Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can someone get EXP through the ticket buyer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond

I have a coworker (EXP) who claims that when she flies, her son's ticket (he's 32), has Pre-check on it and he is labeled as EXP. His info is not loaded into her profile, so she has to enter it each time she buys a ticket. I keep telling her she is incorrect and she must be seeing things.

I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by kwguy77
I have a coworker (EXP) who claims that when she flies, her son's ticket (he's 32), has Pre-check on it and he is labeled as EXP. His info is not loaded into her profile, so she has to enter it each time she buys a ticket. I keep telling her she is incorrect and she must be seeing things.

This is purely error on her part, unless I'm not understanding properly. Her son, if not EP, will certainly not reflect her EP status nor show EP on his boarding pass or e-ticket. If he has no status, his ticket d BP will reflect that. If she requests an upgrade for him, he can "borrow" her status for that purpose alone.

If I'm wrong, all she has to do is present one of his tickets or boarding passes to you as proof, of course - I'll be very surprised. But if I buy tickets for Lady JDiver, who is AA Platinum, that's what shows on her ticket and boarding pass, not my EP.

If he has PreCheck on his BP, it is because he has PreCheck, or his KTN in his record, or he could be randomly selected or somehow gets associated "credit" for being her traveling companion (but I'm not familiar with how this latter issue might work). Her KTN can not be "lent" to anyone.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 9, 2016 at 6:27 pm
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by kwguy77

Is she putting her frequent flyer number in for him? If so, maybe there's some sort of system glitch that doesn't reject the frequent flyer number and shows her status on the boarding pass. (Do they have very similar names?) She isn't/doesn't think that she's getting frequent flyer credit for his flights, does she?

Now, my partner has gotten pre-check every single time we travel on the same PNR for the last year or so on AA, US, AS (whether I fly with my AA/Platinum or AS/no status frequent flyer number in the record), and DL. I have Global Entry and a known traveler number; she does not. We've also always had a lap infant in this period (always with my ticket, not hers). So for your coworker's son getting pre-check, that's consistent with my experience, but has nothing to do with elite status (or even AA, it appears).

In our case, it could be that pre-check carries over to companions or could be the lap infant; I've never pushed it and found out how to not get her pre-check! But if your coworker's companion is always getting pre-check when on the same reservation, that suggests that pre-check is consistently carrying over to companions.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by ashill
Is she putting her frequent flyer number in for him? If so, maybe there's some sort of system glitch that doesn't reject the frequent flyer number and shows her status on the boarding pass. (Do they have very similar names?) She isn't/doesn't think that she's getting frequent flyer credit for his flights, does she?

Now, my partner has gotten pre-check every single time we travel on the same PNR for the last year or so on AA, US, AS (whether I fly with my AA/Platinum or AS/no status frequent flyer number in the record), and DL. I have Global Entry and a known traveler number; she does not. We've also always had a lap infant in this period (always with my ticket, not hers). So for your coworker's son getting pre-check, that's consistent with my experience, but has nothing to do with elite status (or even AA, it appears).

In our case, it could be that pre-check carries over to companions or could be the lap infant; I've never pushed it and found out how to not get her pre-check! But if your coworker's companion is always getting pre-check when on the same reservation, that suggests that pre-check is consistently carrying over to companions.
Same experience here in terms of companions without a KTN on same record locator also getting pre-check. Curious if anyone knows whether there is an official TSA policy on this.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lightbulbs
Same experience here in terms of companions without a KTN on same record locator also getting pre-check. Curious if anyone knows whether there is an official TSA policy on this.
Me too, on 2 occasions pretty recently, on DL.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
When I book tickets for friends, even when not on the PNR, they get my Precheck. None of them has ever gotten my measly gold status though.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Me too, on 2 occasions pretty recently, on DL.
Here as well. Twice recently on both AA and AS with both parents on same PNR. They have no status and no KTN. I had pre as part of EXP and then GE,
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by wrp96
When I book tickets for friends, even when not on the PNR, they get my Precheck. None of them has ever gotten my measly gold status though.
How does the airline/TSA know that you booked the ticket when it's on a separate PNR? Your Known Traveler Number wouldn't be in the reservation. This indicates that at least part of what's going on is the TSA's general policy of giving pre check to many travelers. (I see pre check on a large fraction of boarding passes at the gate these days, including too many travelers with no status printed on the boarding pass for it to be companions etc.) But my partner's success rate when on a PNR with me is too high (probably 20 straight times we've checked in, at least) to be random.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
In the midst of the cutover and final merger I think there was some sort of glitch, as husband used his miles to book my daughters tickets to ORD, she got a boarding pass with her name but his Ff# and his executive platinum status. Needless to say she was thrilled just to be able to board early. He was not flying with her.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:21 pm

I have booked my mother, no status and no KNT, on several flights when she tagged along with me and she has always received precheck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.