Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Cabin Class and Lavatory Use Policy
On Flight operating domestically and on flights departing from the U.S., customers may use the lavatory in any cabin.

On International flights returning to the U.S. from non-U.S. locations, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires airlines to direct customers to use lavatories in their ticketed class of service. This directive applies to the use of lavatories only and is not meant to restrict the movement of passengers between cabins for other reasons (families/coworkers).

Hope this clarifies any confusion.
c/o sluggoaafa link

NOTE: Some recent statements claim on international flights to the USA, no inter cabin movement is allowed for passengers - not merely lavatory use, but visiting, etc. This remains unverified through official channels. - JDiver

Archived previous thread link
Print Wikipost

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
I was on AA274 (77W MIA-LAX) the other day and before we departed the captain said something like "so that the cabin crew can more efficiently do their jobs and for the safety and security of everyone I ask that everyone use the lavatories in their class of service." I guess it was just a force of habit since the 77W crews usually just operate intl flights but I still thought it interesting.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
The entitlement in this thread, lol.

If you tried to jump the line in front of me, we'd both be making the national news. Not that I make a habit of using the F bathroom when in Y, but I can certainly see there being a situational need for doing so if the FAs are doing service in the aisle in Y.

It's public transportation, folks, and we're in this together. Try not to be miserable <redacted> to each other out of some sort misguided sense of superiority. They have as much right to use the bathroom as you do.

I've never seen it enforced on a domestic flight. I have seen it vociferously enforced on TATL
Last flight I was on in F, ORD-PHX, I saw it enforced. I couldn't hear what justification the FA was using to do so, but I saw several people come up out of Y, the FA would intercept, and they'd turn right back around. Needless to say, that FA was fantastic.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 9, 2016 at 1:07 pm Reason: Rules, please
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Pretty soon we will have to scan the boarding pass in order to use the lavatories.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Once, I had a guy behind the curtain tell me "hey buddy, the line's back here". I smiled and used the lav.
"Why yes... it is! ^"
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sounds like OP isn't in F much if ever, other than passing thru when boarding and going to the lav.

OP here - I don't understand how you jumped to this conclusion. I am almost always in F and nothing in my post would indicate otherwise.

On LAA flights, my experience has been that, outside of when the cabin attendants have carts in the aisle, the Y traffic for F lavs has been minimal.

On LUS flights, (like last night) the F lav seemed in constant use by Y pax. Afterwards, my wife observed that maybe 3-4 times F pax used it but the constant stream from Y had it continuously in use.

To be clear and for those who seem to want to make it a class issue, I have no problem with Y pax accessing the F lav. The reason for my original post was that it creates logistics challenges for an F passenger. Do we have to be aware of a queue that has formed in the Y aisle for the lav? Do we have to get up and queue in that line? Do we have any priority for accessing the lav? If AA is going to have the F lav open to Y pax, it would be useful for them to think through those issues and suggest the appropriate method. Otherwise, it's a scrum and, IMO, a confrontation waiting to happen.

I have sent an e-mail to some people in Customer Relations about this and will post any response I get.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JMN57
OP here - I don't understand how you jumped to this conclusion.
Sorry for the confusion but you were not the OP to whom I was referring. See posts #21-22.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by JMN57
I have sent an e-mail to some people in Customer Relations about this and will post any response I get.
My money's on an auto-response explaining that passengers on domestic flights may use any lavatory.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
My money's on an auto-response explaining that passengers on domestic flights may use any lavatory.
Ha, my money's on an auto reply that has no relation whatsoever to the OP email.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
The entitlement in this thread, lol.

If you tried to jump the line in front of me, we'd both be making the national news. Not that I make a habit of using the F bathroom when in Y, but I can certainly see there being a situational need for doing so if the FAs are doing service in the aisle in Y.

It's public transportation, folks, and we're in this together. Try not to be miserable <redacted> to each other out of some sort misguided sense of superiority. They have as much right to use the bathroom as you do.

Last flight I was on in F, ORD-PHX, I saw it enforced. I couldn't hear what justification the FA was using to do so, but I saw several people come up out of Y, the FA would intercept, and they'd turn right back around. Needless to say, that FA was fantastic.
then i guess we would be on the 6pm news because i always use the lav in my ticketed cabin unless the cart is in the way when I am in Y. I see the improved ratio in F as one of the benefits of that class of service and always make the trek back to the Y lavs even f I am near the front in Y.
While in my F seat though, I am not checking for a line in the back before using the front facilities.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Sorry for the confusion but you were not the OP to whom I was referring. See posts #21-22.
Ah, got it.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

That may happen but I routed it to a specific person in Customer Relations who had called me a while back about a specific (other) issue. She was very responsive to the questions I had posed and had said that if I had any other questions, etc to feel free to contact her.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
If you tried to jump the line in front of me, we'd both be making the national news.
You're going to get in a fist fight over someone in F trying to use the bathroom potentially ahead of you?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
You're going to get in a fist fight over someone in F trying to use the bathroom potentially ahead of you?
LOL. That does indeed seem to be what he is implying.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Doesn't make sense to walk to the back of the plane if you are in the first few rows of Y. I;ll walk forward every time.
If I am in Y no matter where I'm seated, I will use the Y lavs unless the aisle is blocked by a serving cart. In that case I have no compunction about using the F lav if it's urgent, but otherwise, you're being lazy, and so are all the others who do this if there's unfettered access to the cheap potties.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Please read the wikipost for actual AA policy on this matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.