Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Cabin Class and Lavatory Use Policy
On Flight operating domestically and on flights departing from the U.S., customers may use the lavatory in any cabin.

On International flights returning to the U.S. from non-U.S. locations, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires airlines to direct customers to use lavatories in their ticketed class of service. This directive applies to the use of lavatories only and is not meant to restrict the movement of passengers between cabins for other reasons (families/coworkers).

Hope this clarifies any confusion.
c/o sluggoaafa link

NOTE: Some recent statements claim on international flights to the USA, no inter cabin movement is allowed for passengers - not merely lavatory use, but visiting, etc. This remains unverified through official channels. - JDiver

Archived previous thread link
Print Wikipost

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rjw242
Yes, but this is definitely the first I've heard of a FA requiring an F pax to "yield" to a bunch of Y passengers waiting for the F lav. What I've seen is the opposite, when this situation arises.
It's definitely NOT the first time I've heard of an AA employee adding their own rules on top of AA policy.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA has no policy prohibiting Y pax from using the F lav. The only rules, and they are DHS rules, prohibit passengers from congregating around the forward galley and, on international flights to the US, of movement between cabins.

Thus, on domestic flights, Y pax free to use the F lav, but can't wait at the forward galley (practically speaking, means waiting at the front of Y). On international flights, means no movement between cabins, not just for lav use.

As there is no policy prohibiting Y use of F lav, it's certainly fine for the FA's to manage the waiting line in some reasonable manner.

Bear in mind that the only reason that other carriers prohibit Y use of the F lav on domestic flights is under the safety & security policy, so the "exclusivity" thing doesn't play a role anywhere.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
I've had just the opposite happen where the FA asked the Y pax to wait because I wanted to use the lav.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by tucsnaz
I've had just the opposite happen where the FA asked the Y pax to wait because I wanted to use the lav.
I've had it both ways, usually I need to appeal to the FA when a Y pax complains about me jumping the line and I acquiesce to waiting for one more person to go before I cut. Also, asking the FA why the Y pax aren't using the lav in the back does the trick too. Makes me a bit of a jerk I guess, but I also don't get up to use the bathroom when it's clear others are waiting until it's *really* time for me to go.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Coathanger
They certainly make an announcement to ask that passengers use the lavatory in their ticketed cabin, but did not find this enforced across my three AS flights in December (IAD-SEA, FAI-ANC-SCC-BRW, BRW-FAI-SEA).
Same experience here. On one RDU-SEA, not only was the aisle curtain left wrapped up, the side wing "bulkhead" curtains were pulled back on both sides. Steady stream of Y pax into the F cabin lav.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Doesn't make sense to walk to the back of the plane if you are in the first few rows of Y. I;ll walk forward every time.
So long as when you're in F you don't get annoyed at Y pax utilizing the F lav.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
So long as when you're in F you don't get annoyed at Y pax utilizing the F lav.
Sounds like OP isn't in F much if ever, other than passing thru when boarding and going to the lav.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by tucsnaz
I've had this too, but never told to go back to Y and get in line. It doesn't really occur to me to look behind the curtain and see if there is a line, so when the lav is free, I get up and use it (even if there's a line back there somewhere). Once, I had a guy behind the curtain tell me "hey buddy, the line's back here". I smiled and used the lav. I guess that makes me a jerk, which I'm fine with.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sounds like OP isn't in F much if ever, other than passing thru when boarding and going to the lav.
^
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
From my experience, they usually make the "Use the lavs in your assigned cabin" speech on the DFW-HNL/OGG-DFW 763 flights and keep the curtains closed. I have observed them directing Y pax back to their cabin on these flights, if they venture forward.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
F passengers should have priority for the F lav. If the rule is that F passengers need to line up in coach, then that rule needs to go.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
The policy is to use the lav of your respective cabin.8 believe Y shouldn't even be allowed to use F lav, though given the proximity they often are. The lav in the back may have been broken, but if not send a message to AA with flight details.
I think that the reason there is no rule on Y pax using the F lavs on domestic flights is due to practical issues. Most domestic flights are on single aisle aircraft where there is a lav up front (F) and 1 or 2 lavs in the back. However, when the Y crew is in the middle of providing F&B service, the cart effectively blocks the aisle to the back lavs for those in front of them.. On most Int'l flights, the planes are wide bodies, with 2 aisles, and lavs up front, in the middle and in the back. This allows for easier access to lavs in Y even when service is taking place.

Originally Posted by SFO777
AA has no such policy on domestic flights. You'll get the occasional FA that turns Y pax away, but most don't care... just like their employer.
As noted above, I think it has less to do with not caring, but being practical..

Originally Posted by davesam12
From my experience, they usually make the "Use the lavs in your assigned cabin" speech on the DFW-HNL/OGG-DFW 763 flights and keep the curtains closed. I have observed them directing Y pax back to their cabin on these flights, if they venture forward.
Could be due to what I mentioned above. Lavs abound..
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
Yes, but this is definitely the first I've heard of a FA requiring an F pax to "yield" to a bunch of Y passengers waiting for the F lav. What I've seen is the opposite, when this situation arises.
yeah thats total BS. And FWIW I would have told the FA as much and used the lav. I've had it happen where the Y pax tried this before, telling me "there's a line" to which I replied "I see that and this is the First Class bathroom, I'm not waiting - you can use the bathroom in your cabin".
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: Unloyal, disloyal
Class warfare is played out on AA domestic flights

I've never seen it enforced on a domestic flight. I have seen it vociferously enforced on TATL.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
We have added a wikipost to this thread and mildly retitled the thread, so it can serve the purpose of cabin and lav use. The policy is explained by AA Flight Attendant sluggoaafa in the copied post in the wikipost at the top of the page.

/Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.