Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Cabin Class and Lavatory Use Policy
On Flight operating domestically and on flights departing from the U.S., customers may use the lavatory in any cabin.

On International flights returning to the U.S. from non-U.S. locations, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires airlines to direct customers to use lavatories in their ticketed class of service. This directive applies to the use of lavatories only and is not meant to restrict the movement of passengers between cabins for other reasons (families/coworkers).

Hope this clarifies any confusion.
c/o sluggoaafa link

NOTE: Some recent statements claim on international flights to the USA, no inter cabin movement is allowed for passengers - not merely lavatory use, but visiting, etc. This remains unverified through official channels. - JDiver

Archived previous thread link
Print Wikipost

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Apr 27, 2024, 12:59 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by Uzzar
On domestic flights it is allowed for anyone to use the F lav. The FA was doing the passengers in F a favor, as usually they start to line up in the F aisle. Keeping them behind the curtain passes the inconvenience to Y pax.
Ah. I have never seen passengers lining up in the F aisle. I certainly understand not inconveniencing F passengers. Thanks for responding.

Originally Posted by npretnar
This seems like a one-off directive made by one particular FA to keep too many people from congregating in the front of the plane.

There is nothing in company policy that prohibits economy pax from using the First lav on domestic flights.

Thanks for replying. Iím hoping this was indeed a one-off. I suppose Iíve simply been lucky on my flights that passengers self-imposed staying in their seats until the bathroom in First became available or didnít realize they could use the bathroom in First. Most importantly, Iíve been lucky in that no FA have told passengers to queue for access to the bathroom. I find the other reply to my thread disconcerting in that this person had actually witnessed economy passengers queuing in the F aisle. That is really beyond the pale.

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 28, 2024 at 7:43 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts; please use multi-quote feature
peregrin is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:18 pm
  #107  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Posts: 35,763
This change was introduced at least 15 years ago. It was to alleviate the issue of the service carts blocking the Y aisle and the access to the rear lavs for extended periods. But now, pax in the front of the Y section don't want to walk all the way to the back and just crash the F lav.

I have personally never done this when seated in Y.
vasantn is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:41 pm
  #108  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WAS
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,134
Last week noticed a bunch of E pax coming up to use the F lavatory despite no carts blocking the aisle. The FA made them wait at the curtain and F pax were allowed to use first, which I appreciated. I know AA doesnít prohibit economy pax from using the F lav on domestic flights. UA makes announcements to use lav in class of service.
hurnik and LovePrunes like this.
Duke777 is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2024, 2:05 pm
  #109  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Posts: 6,229
AS allows Y passengers to use the F lavatory only when a cart is blocking them from the rear lavatories. At such time, queues form in the Y aisle, not in F.

An AS employee who is following company custom will announce when the carts are no longer in the aisle and therefore that Y passengers should resume using only the rear lavatories.

I think this is a good way to solve this issue and should be adopted by AA.
Buster CT1K is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2024, 4:40 pm
  #110  
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: SFO
Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Posts: 431
This was a topic in the Delta forum a few weeks ago too but for the other reason.. Non First passengers using the first lavatory.

Delta 1st doesn't close curtain?

Agree with Buster. Alaska does a good job of clearly stating when itís okÖ. Also I know the idea of decorum is out of style but if someone is going to line up in an alley they should stagger themselves so they are not right in your bubble and striking distance of your arms.
Buster CT1K and Duke777 like this.
FenwayTim is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2024, 5:06 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Posts: 2,917
Reading this thread reminded me of the only time an FA told me that bathrooms on domestic can be used by any class of cabin but on international you have to stay in your cabin.. So that is actually a thing? A thing for US airlines or any airline? Its funny b/c I think she was just having a bad day as she was the only not nice FA on an otherwise pleasant AA long haul to GRU. She actually was telling me to go back to F to use the lav which was funny. I always go to change to bbal shorts or PJ's in the large lav behind the galley at L2.. Curious though if this is actually a thing about domestic/international dictating when Y can use F lavs.
happiest_at_40000 is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2024, 6:09 pm
  #112  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
Posts: 5,042
Originally Posted by peregrin
Has anyone ever encountered this on an AA flight?
Yes, maybe 10% of the time.

I prefer it. It's best if the riff-raff spend as my much time as possible on the side of the curtain they paid for.
Icecat likes this.
DataPlumber is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2024, 6:32 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by vasantn
This change was introduced at least 15 years ago. It was to alleviate the issue of the service carts blocking the Y aisle and the access to the rear lavs for extended periods. But now, pax in the front of the Y section don't want to walk all the way to the back and just crash the F lav.

I have personally never done this when seated in Y.
Thank you for your reply. I donít use the F bathroom when seated in Y either. Does indeed feel like ďcrashing.Ē

Originally Posted by Duke777
Last week noticed a bunch of E pax coming up to use the F lavatory despite no carts blocking the aisle. The FA made them wait at the curtain and F pax were allowed to use first, which I appreciated. I know AA doesnít prohibit economy pax from using the F lav on domestic flights. UA makes announcements to use lav in class of service.
Ah, so another example of a line forming directly behind the F curtainÖ I prefer UAís approach. Thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
AS allows Y passengers to use the F lavatory only when a cart is blocking them from the rear lavatories. At such time, queues form in the Y aisle, not in F.

An AS employee who is following company custom will announce when the carts are no longer in the aisle and therefore that Y passengers should resume using only the rear lavatories.

I think this is a good way to solve this issue and should be adopted by AA.

Thank you for your reply. That sounds like a common-sense approach.

Originally Posted by FenwayTim
This was a topic in the Delta forum a few weeks ago too but for the other reason.. Non First passengers using the first lavatory.

Delta 1st doesn't close curtain?

Agree with Buster. Alaska does a good job of clearly stating when itís okÖ. Also I know the idea of decorum is out of style but if someone is going to line up in an alley they should stagger themselves so they are not right in your bubble and striking distance of your arms.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I couldnít agree more, decorum sadly seems a thing of the past the majority of the time. Alaska seems to have thought the situation through and tried to come up with an intelligent solution. Thank you for the link to the Delta thread.

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Yes, maybe 10% of the time.

I prefer it. It's best if the riff-raff spend as my much time as possible on the side of the curtain they paid for.

Lol. Valid point of receiving what one paid for without ďfreeloadersĒ impinging. However, there may be a scenario where First isnít available and youíll be stuck with the unwashed masses in Economy and will be wishing the MCE rows didnít come with people standing over you. Thank you for replying.

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 28, 2024 at 7:44 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts; please use multi-quote feature
peregrin is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2024, 6:47 pm
  #114  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,385
there's a very practical reason the FA said to coach passengers to wait outside the entrance to first class...if there are people in the aisle in first class, they interfere with doing service in first class. As others have said, coach passengers on domestic flights using first class lav is nothing new, been this way forever it seems. Announcements may or may not be made over the PA, but I have definitely seen FA's shoo coach passengers back to the curtain, even if the curtain is pulled back for the flight.
TWA884 likes this.
LovePrunes is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:08 pm
  #115  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,976
Originally Posted by peregrin
Lol. Valid point of receiving what one paid for without ďfreeloadersĒ impinging. However, there may be a scenario where First isnít available and youíll be stuck with the unwashed masses in Economy and will be wishing the MCE rows didnít come with people standing over you. Thank you for replying.
MCE is still economy - no difference with people queuing in economy at the front of the cabin as opposed to the rear

It is not a separate class of service, just rows of seats with better legroom
LovePrunes likes this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:21 pm
  #116  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
there's a very practical reason the FA said to coach passengers to wait outside the entrance to first class...if there are people in the aisle in first class, they interfere with doing service in first class. As others have said, coach passengers on domestic flights using first class lav is nothing new, been this way forever it seems. Announcements may or may not be made over the PA, but I have definitely seen FA's shoo coach passengers back to the curtain, even if the curtain is pulled back for the flight.
No, coach passengers using the first class lavatory isnít anything new, as you say. Perhaps I wasnít clear enough in my original post, what I was referring to was a line of economy class passengers waiting to use the F lavatory. The queue is what is new.
peregrin is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:26 pm
  #117  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,976
Originally Posted by peregrin
No, coach passengers using the first class lavatory isn’t anything new, as you say. Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough in my original post, what I was referring to was a line of economy class passengers waiting to use the F lavatory. The queue is what is new.
There were economy class passengers, queuing in economy class to use the lavatories. There doesn't seem anything at all to complain about tbh

If this was an international route where passengers are not permitted to cross cabins, then there would be a complaint possible about the breach in letting people use the facilities in another cabin. In this case, there is no such restriction , nor an AA policy to prohibit it
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:27 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
MCE is still economy - no difference with people queuing in economy at the front of the cabin as opposed to the rear

It is not a separate class of service, just rows of seats with better legroom
Thanks for your reply. I do believe a queue at the back of the plane waiting for use of the E bathroom is quite different from a queue of E passengers waiting to use the F bathroom. Furthermore, as I travel extensively, enough to be an Executive Platinum with AA, and Wednesday was the first time Iíve ever encountered this scenario. I do realize MCE isnít a different class of service, btw.
peregrin is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:30 pm
  #119  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,976
Originally Posted by peregrin
Thanks for your reply. I do believe a queue at the back of the plane waiting for use of the E bathroom is quite different from a queue of E passengers waiting to use the F bathroom. Furthermore, as I travel extensively, enough to be an Executive Platinum with AA, and Wednesday was the first time Iíve ever encountered this scenario. I do realize MCE isnít a different class of service, btw.
Then why keep referring to it as if it is different?
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:30 pm
  #120  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There were economy class passengers, queuing in economy class to use the lavatories. There doesn't seem anything at all to complain about tbh
You missed the point of the post. It may be your opinion there isnít anything to complain about but that is your opinion. There is no reason to tell me how to feel about the situation. Rude.

I didnít. It was an ancillary point that people in MCE paid extra. The crux of my post, which you seemed to have missed, is the question about queuing of Economy passengers for use of the First Class bathroom

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 28, 2024 at 7:45 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts; please use multi-quote feature
peregrin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.