Changing or Undoing Upgrade Instruments

Old Feb 8, 16, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec., SPG Gold, AmEx Plat
Changing or Undoing Upgrade Instruments

Hi all,
Is it possible to convert mile + co-pay upgrades that have already cleared to SWUs instead?

I ask because I have a R/T to HKG coming up this week, and cleared both the outbound and return upgrades over the last several days. When I initially called to waitlist the upgrades several months ago, I asked to use my last remaining SWU for the outbound and a mile + co-pay for the return. Unfortunately, it appears that the agent requested mile + co-pay upgrades both ways instead, leaving me 25,000 miles and $350 poorer in the process.

I requalified for EXP late last year, and now have enough SWUs in my account to cover both ways, so wondered if there is some way to convert both upgrades over.

Apologies if this has been covered before - I tried running a search to no avail. Appreciate any responses!
Old Feb 8, 16, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by LondonIce View Post
Hi all,
Is it possible to convert mile + co-pay upgrades that have already cleared to SWUs instead?

I ask because I have a R/T to HKG coming up this week, and cleared both the outbound and return upgrades over the last several days. When I initially called to waitlist the upgrades several months ago, I asked to use my last remaining SWU for the outbound and a mile + co-pay for the return. Unfortunately, it appears that the agent requested mile + co-pay upgrades both ways instead, leaving me 25,000 miles and $350 poorer in the process.

I requalified for EXP late last year, and now have enough SWUs in my account to cover both ways, so wondered if there is some way to convert both upgrades over.

Apologies if this has been covered before - I tried running a search to no avail. Appreciate any responses!
You can always try - ESPECIALLY on the one you say the agent screwed-up. BUT, the co-pay is specifically listed as non-refundable, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old Feb 9, 16, 4:23 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Undoing a systemwide upgrade?

Can I undo do an upgrade, if it was confirmed?
Old Feb 9, 16, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You'll have trouble if it was a very full flight and your lower class seat has been given away to someone else.
Old Feb 9, 16, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
Just call AA. Sometimes it takes a while for the SWU to show up in your account. As suggested above, your seat selection in coach will be limited to what's available now; you don't get your old seat back.
Old Feb 9, 16, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
Just call AA. Sometimes it takes a while for the SWU to show up in your account. As suggested above, your seat selection in coach will be limited to what's available now; you don't get your old seat back.
That's not what flatlander was referring to. Rather that if you had an N fare and upgraded to business, you can't downgrade back if N is no longer available.
Old Feb 9, 16, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
I've been lucky un-doing a SWU which had cleared on a transcon just before boarding the flight and then having a comp clear - it did take about 4 weeks for the SWU to be re-deposited in my account though.

I don't think the original fare code mattered. An AC member got ahold of revenue and made the magic happen.

Cheers.

Last edited by msv777; Feb 10, 16 at 10:15 am Reason: typo

Search this Thread
Search Engine: