Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Cabin Class and Lavatory Use Policy
On Flight operating domestically and on flights departing from the U.S., customers may use the lavatory in any cabin.

On International flights returning to the U.S. from non-U.S. locations, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires airlines to direct customers to use lavatories in their ticketed class of service. This directive applies to the use of lavatories only and is not meant to restrict the movement of passengers between cabins for other reasons (families/coworkers).

Hope this clarifies any confusion.
c/o sluggoaafa link

NOTE: Some recent statements claim on international flights to the USA, no inter cabin movement is allowed for passengers - not merely lavatory use, but visiting, etc. This remains unverified through official channels. - JDiver

Archived previous thread link
Print Wikipost

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:31 am

Smile

Originally Posted by rjw242
I do love a good show of internet bravado.
An informed traveler has much more enjoyment than those who are not as informed.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In contrast to the quote posted in the wiki, my understanding is that for international flight segments TO the USA, FAA (or TSA/Homeland Security) policy forbids the crossing of cabin boundaries, including for purposes other than FC lavatory use. In particular, on such flights, you can't just visit friends/family in a higher cabin class even if you don't use the lav during your "visit." AA policy and announcements are required to be consistent with the FAA/TSA rules.
The person I talked to at AA CS did say that this is purely a domestic policy and that International flights continue with use the lav in ones ticketed cabin.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by JMN57
1) There has been a recent change in policy that now allows main cabin customers access to F lavs
2) Policy is "first come, first served"
3) FA's are tasked to monitor this activity to ensure that First Class passengers are not inconvenienced (I am not sure what they mean by that)
This is asinine. FAs shouldn't have to be the potty police. I have never had an issue with a few people needing to use the forward lav - kids who or others who cannot wait for the cart to clear the aisle, someone with mobility issues, etc.

But when I sit with a line of people standing over me, impatiently waiting, it gets old. And there seems to be so little time on any domestic flight where one can actually use the restroom: the seat belt sign is off, there is no f&b service, the pilots are not in the cabin, nor have the door open.

I just don't get it. What problem does this policy solve?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks

I just don't get it. What problem does this policy solve?
Nearest I can tell the LCC mgmt was concerned that unlike their previous airline there was a risk that people might actually pay for F rather than have a cabin full of upgrades on cheap fares. These people would naturally have higher expectations and so to mitigate this risk they are on a mission to minimize people actually buying a first class ticket.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by JMN57
The person I talked to at AA CS did say that this is purely a domestic policy and that International flights continue with use the lav in ones ticketed cabin.
Seems the wiki does not reflect this info....
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Seems the wiki does not reflect this info....
Seems the wiki is community property and can be edited by anyone meeting the criteria. As it states in every wikipost header: "Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts."

I've added a note (but I hope everyone is clear it's nobody's "job", including Moderators', to create, edit or update wikiposts), including the intercabin movement prohibition for any reason has not been verified.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by JDiver
Seems the wiki is community property and can be edited by anyone meeting the criteria. As it states in every wikipost header: "Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts."

I've added a note (but I hope everyone is clear it's nobody's "job", including Moderators', to create, edit or update wikiposts), including the intercabin movement prohibition for any reason has not been verified.
Indeed.

I tend to hang back, especially on a rapidly evolving topic where the 'story' may not be fully understood.

Then, once the thread develops some consensus then maybe edit the wiki...

IMO
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:33 pm

In my experience, on AA domestic flights, you always hear the "please use the lavatory in your cabin class. The lavatory in front are for First class."

Of course, it's never enforced, ever. There are practical reasons. When they serve drinks, you can't very well expect a person to wait until the service is compete before using the lavatory. Also, the FAs always make it clear that lines are not to congregate near any lavatories, especially in F.

Fortunately, I've never had to use the lav domestic flight. I always opt for a window F seat in order to be spared of the added foot traffic with the parade of people using the F lavs. On one flight, a kindly lady asked what to do about using the lav when it was constantly taken by Y paxs. I suggested she request the FA to let her know the moment it's available. I've no idea about "official" AA procedure, but this FA made sure she used the lav before any non-F pax the moment it was vacant.

It isn't because she's better. It's because she had paid for the convenience, whether it's with more money, miles, or via a status upgrade. One would think this notion is universally accepted.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:32 pm

"One would think this notion is universally accepted."

What's universally accepted are rules, policies, regulations. Well, unless you like breaking the rules???? While some peeps might buck the "notion," a lot of times it is those with mobility issues, special needs, etc that would have a hell of a time making it down the narrow aisle in a flying aircraft.

I personally could give a rats a$$ who uses the bathroom, just don't set up shop in there so others can use it.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by brodielayne
While some peeps might buck the "notion," a lot of times it is those with mobility issues, special needs, etc that would have a hell of a time making it down the narrow aisle in a flying aircraft.
Since these folks pre-board, shouldn't they sit closer to the lavs in the rear?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:42 pm

My problem with Y passengers in F lavs is that the more people who use the rest rooms the more disgusting they get. Flying's no fun as it is but it's worse with a filthy bathroom. It never occurs to me to use the F rest room when I'm in coach. When I'm paying for F I don't want to wait in line. The last flight I took STL/DFW there was a line in F of coach passengers all the way to the door of the RR. The FA did nothing.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Gringa
My problem with Y passengers in F lavs is that the more people who use the rest rooms the more disgusting they get.
Right, this is the reason I never use lavs on domestic flights. Thankfully, I'm able to do it.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
One of the only things I miss about United. It was always announced on domestic flights that the F lavatory was for First Class passengers only. The flight attendants mostly enforced it.

If paying for F, one of the perks should be lower passenger-to-lavatory ratio so that you don't have to wait. When I have to go, I will get up, and I couldn't care less about any Y passengers behind me or standing behind the curtain.

One of the problems is that American lacks airplanes with a mid-cabin lavatory. United has them on the 737-900s and 757s. It's insane that the new American 321s have almost 180 passengers but no mid-cabin lavatory.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by GeneralVeers
If paying for F, one of the perks should be lower passenger-to-lavatory ratio so that you don't have to wait. When I have to go, I will get up, and I couldn't care less about any Y passengers behind me or standing behind the curtain.
One would think, right?

Not sure what happened, but now there's a group espousing that paying for F only entitles one to his seat, and not bin space (clearly labeled with the corresponding F seat assignment) or exclusive use of lavatories.

Where did this drivel originate?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:16 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg

It's public transportation, folks,
No, it is a private company.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.