Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Domestic SDFC / SDC /CFC Same Day Confirmed Flight Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE AA SDFC CHANGED POLICY: As of 01/15/16 the SDFC option will be limited to alternate flights only if they follow the same origin, destination, and also SAME CONNECTION POINT. Other rules seem to be unchanged as far as available 24-hours before, no charge to EXP, no co-terminals allowed, and slight overlap to calendar date limitation for late night may be possible.
This is the archive of posts prior to 15 January 2016 changes. For the current thread, please see:

"Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Domestic SDFC / SDC /CFC Same Day Confirmed Flight Change

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by beerup
Why would that be preferable to a same-day confirmed flight change?
Does SDFC not still cost $75?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
Does SDFC not still cost $75?
Not for EXP.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Not for EXP.
Interesting. If I knew about that change I'd forgotten it.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:47 am

Since you're an EXP, why not just to to ORD Wednesday morning and try to standby instead.
I'd rather not spend the day at O'Hare. :P Thanks for the responses guy, I'll give them a call next Tuesday sometime.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:26 pm

Any experience with SFC fee waiver for EXP companion on same PNR? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Interesting. If I knew about that change I'd forgotten it.
Maybe you have a short memory. It's only been free for EXP for a few months
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by zozeppelin
Any experience with SFC fee waiver for EXP companion on same PNR? Thanks in advance.
I was just about to ask the same questions!
Old May 4, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by thenecropolist
I was just about to ask the same questions!
Ditto. If you don't get an answer by Wednesday I'll let you know. I'm flying with a Gold Wednesday and we are on same PNR. Trying for an earlier flight.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Are we allowed to request upgrades after we SDC to a new flight? I successfully did an SDC online to get onto an earlier flight, but when I checked in to the new flight it shows the upgrade status as "Not Available" during the check-in process and I sure enough do not show up on the Upgrade list for the flight.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Does anyone understand what type of inventory needs to be available to SDC a business fare? For example, if I am booked in I, does I need to be available, or is J (or something else) sufficient?
I would also like to know if SDC is available for Business or First class seats. I know United offers it and have used it several times, but I don't think AA offers it at this time.

Last edited by Time traveller; May 7, 2015 at 10:54 am
Old May 7, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Question Same Day Confirmed Flight Change Policy

So I have had a confusing issue with AA that I cannot seem to find an official answer on.

In short, let's say I am flying domestically from point A to point B, with a connection in point X, with only one of the two flights being on American Airlines Metal. So AAA-XXX-BBB, where only AAA-XXX is on AA metal, and say XXX-BBB on Alaska Metal/Flight Numbers.

In the past (2014) I have been able to do a SDC to go direct from AAA-BBB on AA Metal, and have done so multiple times. The EXP Agent I spoke with is telling me that this is against policy and that I never should have been allowed to do something like this. For example, last year I had a DFW-CLT-SEA award flight (DFW-CLT on AA, CLT-SEA on AS) I was able to change direct to DFW-SEA for the $75 fee (now waived for EXPs ).

Does anyone know what the official policy is on this, or better yet, does anyone have a link?

Side note, while we are discussing SDCs, say I am booked DFW-SEA and want to make a mini-mileage run out of it, would I be allowed to change it via SDC to something like DFW-ORD-SEA (assuming availability of course)?

Edit: Per AA.com here says thay "you can confirm a seat or standby on a different flight as long as the alternate flight: 1)Has the same origin and destination; 2) Is for the same calendar day of departure; 3) Has eligible seats available" and does not mention any other restrictions like that the all the old flights have to be operated by AA Metal (obviously the new one would).

Last edited by Phasers; May 7, 2015 at 11:46 am Reason: Added Link
Old May 7, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Update to my questions: I called AA and another agent claimed that as long as the first flight was an AA flight, I could standby/do a SDFC, but if the first flight was on another carrier I can't. Another agent said I cannot even if the first flight is on American. So still no definitive answer there. All I know is I have done it before multiple times. But apparently I was not supposed to be allowed?

To the second question: Agent said I could add connections if I want to turn my trip into a mini mileage run.
Old May 7, 2015, 5:42 pm

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
US Standby priority

Despite Googling and reading 10 pages, I couldn't find the answer - apologies if it's embedded somewhere deep in this thread.

I'm an AA EXP traveling on a BA-issued (Avios but with my AA# linked) US DCA-BOS shuttle tomorrow night. EF shows nearly sold-out flights all afternoon though I know seats are pretty volatile on these flights, particularly Friday afternoons. I want to fly earlier and I'm assuming Move Up is going to be off the table so here's my question -- how do the US standby lists prioritize? Will it account for my AA status and rank at the top? Or is there some other methodology? I'm far more familiar with AA's ranking protocol.

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
I am flying business class on an avios redemption on AA. From my reading of the CFC policy, I should be eligible for a confirmed flight change at the 24 hour window at no charge (since I'm flying business class -- I happen to be OW Saphire too).

My question is this: if there are no business class seats available on other flights, will the online system allow me to CFC for an economy seat?
Old May 8, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
I am flying business class on an avios redemption on AA. From my reading of the CFC policy, I should be eligible for a confirmed flight change at the 24 hour window at no charge (since I'm flying business class -- I happen to be OW Saphire too).

My question is this: if there are no business class seats available on other flights, will the online system allow me to CFC for an economy seat?
When I tried recently, I was told that BA-issued tickets are not eligible for CFC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.