Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Cabin Class and Lavatory Use Policy
On Flight operating domestically and on flights departing from the U.S., customers may use the lavatory in any cabin.

On International flights returning to the U.S. from non-U.S. locations, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires airlines to direct customers to use lavatories in their ticketed class of service. This directive applies to the use of lavatories only and is not meant to restrict the movement of passengers between cabins for other reasons (families/coworkers).

Hope this clarifies any confusion.
c/o sluggoaafa link

NOTE: Some recent statements claim on international flights to the USA, no inter cabin movement is allowed for passengers - not merely lavatory use, but visiting, etc. This remains unverified through official channels. - JDiver

Archived previous thread link
Print Wikipost

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:57 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by GeneralVeers
The discussion isn't about mobility impaired passengers. It's about regular Y passengers who have full mobility and for whom a trip to the back of the plane isn't a burden

Personally I don't think they should be using the F lavatories unless there is a mechanical issue with the lavatories themselves.

When I have to sit in economy (more and more often these days. ) and on the rare occasion I need to use the lav, I go to the back even if sitting in row 8 or 9.
And if there is a service cart in the aisle?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
My MDE-MIA flight on Sunday afternoon had the usual parade of economy passengers coming up to use the J lav and waiting for their turn in the galley. Additionally, one guy came up from Y to talk to his friends in J, and he was in the aisle having a moderately loud conversation that woke me up. That lasted probably 20 minutes.

I wrote to AA this time and received my response almost immediately. It said, "Thanks blah... blah... blah... Bye." I'm quite sure it was deleted after the reply was written. Obviously, I got the impression that they simply don't care about enforcing this TSA requirement.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
So, what is the policy for Premium Economy?
I was on DFW-EZE (aircraft was 772) and I asked the FA which restroom I could use. He said either business or economy.
I went to the business one and on my way a different FA blocked my way (politely) and said I should go back to the economy one but let me go this time (I noticed that they have redone the J lav with faux wood trims and floor, looks nicer, but it was dirty anyways).

So which one is it for Premium Economy? (IIRC, there were curtains on both sides of PE).
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by carlosdca
So, what is the policy for Premium Economy?
I was on DFW-EZE (aircraft was 772) and I asked the FA which restroom I could use. He said either business or economy.
I went to the business one and on my way a different FA blocked my way (politely) and said I should go back to the economy one but let me go this time (I noticed that they have redone the J lav with faux wood trims and floor, looks nicer, but it was dirty anyways).

So which one is it for Premium Economy? (IIRC, there were curtains on both sides of PE).
As it was outbound from the US, AA policy is that you could use any lav in any cabin. Of course, FAs have a habit of making up their own rules.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:42 pm

The inconsistency of all this is whatís annoying. The flight attendant on a recent domestic 737 came on with an announcement not to form a line at the rear because we were getting in the way. Please only come to the back when thereís an empty lavatory. OK. But sitting in 7D makes it very hard to ďwinĒ that race; people keep getting in ahead of me. So instead I wait for a break at the front. Despite allowing people up for the first half the flight, the first class FA suddenly changes his policy and tells me in a hilariously condescending voice that the forward lavatory is for business class passengers. So Iím basically stuck in 7D, unable to pee...
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by jamespvg
... the first class FA suddenly changes his policy and tells me in a hilariously condescending voice that the forward lavatory is for business class passengers....
my usual response that this is ", oh, when did AA change their policy on lav use ?"

9 times out of 10, the FA responds with "Oh, just use this one"
Old May 22, 2019, 11:56 am

Just got off AA 46 ORD-LHR. Cabin crew were ok except they announced that per TSA rules no one is allowed to use the bathroom in a different cabin. Obviously they were wrong because thatís not TSA policy and also not AA policy. I was in MCE and tried to use lab between PE and J and was turned away. No big deal but I hate when crews making up policies. I didnít feel like arguing so I donít receive a shitth service later. Anyone else experienced this lately?
Old May 22, 2019, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by gateH15
Just got off AA 46 ORD-LHR. Cabin crew were ok except they announced that per TSA rules no one is allowed to use the bathroom in a different cabin. Obviously they were wrong because thatís not TSA policy and also not AA policy. I was in MCE and tried to use lab between PE and J and was turned away. No big deal but I hate when crews making up policies. I didnít feel like arguing so I donít receive a shitth service later. Anyone else experienced this lately?
Sometimes the Captain announces it (like on my LAX/MIA flight Saturday) and sometimes FAs announce such. AFAIK it's not an AA policy, however, the Captain has discretion on what he/she imposes.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Sometimes the Captain announces it (like on my LAX/MIA flight Saturday) and sometimes FAs announce such. AFAIK it's not an AA policy, however, the Captain has discretion on what he/she imposes.
Iím not sure who announced it cuz I could barely hear it (was wearing my Bose headphones). But I was annoyed. I also was expecting crew is here for your safety only announcement to follow but that didnít happen haha.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines
I’ll be flying a couple of longer flights next week and throughout June. I’ll have a seat in business on two class planes. I’ll be heading to the lav in the rear, where I’m going to promptly spend about 20 or so minutes inside, maybe longer. Then I’m going to hang out nearby chatting loudly, and whatever other annoying thing I can think of, like perhaps opening and then slamming closed some overhead bins in search of nothing.

I’ll make at least 2 trips per hour of flight to do this.

And you know why? Because I’m finally at the point where I just want to pay it back.

Hope to see you up there!
Old May 22, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Flight44
Iíll be flying a couple of longer flights next week and throughout June. Iíll have a seat in business on two class planes. Iíll be heading to the lav in the rear, where Iím going to promptly spend about 20 or so minutes inside, maybe longer. Then Iím going to hang out nearby chatting loudly, and whatever other annoying thing I can think of, like perhaps opening and then slamming closed some overhead bins in search of nothing.

Iíll make at least 2 trips per hour of flight to do this.

And you know why? Because Iím finally at the point where I just want to pay it back.

Hope to see you up there!
go for it. I wonít be bothered cuz you canít pay me to seat near lavs in the back 😝
Old May 22, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by gateH15

go for it. I wonít be bothered cuz you canít pay me to seat near lavs in the back 😝
Donít worry, Iíll spill my luggage or a drink on you or just bash into the seat or some other disgusting, inconsiderate act that will be your problem.

Cheers!
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:53 am

Are we going to start seeing economy passengers queuing for first class bathroom?

I was on an American Airlines flight Wednesday, seated in Main Cabin Extra, aisle seat. The flight attendant told economy passengers to wait in line behind the curtain divider for use of the first class bathroom. It was miserable for me as I almost had my drink spill as a waiting passenger hit my tray, elbows and bums in my face for an extended period.

I had never experienced this, despite flying MCE for years. I know lines for the bathroom in the back of the plane are par for the course but this was a first. When I complained about it to the FA, she told me it was common space and she couldnít stop passengers from lining up there. She was being disingenious as sheís the one who created the situation by instructing passengers to line up there. On all other flights Iíve been on, sometimes economy are allowed to use first class bathrooms but often not. And when they were allowed, they waited in their seats until it became available. I know this is a first world problem but it made for a miserable flight.

Has anyone ever encountered this on an AA flight?
Old Apr 27, 2024, 2:46 am

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold; Hyatt Globalist
This seems like a one-off directive made by one particular FA to keep too many people from congregating in the front of the plane.

There is nothing in company policy that prohibits economy pax from using the First lav on domestic flights.
FAA1996, LovePrunes and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 8:53 am

Programs: AA-EXP
On domestic flights it is allowed for anyone to use the F lav. The FA was doing the passengers in F a favor, as usually they start to line up in the F aisle. Keeping them behind the curtain passes the inconvenience to Y pax.
clbish, USFlyerUS, hurnik and 3 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.