Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Cabin Class and Lavatory Use Policy
On Flight operating domestically and on flights departing from the U.S., customers may use the lavatory in any cabin.

On International flights returning to the U.S. from non-U.S. locations, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires airlines to direct customers to use lavatories in their ticketed class of service. This directive applies to the use of lavatories only and is not meant to restrict the movement of passengers between cabins for other reasons (families/coworkers).

Hope this clarifies any confusion.
c/o sluggoaafa link

NOTE: Some recent statements claim on international flights to the USA, no inter cabin movement is allowed for passengers - not merely lavatory use, but visiting, etc. This remains unverified through official channels. - JDiver

Archived previous thread link
Print Wikipost

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Sorry for the confusion but you were not the OP to whom I was referring. See posts #21-22.
Technically, there's only one Original Poster per thread.

I would not hesitate to "cut" a line of Y pax waiting at the rear of the F cabin--most likely because I wouldn't even look to see if they were there. It's bad enough F pax often have to deal with pilots entering/leaving the flight deck.

Similarly, in Y, I will never use the F lav unless the aisle is blocked by the FAs doing service, and I can't wait.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
To get even, I go back and use the Y lav.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Gee, that is disappointing. I was on AA seated in the last row of F, near the F lab when someone from Y, who was waiting for the lav turned around and threw up on my arm rest. I kept ringing the FA call button and finally the FA came out of the galley. I told her what happened and she insisted on helping. She was really a nice FA.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:17 pm

Interesting to see the entitlement from some of the posters on here, some of whom do a pretty good job calling out FA's when they make up their own rules. AA's policy is clear as per the wiki, so be a good passenger and share the lav. I am with WRCsolberg on protecting my place in line as well, so think first before you pop off.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brodielayne
I am with WRCsolberg on protecting my place in line as well, so think first before you pop off.
I do love a good show of internet bravado.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: Unloyal, disloyal
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
To get even, I go back and use the Y lav.

That's a good idea. Next time I fly F I'm going to ask for an economy meal so they miss out on that and have to have my leftover F meal!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
FA on my recent MIA-JFK flight requested that passengers only use the lavs in their own cabin, to my appreciation. It was a 77W so the crew were probably used to the international limitation.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I did get a reply from AA Customer Service. It is noted not to disseminate it so I will not cut and paste it here but I will summarize the main points:

1) There has been a recent change in policy that now allows main cabin customers access to F lavs
2) Policy is "first come, first served"
3) FA's are tasked to monitor this activity to ensure that First Class passengers are not inconvenienced (I am not sure what they mean by that)
4) the shared observations with VP of Flight Services to reinforce the importance carefully managing this service area

There were a couple of other comments specific to the information I shared but this was the gist of it. I did reply back that I thought it would be useful if AA would be more specific about how they intended this to work as I could see this could lead to many different approaches depending on flight crews and that could be confusing to customers.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JMN57
I did get a reply from AA Customer Service. It is noted not to disseminate it so I will not cut and paste it here but I will summarize the main points:

1) There has been a recent change in policy that now allows main cabin customers access to F lavs
2) Policy is "first come, first served"
3) FA's are tasked to monitor this activity to ensure that First Class passengers are not inconvenienced (I am not sure what they mean by that)
4) the shared observations with VP of Flight Services to reinforce the importance carefully managing this service area

There were a couple of other comments specific to the information I shared but this was the gist of it. I did reply back that I thought it would be useful if AA would be more specific about how they intended this to work as I could see this could lead to many different approaches depending on flight crews and that could be confusing to customers.
Am I the only one who finds #2 and #3 incongruent. It's inherently inconvenient for first class pax to wait for coach pax to use the first class lav.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryan182
Am I the only one who finds #2 and #3 incongruent. It's inherently inconvenient for first class pax to wait for coach pax to use the first class lav.
Sort of, but I interpret it to mean that if there are too many Y passengers lining up for the F lav over the course of the flight, the FAs should redirect them back to coach.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I had a little back-and-forth via e-mail with AA customer service to try to clarify and ultimately got a phone call.

The policy seems to be that a F passenger should check to see if there is a line. If so, you let the FA know that you would like to use the lav and the FA notes where you should be in the line and then lets you know when it's your turn.

Had a discussion on how, IMO, this system was not very well thought out and that AA should think through how they want the system to work and the practicalities of it. Most of all, I emphasized that they need to communicate both what the policy is and how it actually should work in practice.

I do believe that some of what I pointed out will go up the ladder and hopefully AA will both adjust the policy, define the practice and communicate those better.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Doesn't make sense to walk to the back of the plane if you are in the first few rows of Y. I;ll walk forward every time.
Especially if you are disabled like I am and have trouble walking. For the record, I always clear it with a FA. Don't judge all of us "interlopers" together.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JMN57
The policy seems to be that a F passenger should check to see if there is a line. If so, you let the FA know that you would like to use the lav and the FA notes where you should be in the line and then lets you know when it's your turn.

Had a discussion on how, IMO, this system was not very well thought out and that AA should think through how they want the system to work and the practicalities of it. Most of all, I emphasized that they need to communicate both what the policy is and how it actually should work in practice.

I do believe that some of what I pointed out will go up the ladder and hopefully AA will both adjust the policy, define the practice and communicate those better.
I hope AA revises it too. While I would prefer that passengers use the lav in their own cabin, I understand why it might not always be feasible on a domestic narrowbody, but I don't think an F passenger should ever have to wait in line behind a Y passenger to use the lav in their own cabin (also, how is the F passenger supposed to know to check for a line first?).
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In contrast to the quote posted in the wiki, my understanding is that for international flight segments TO the USA, FAA (or TSA/Homeland Security) policy forbids the crossing of cabin boundaries, including for purposes other than FC lavatory use. In particular, on such flights, you can't just visit friends/family in a higher cabin class even if you don't use the lav during your "visit." AA policy and announcements are required to be consistent with the FAA/TSA rules.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I really dont care who pees in a lav... but on a long haul trip when i am sleeping in an F or J seat, an added 40 trips up ad down the aisle in my cabin is a major issue. THAT is the bigger impact IMO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.