED flight change, you are now on the earlier flight. If you don't show up, your ticket would be cancelled, although if you give them advanced warning you can either do another CONFIRMED flight change back to the later flight (if it has E inventory available), or just a standby (assuming you qualify as an elite, or some other criteria I can't remember). If you just don't show up without saying anything it becomes much more complicated.

If you are in fact just on the standby list and NOT confirmed on the earlier flight, then they won't move you if you aren't there. But, again, this isn't something you'd be able to do online unless they changed it... so be careful!
Old Jan 9, 15, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by djibouti View Post
By very careful here--what you probably did was a CONFIRMED flight change. I don't think you can get on the standby list when checking in online--this is usually only done at the airport.

With a CONFIRMED flight change, you are now on the earlier flight. If you don't show up, your ticket would be cancelled, although if you give them advanced warning you can either do another CONFIRMED flight change back to the later flight (if it has E inventory available), or just a standby (assuming you qualify as an elite, or some other criteria I can't remember). If you just don't show up without saying anything it becomes much more complicated.

If you are in fact just on the standby list and NOT confirmed on the earlier flight, then they won't move you if you aren't there. But, again, this isn't something you'd be able to do online unless they changed it... so be careful!
I am pretty sure I'm doing a standby because I'm a gold and it lets me either do a confirm change for 75 dollars or free standby. I choose the latter. And I see myself on the standby list for that flight.
Just wanna make sure: if the gate agent calls me to clear the standby but I'm not there, the spot will pass down to the next person on the list. I am still confirmed on the original flight. Is this correct?

Thanks!!
Old Jan 9, 15, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by jiangning View Post
I am pretty sure I'm doing a standby because I'm a gold and it lets me either do a confirm change for 75 dollars or free standby. I choose the latter. And I see myself on the standby list for that flight.
Just wanna make sure: if the gate agent calls me to clear the standby but I'm not there, the spot will pass down to the next person on the list. I am still confirmed on the original flight. Is this correct?

Thanks!!
Perhaps you are right then! I've never seen that on the website.

In that case, yes, you will not be pulled off of your original flight if you aren't at the gate, but I have never tried this, so someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jan 10, 15, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Does the fee waiver for SDFC affect all passengers on a reservation with an EXP/CP, or just the EXP/CP themself?
Old Jan 10, 15, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by ihdihd View Post
My assistant was unaware of the change, and ended up reticketing my itinerary through our corporate travel agency instead of calling the airline and getting the free change. +800 instead of Free/$75.
Sounds like your assistant should be disciplined or terminated.
Old Jan 10, 15, 11:00 pm

24 hours prior to what?

If looking to do SDC to an earlier flight, can the change be initiated at 24 hours prior to the original flight, or 24 hours prior to the desired flight?

Additionally, is changing connecting points an option?

Neither question seems to have been definitely answered in the past year or so, based on my searching.
Old Jan 10, 15, 11:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs View Post
If looking to do SDC to an earlier flight, can the change be initiated at 24 hours prior to the original flight, or 24 hours prior to the desired flight?

Additionally, is changing connecting points an option?

Neither question seems to have been definitely answered in the past year or so, based on my searching.
The rule is 24-hours before the flight you want to take, since that is when E inventory would become available.

You can certainly change connecting points.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: