Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 MileSAAver Awards Disappear, Unavailable [AAnytime now back]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 MileSAAver Awards Disappear, Unavailable [AAnytime now back]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
I suppose it makes sense business-wise, but it seems a little cynical to withhold release of Saver award seats for two months until the devaluation kicks in.

Is that indeed what people think is going on?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
Originally Posted by enzian
I suppose it makes sense business-wise, but it seems a little cynical to withhold release of Saver award seats for two months until the devaluation kicks in.

I doubt it. If that's the case, they should also pull the December holiday season.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:23 pm

There aren't any Saver awards in Business Class at all after December 13, neither from MIA to SCL nor EZE to JKF (the two routes I have been looking at. So nothing during the holiday season. And while there are Saver awards in Economy up through December, there are none starting January 1.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:39 pm

No Saver Awards at all to South America in 2017?

I know there are other threads discussing the lack of availability of award seats for 2017, but they are fairly unspecific as to route and there does not seem to be any resolution of the reasons. So I am asking about two specific routes to and from South America. I have been following the release of Saver award seats in Business Class on AA metal MIA to SCL and EZE to JFK. These were freely available up until December 13. (They still are). But after that date, nothing. Only AAnytime awards in Business and First. There are Saver awards in Economy up to December 31, but nothing in 2017 at all.

This seems very strange.

There was some speculation on another thread that AA is withholding Saver award seats until after the devaluation on March 22. But only speculation.

Does anyone know what is going on? I have put considerable time and effort into acquiring AA miles so we can fly to Patagonia next year on AA in Business Class, but unless things change it appears it will not be possible to book the seats (we only have enough miles for Saver awards, not AAnytime).

If they are indeed holding back the Saver awards until after the devaluation that is OK, as I cannot book our flights until then anyway. But it would be nice to know if that is the reason, or if there is something else going on.

Any insight appreciated! I am new to AA, but have successfully used AS miles and BA Avios to fly in comfort to Australia and Europe a number of times. I just have never seen anything like this problem in the other programs.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(Link that is now circular, due to merged threads, eliminated.)

It's not unique to South America.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 20, 2016 at 8:46 am
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
As a believer in conspiracy theories I wonder if it's possible they plan on holding saver awards until March 22 when more miles will be required?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Certainly not in my opinion.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:24 pm

Then what is it?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:32 pm

Thanks, I read through that entire thread ( and posted on there as well) before starting a new one that is more specific. That one seems to be mostly concerned with domestic routes, and there is no hard information about what might be causing the problem. Is it a computer glitch? A change in policy on release of award seats? For the routes I am looking at, there has been a radical change in the pattern of released award seats, starting December 14 and continuing into the most recent release date in January. Does anyone know the reason? Or have a plausible explanation?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Thanks, I read through that entire thread ( and posted on there as well) before starting a new one that is more specific. That one seems to be mostly concerned with domestic routes, and there is no hard information about what might be causing the problem. Is it a computer glitch? A change in policy on release of award seats? For the routes I am looking at, there has been a radical change in the pattern of released award seats, starting December 14 and continuing into the most recent release date in January. Does anyone know the reason? Or have a plausible explanation?
It's the same issue/topic as this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...available.html

There's no advantage to having multiple threads on the subject.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
There aren't any Saver awards in Business Class at all after December 13, neither from MIA to SCL nor EZE to JKF (the two routes I have been looking at. So nothing during the holiday season. And while there are Saver awards in Economy up through December, there are none starting January 1.
I'm actually following the December awards, and they're coming in day by day. e.g. today dec13, yesterday dec12, the day before dec11. It seems like their release is lagging by a month or so behind schedule for whatever reason. But keep checking them and you'll see they gradually open up, day by day.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:47 pm

I'm pretty familiar with AA award to southern cone, and I really don't see anything unusual. Normally saaver level will go up until around Dec 15th and will show up again around Jan 7th. This just follows the popular holidays down there. Sometimes you'll find availability on dec 25 and Jan 1, but that's about it.
I hope I'm answering to your question.
Eldie
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by ElDie
I'm pretty familiar with AA award to southern cone, and I really don't see anything unusual. Normally saaver level will go up until around Dec 15th and will show up again around Jan 7th. This just follows the popular holidays down there. Sometimes you'll find availability on dec 25 and Jan 1, but that's about it.
I hope I'm answering to your question.
Eldie
So this is an issue around the holiday season? That would explain the disappearance of Saver seats after Dec. 13, but not the failure to re-appear in January. Still nothing in Saver as of the most current release date, January 15. Not in any class of service.

So I just hope they start re-appearing by late March or April, but what chance is there?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:12 am

I was able to book a flight for the wife and child from LAX to SFO on Jan. 3rd with business/first milessaver awards a couple weeks ago and now those same awards are no longer available. Available business/first milessaver awards stop starting Jan. 1st. Only ones I see now in this category are limited to Alaska Air only for the first day booking is available but they too disappear the next day.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:50 am

So this is an issue around the holiday season? That would explain the disappearance of Saver seats after Dec. 13, but not the failure to re-appear in January. Still nothing in Saver as of the most current release date, January 15. Not in any class of service.

So I just hope they start re-appearing by late March or April, but what chance is there?
That's the point of this whole thread. No saver award on AA metal on any route that AA fly in 2017.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.