Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Cabin Class and Lavatory Use Policy
On Flight operating domestically and on flights departing from the U.S., customers may use the lavatory in any cabin.

On International flights returning to the U.S. from non-U.S. locations, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires airlines to direct customers to use lavatories in their ticketed class of service. This directive applies to the use of lavatories only and is not meant to restrict the movement of passengers between cabins for other reasons (families/coworkers).

Hope this clarifies any confusion.
c/o sluggoaafa link

NOTE: Some recent statements claim on international flights to the USA, no inter cabin movement is allowed for passengers - not merely lavatory use, but visiting, etc. This remains unverified through official channels. - JDiver

Archived previous thread link
Print Wikipost

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
No, it is a private company.
It's actually a common carrier, which is functionally equivalent to public transportation.

Everyone loves semantics!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
It's actually a common carrier, which is functionally equivalent to public transportation.

"Public transportation" is a common carrier that run and owned by a State entity for the "common" good of all those who use it; e.g. BART in SF and MARTA in Atlanta.

AA is a common carrier doing business as a private entity that is publicly owned and obligated to be run in a way to maximize shareholder value.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:31 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by rjw242

I almost typed that, but I didn't think anyone would get it.

However, public transportation it is not.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Since these folks pre-board, shouldn't they sit closer to the lavs in the rear?
So these folks should not have the option to book MCE? Since they cannot sit in an exit row the front MCE seats are the only other option.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by brodielayne
So these folks should not have the option to book MCE? Since they cannot sit in an exit row the front MCE seats are the only other option.
If these folks prefer to sit in front and use F lavs, why not book F like the rest of us?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:40 pm

If these folks prefer to sit in front and use F lavs, why not book F like the rest of us?
My feedback is from experience, and if F is not available MCE is of course the next best option.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:49 pm

My feedback is from experience, and if F is not available MCE is of course the next best option.
So, pre-boarding is a courtesy given to the Disabled (rightfully so when legitimate), but in the event a Disabled person is unable to book F space, he/she should be allowed to: (1) pre-board; (2) sit anywhere; and, (3) have full access to F lavs, because of mobility issues and their disdain for rear seating, as if they were any other F pax.

Is that about right?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:54 pm

So, pre-boarding is a courtesy given to the Disabled (rightfully so when legitimate), but in the event a Disabled person is unable to book F space, he/she should be allowed to: (1) pre-board; (2) sit anywhere; and, (3) have full access to F lavs, because of mobility issues and their disdain for the rare, as if they were any other F pax.

Is that about right?
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Have full access to F lavs if sitting towards the front of the aircraft and getting to the F lavs is more sensible.

Prior to my situation I never gave much thought to my points, however living with the challenges I can assure you that an able bodied person should make reasonable exceptions for the less fortunate. Sharing a toilet seems pretty reasonable.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:55 pm

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Have full access to F lavs if sitting towards the front of the aircraft and getting to the F lavs is more sensible.

Prior to my situation I never gave much thought to my points, however living with the challenges I can assure you that an able bodied person should make reasonable exceptions for the less fortunate. Sharing a toilet seems pretty reasonable.
On this, I couldn't agree more!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:59 pm

On this, I couldn't agree more!
Thanks. Sadly there are those who abuse such accommodations and screw it up for others.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The seats AA prioritized for people with disabilities are toward the front of Main Cabin / Ecomony for access reasons that do not include lavatory access.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
And make them have to walk/be wheeled down the entire length of the plane? Disabled passengers may also require the extra space of the bulkhead row.

Although when I was mobility impaired I sat in the bulkhead row and used the economy lavs at the back like a good Y passenger.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:45 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
And make them have to walk/be wheeled down the entire length of the plane? Disabled passengers may also require the extra space of the bulkhead row.

Although when I was mobility impaired I sat in the bulkhead row and used the economy lavs at the back like a good Y passenger.
The discussion isn't about mobility impaired passengers. It's about regular Y passengers who have full mobility and for whom a trip to the back of the plane isn't a burden

Personally I don't think they should be using the F lavatories unless there is a mechanical issue with the lavatories themselves.

When I have to sit in economy (more and more often these days. ) and on the rare occasion I need to use the lav, I go to the back even if sitting in row 8 or 9.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
When I'm in Y I prefer the long walk back just to get the blood flowing. Once on a long flight in F, I was stretching and the FA told me it was OK if I wanted to take walk to the back of the plane.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by GeneralVeers
The discussion isn't about mobility impaired passengers. It's about regular Y passengers who have full mobility and for whom a trip to the back of the plane isn't a burden

Personally I don't think they should be using the F lavatories unless there is a mechanical issue with the lavatories themselves.

When I have to sit in economy (more and more often these days. ) and on the rare occasion I need to use the lav, I go to the back even if sitting in row 8 or 9.
How can you tell who a "regular" customer is?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.