Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Cabin Class and Lavatory Use Policy
On Flight operating domestically and on flights departing from the U.S., customers may use the lavatory in any cabin.

On International flights returning to the U.S. from non-U.S. locations, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires airlines to direct customers to use lavatories in their ticketed class of service. This directive applies to the use of lavatories only and is not meant to restrict the movement of passengers between cabins for other reasons (families/coworkers).

Hope this clarifies any confusion.
c/o sluggoaafa link

NOTE: Some recent statements claim on international flights to the USA, no inter cabin movement is allowed for passengers - not merely lavatory use, but visiting, etc. This remains unverified through official channels. - JDiver

Archived previous thread link
Print Wikipost

AA cabin class and lavatory use policy (consolidated)

Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I donít know of any Asian carrier that allows economy customers to use a premium cabin lavatory, itís just not done there.
I haven't seem people allowed to use other cabin toilets, but with toilets at places other than the back, queuing occurs wherever the usable toilets are. Being near the front of the economy cabin doesn't provide some sort of oasis where queues are not permitted
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 11:21 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I haven't seem people allowed to use other cabin toilets, but with toilets at places other than the back, queuing occurs wherever the usable toilets are. Being near the front of the economy cabin doesn't provide some sort of oasis where queues are not permitted
That's normal - but the issue at hand is AA's foolish policy of allowing economy passengers to enter the First Class cabin and use the First Class lavatory regardless of where people are lining up. Economy customers should not be allowed forward unless boarding or deplaning.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:05 pm

That's normal - but the issue at hand is AA's foolish policy of allowing economy passengers to enter the First Class cabin and use the First Class lavatory regardless of where people are lining up. Economy customers should not be allowed forward unless boarding or deplaning.
However - that is not AA's policy on the issue. If it was the policy, then there wouldn't be any queuing.

Given that AA does permit the use of the toilets on domestic services at least, then it is the logical place for people to queue - same as if the toilets were actually situated between the business and economy cabins
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
The AA policy seems to alight with AS, they just word it different on the PA's.

On AA they say something to the effect of no congregating in the area in front of the cockpit door. Which, to me means, nobody should line up for the front lav. The F pax should wait in their seats and the Y pax should wait just behind F.
On AS they say something to the effect of Y pax may use the F lav if the aisle is blocked aft. They do specifically say that you must queue up aft of the F cabin if waiting to use the F lav.

I think this all has to do with cockpit security (plus perhaps potential impeding of F service); however, they realize there are circumstances where Y pax have no access to the rear lavs, so they permit pax to use the front lav, with certain restrictions.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 6:20 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
On a domestic flight I may use the first lav but Iíll time it as soon as itís vacant. I wouldnít cue no more than being the only one standing in the galley.

On intíl flights or domestic wide bodies Iíll stay in the main cabin.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 6:22 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
I would not cue in the first cabin if there was another person ahead of me meaning I would have to stand in the aisle of row 1.
Old May 3, 2024, 8:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Last night AUS/MIA the FAs had the carts blocking F lav as a pilot was using it and a woman came up from Y and was told to use the Y lav. She didn't want to hear it. The male FA made it made in certain terms she needed to leave the F cabin now.
apeortdz likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.