Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage credit for BA / British part pay with Avios (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage credit for BA / British part pay with Avios (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by _fly_
Hmmm I did not use miles to upgrade, I originally bought the business class ticket. And as mentioned, my tickets clearly state fare classes C and I.
Same here. And on avios upgraded ba flights credited to AA I have also not had any issues...
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by JDiver
@:-) Could the problem lie with the fare class these book into?

We have previously had members experience problems getting miles allocated when, for example and iirc, buying an AA miles earning Cathay Pacific Business fare, using CX Asia Miles to upgrade, then finding the fare class used for upgrades is a multiple use fare code that is also the one used for booking award seats in F. Some have eventually been granted those miles, but it has required persistence.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...de-issues.html
It shouldn't be a problem - when Avios are used as part payment, there is still an underlying commercial fare booked into a published commercial fare class, which is what I'd expect AAdvantage to track. In contrast, if the tickets were booked as Avios & Money, then it's a cut and dry case - those flights are redemptions and will not earn on any FFP.

This is a odd case. It really is. Hopefully, _fly_ will get an official response back much sooner than the 60 days he/she was told.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:45 am
Original Poster

I understand that, but what fare class did your pay with cash and Avios upgrade book into when it was reticketed? That was my concern, regardless of originally booked fare class.

You might be able to advocate to AA at some point that, in accordance with AA upgrade policies, you should be able to get miles credit per the originally paid booking class.
Maybe I'm being slow, but sorry I really don't understand your point. I did not upgrade my ticket at any point. I bought a business class ticket that I partly paid with Avios, and did not upgrade it to anything.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Maybe I'm being slow, but sorry I really don't understand your point. I did not upgrade my ticket at any point. I bought a business class ticket that I partly paid with Avios, and did not upgrade it to anything.
Yes, I got that and modified your post as you were posting. Please reread..
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:51 am

I just checked my old flights. On the 3 separate occasions that I used Cash+Avios (all Y in this case, but that shouldn't matter), I was credited miles as I normally would be. This was in June.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the data points and thoughts on the issue. Will be really interesting to see when the reply comes from BA and what it says.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the data points and thoughts on the issue. Will be really interesting to see when the reply comes from BA and what it says.
Good luck!

Please do let us know how this resolves; I'm sure other members have a stake in this issue as well.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Does anyone know where I can find my fare code for one of these BA bookings? I can't seem to find any email receipt that shows anything more than just BUSINESS CLASS. I seem to remember my trip booking into "I", but don't have anything in writing. Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by chicago747
Does anyone know where I can find my fare code for one of these BA bookings? I can't seem to find any email receipt that shows anything more than just BUSINESS CLASS. I seem to remember my trip booking into "I", but don't have anything in writing. Thanks
Go to MMB on BA.com, click on the individual flight you want to check, then click "More flight information." It'll show you your booking class.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Please do let us know how this resolves;
Will do.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Update on this. The missing miles posted this morning. No other communications from AA nor BA. It took almost three months but happy that they posted!
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Update on this. The missing miles posted this morning. No other communications from AA nor BA. It took almost three months but happy that they posted!
That's great to hear. In your original post you mentioned that you sent them some "flight documents". What specifically were they? I'd like to make sure I've got all my ducks in a row so that I get all the miles I'm supposed to receive.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtkeller
That's great to hear. In your original post you mentioned that you sent them some "flight documents". What specifically were they? I'd like to make sure I've got all my ducks in a row so that I get all the miles I'm supposed to receive.
What AA requested is the following: "copies of your ticket receipt(s) and boarding pass for each missing flight". I sent in email receipt and for half of the flights I had only screenshots of mobile boarding passes. Then I had taken some screenshots from the AA mobile app that showed that my AA number had been attached to the reservation. Keep in mind you have to take these shots while you still have the flights in the app!
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
In January I flew an I inventory fare LAX-LHR-LAX that I paid partly using Avios and it credited normally without any intervention.

Some time ago, I booked a paid business class ticket (I don't recall what inventory) and upgraded it to F using Avios. When you upgrade to F on BA, it books into Z. In that case the miles did not post, but after waiting the requisite period I applied for credit online, in the notes pointed out that it was a paid J fare, and got the miles posted without any further issues.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Thanks for the additional information, _fly_ and Blumie. I've made PDFs of the email receipt from BA, the itinerary from Amadeus (because it shows the fare basis but BA's receipt does not) and will get paper boarding passes in addition to using mobile along the way. Belt and braces, as the Brits would say!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.