Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Cabin Class and Lavatory Use Policy
On Flight operating domestically and on flights departing from the U.S., customers may use the lavatory in any cabin.

On International flights returning to the U.S. from non-U.S. locations, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires airlines to direct customers to use lavatories in their ticketed class of service. This directive applies to the use of lavatories only and is not meant to restrict the movement of passengers between cabins for other reasons (families/coworkers).

Hope this clarifies any confusion.
c/o sluggoaafa link

NOTE: Some recent statements claim on international flights to the USA, no inter cabin movement is allowed for passengers - not merely lavatory use, but visiting, etc. This remains unverified through official channels. - JDiver

Archived previous thread link
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry

Can anyone succinctly and accurately summarize what AA's first class lav policy is?

My wife and I were on AA 574 (PHX-TPA) in F and there was a steady stream of Y pax that were using the F lav. The FA did nothing at all to stem the tide. Now, that, by itself, isn't the end of the world but at one point my wife needed to use it. She waited until the occupied light went off and then got up to make her way to the lav. As she moved forward, the FA told her that someone was waiting to use it (a Y pax who was waiting in the aisle at the front of coach) and she would have to wait. Now, we didn't realize there was a queue in coach for the F lav. But I am somewhat stunned to believe that now F pax have to look for a Y queue for the F lav and then get in line.

I strikes me that if we can have priority boarding to get on the plane, we ought to have some priority for gaining access to the lav in our cabin.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
The policy is to use the lav of your respective cabin.8 believe Y shouldn't even be allowed to use F lav, though given the proximity they often are. The lav in the back may have been broken, but if not send a message to AA with flight details.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Since switching back to AA in November of 2014, I have never seen AA enforce the policy of using the lav in one's ticketed cabin. This is particularly annoying when flying in paid J on an A319 with only 8 J seats, and having to stand in the galley to access the lav. It's an issue on every single flight to and from.

I was surprised to learn that AA has crews based in my "home" city of MDE. As a long time resident of Latin America, my experience is that the airlines based in this part of the world don't enforce it, either. Perhaps that would explain this experience on my flights between MDE and MIA, but it doesn't explain their failure to enforce it on the many domestic flights I take once I get to the USA.

AA serves me better than did UA in a number of ways, so I'm staying put for now, but they definitely have a deficit in the area of training their onboard personnel. This is just one of several issues that I now accept, but never experienced when flying UA.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:10 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
On INTERNATIONAL flts. they make a specific announcement re pax should stay in their booked sections of the plane--they even draw the curtain to keep the sections apart.
On DOMESTIC flts. I've never heard any such announcement.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On international flights TO the USA, my understanding is that there's a TSA rule requiring passengers to stay in their ticketed cabin. This implies that on such flights it's a security violation for coach passengers to use a first or business class lavatory.

Have you complained to the FA/purser? In fact, do the close the curtain between cabins to discourage coach passengers from coming up to FC for any reason, including to use the lavatory?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
They make the announcement. They close the curtain. They do not enforce it.

Speaking specifically here about MDE-MIA.

Last edited by KenInEscazu; Feb 8, 2016 at 11:28 pm
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
The policy is to use the lav of your respective cabin.8 believe Y shouldn't even be allowed to use F lav, though given the proximity they often are. The lav in the back may have been broken, but if not send a message to AA with flight details.
AA has no such policy on domestic flights. You'll get the occasional FA that turns Y pax away, but most don't care... just like their employer.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by SFO777
AA has no such policy on domestic flights. You'll get the occasional FA that turns Y pax away, but most don't care... just like their employer.
the official policy for domestic flights is that anyone can use the F lav (even when the magical curtain is closed), but Y pax must not congregate in the F aisle or the F galley (wait behind the curtain). As this is the airline's policy, there's nothing for FA's to care about who uses the lav. Anyone can use the lav.
(policy was confirmed to me by an AA purser).
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
They make the announcement. They close the curtain. They do not enforce it.

Speaking specifically here about MDE-MIA.
MDE-MIA is an international flight TO the USA so AA is required to enforce the rule.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Only time I've ever seen it enforced is on US-bound international flights. The "per federal regulation..." announcement is made and FAs will say something if they see Y pax trying to slip through the curtain, especially on the 77W.

I believe that there is no lav policy in place on domestic flights.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
the official policy for domestic flights is that anyone can use the F lav (even when the magical curtain is closed), but Y pax must not congregate in the F aisle or the F galley (wait behind the curtain). As this is the airline's policy, there's nothing for FA's to care about who uses the lav. Anyone can use the lav.
This is correct.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Originally Posted by BSBD
This is correct.
Yes, but this is definitely the first I've heard of a FA requiring an F pax to "yield" to a bunch of Y passengers waiting for the F lav. What I've seen is the opposite, when this situation arises.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Generally the F FAs will restrict Y paxs coming up while they are doing the meal service. Sometimes they will prevent Y paxs using the lav while F paxs are waiting. Interestingly, AS has a strict policy of no Y paxs using the F lav and the FAs enforce it.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Doesn't make sense to walk to the back of the plane if you are in the first few rows of Y. I;ll walk forward every time.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
nterestingly, AS has a strict policy of no Y paxs using the F lav and the FAs enforce it.
They certainly make an announcement to ask that passengers use the lavatory in their ticketed cabin, but did not find this enforced across my three AS flights in December (IAD-SEA, FAI-ANC-SCC-BRW, BRW-FAI-SEA).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.