Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2015)

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2015)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 12, 16, 8:39 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
This thread is archived.
Please see the 2016 thread here
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 5, 15, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Arrow ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2015)

Quick question - if one is flying in Y BWI-LHR on the daily BA flight as an AA PLT (OW Sapphire), does that grant you access to the Chesapeake Club Lounge in BWI Concourse E?

This is the lounge BA contracts to for their BWI flight, and it comes up on the OW Lounge Finder. It's 3rd party, but it doesn't say anywhere that OW Sapphires can't access it.
Old Jan 5, 15, 1:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to the Lounge Access Help Desk.

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club Annual or Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard membership, One Day Pass or Thirty Day Membership, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with PLT (oneworld Sapphire) or EXP (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on AA.com.

For AA status-based access (PLT or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in Mexico, USA, Canada), and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. oneworld / AA Platinum PLT members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, including Admirals Clubs; oneworld Emerald / AA Executive Platinum/ EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges. Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room) may be excluded, and may refuse admittance; oneworld rules include a capacity clause that allows lounges to deny access when agents feel the lounge may be overcrowded.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

All visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs, some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages, snacks; free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

[B]American Express Platinum access to Admirals Clubs and US Airways Clubs ENDED 21 Mar 2014. )

See the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dashboard.html for links to threads covering membership and access schemes, meet ups, "treasure" (left drinks chits), a full lounge directory with links to specific lounges, etc.

Please see the following resources for more details on Lounge Access Rules:

NOTE: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups or offering to guest others should use this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...up-thread.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the above resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.

Sincerely,
The AA Moderator Team

Last edited by JDiver; May 29, 15 at 8:18 am Reason: Restore post and update
Old Jan 5, 15, 1:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I don't have personal experience, but according to the verbiage on the website, I think you're fine. The oneworld lounge site mentions:

Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.
And when one types in BWI, the Chesapeake Club Lounge, along with the BA logo, does pop up. Since you are indeed flying BA, I would think that you'd be directed to that lounge as your oneworld Sapphire perq.

Perhaps others who have flown BA out of BWI can chime in...
Old Jan 5, 15, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This thread in the BA forum states "Standard Lounge Access Rules" but it might be a good place to ask your question about BWI:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...h-america.html
Old Jan 6, 15, 9:43 am

Programs: DL, UA
Admirals club access- MEX

Hi all,

Flying out of MEX tomorrow on United (only nonstop). I was wondering if I will have access to the admirals club at mex with my aa credit card despite flying another airline and alliance.

Thanks
Old Jan 6, 15, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX PLAT, Priority Pass, Admirals Club, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
It depends which AA credit card you have.
Old Jan 6, 15, 11:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you're a Club member (e.g. have the Citi AA Executive card (which conveys full Club membership), or an annual, lifetime or thirty day membership) and you're airside in the proper terminal, you'll have access. I've done that plenty of times over the years, since much domestic flying in Mexico requires connections at MEX.

Probably even a one day pass.

We'll soon merge this into the lounge access and rules Help Desk thread. /Moderator
Old Jan 11, 15, 2:03 pm
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Yesterday, I was flying lax-jfk (waitlisted for y to bc upgrade). I showed the AC agent my bp and said I was planning on buying a day pass [I get reimbursed from Amex Skyguide program--once per month], but if my upg cleared I wouldn't have to purchase a dp; she didn't see that I was even on the upg list (I knew I was!)...since I was EXP, she let me in free and sent me upstairs to see one of the agents.
[The agent had to "refresh" my itn, to get me back on upg list--I was #1; I cleared at the gate.^]
A "side" note: if you buy a dp and later get the upg.--you will not get refunded...sort of a "catch 22" situation.
Old Jan 11, 15, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
I visited the AC in CDG, HNL and Terminal D in DFW in the past three weeks, and for the first time I got asked for my boarding pass in each lounge....are the rules changing for the Citi Executive Card? CDG I was not flying AA but just lied, then the lady approached me saying I wasn't on the flight haha. I thought I missed some change but that does not seem to be the case from what I have read thus far on this thread.
Old Jan 11, 15, 5:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Originally Posted by AJCU View Post
I visited the AC in CDG, HNL and Terminal D in DFW in the past three weeks, and for the first time I got asked for my boarding pass in each lounge....are the rules changing for the Citi Executive Card? CDG I was not flying AA but just lied, then the lady approached me saying I wasn't on the flight haha. I thought I missed some change but that does not seem to be the case from what I have read thus far on this thread.
The pass is to identify your AAdvantage number. Your card is a full membership, so there's no need to lie.

Since they have my photo on record, so all they need is my FFN.
Old Jan 11, 15, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by nrr View Post
Yesterday, I was flying lax-jfk (waitlisted for y to bc upgrade). I showed the AC agent my bp and said I was planning on buying a day pass [I get reimbursed from Amex Skyguide program--once per month], but if my upg cleared I wouldn't have to purchase a dp; she didn't see that I was even on the upg list (I knew I was!)...since I was EXP, she let me in free and sent me upstairs to see one of the agents.
[The agent had to "refresh" my itn, to get me back on upg list--I was #1; I cleared at the gate.^]

A "side" note: if you buy a dp and later get the upg.--you will not get refunded...sort of a "catch 22" situation.
Technically, the Club granted you a favor. They're no more obligated to let you in on a pending upgrade than the TA is obligated to grant you baggage allowance based on tbe waitlisted upgrade.
Old Jan 15, 15, 7:36 am

Lounge Access In ZRH

I will be traveling from JFK - ZRH - TXL in April. The JFK - ZRH is on AA and the ZRH - TXL is on airberlin. I have an Admiral Club membership through my AAdvantage Citi Executive card. My question is, will I have access to the OneWorld lounge in ZRH during my layover?
Old Jan 15, 15, 8:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ND_Fan_470 View Post
I will be traveling from JFK - ZRH - TXL in April. The JFK - ZRH is on AA and the ZRH - TXL is on airberlin. I have an Admiral Club membership through my AAdvantage Citi Executive card. My question is, will I have access to the OneWorld lounge in ZRH during my layover?
In this case the AA website is your friend; if you go to aa.com/admiralsclub, you can view the locations list. Scroll down to Zurich and you'll find that lounge access there is restricted to premium-cabin flyers and some oneworld elites–no provision for AC members.

As an side, I don't even think that lounge is accessible when you're on a Schengen flight but I've not actually flown to Zurich before so can't speak to that bit... Though it unfortunately doesn't change the answer which is that the lounge is not accessible to people seeking access based on an AC membership alone.
Old Jan 15, 15, 11:57 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ND_Fan_470 View Post
Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
In this case the AA website is your friend; if you go to aa.com/admiralsclub, you can view the locations list. Scroll down to Zurich and you'll find that lounge access there is restricted to premium-cabin flyers and some oneworld elites–no provision for AC members.
There actually is a provision for Admiral's Club members, but they must be departing on an AA or US flight...

Originally Posted by aa.com
oneworld Lounge

Must present a boarding pass for same day departing travel on an AA or US marketed and operated flight* and one of the following:
• First Class or Business Class ticket (on same flight)
• oneworld Emerald or oneworld Sapphire card
Admirals Club or US Airways Club membership
(emphasis added)
Old Jan 15, 15, 3:30 pm

Lounge in HKG

If I'm flying AA J out of HKG, is the contracted Plaza Premium lounge my only option?

No status with OW

Search this Thread
Search Engine: