why offer BOB fresh meals?

Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
why offer BOB fresh meals?

Flying phx-EWR today in 6F, third row of coach. By the time she got to my row all fresh choices were gone just the snacks left.

Yes I realize AA (or any other airline for that matter) can't stock 150 sandwiches but out by the third row? Really?? There are 150 people behind me. False advertising. They should state that if you are 3 rows or further from the front of coach you will get nothing and like it.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Clearly the solution is to implement surge pricing. I'm sure someone on the plane's desperate enough to pay $27 for the last sandwich
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Sounds like a clear miscater to me. When I find myself stuck in coach, I usually book the exit rows and have never (not to jinx it) had a problem getting a fresh meal.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
If they sell out after the first rows, then I guess the reason why they offer BOB meals is because they can sell them all.

But they could have also had a number of EXPs and CKs in Y whose BOBs were given out beforehand, or set aside.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Sounds like a clear miscater to me. When I find myself stuck in coach, I usually book the exit rows and have never (not to jinx it) had a problem getting a fresh meal.
I heard the flight attendant say to an annoyed passenger "they only catered 6 turkey egg sandwiches. We keep telling them to stock more but no one listens"

FWIW I'm new to AA traveling as a gold during the plat challenge phase. As a 1K at United this also happened frequently (most 1K's don't get upgraded so I was in Y 90% of the time) but usually had the bulkhead so I was able to get my first choice.

I'm not complaining per se because I figured this would happen on AA as well so ate at phx.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA
You can preorder them. I've done so on a couple flights when I knew I wasn't going to have time to get something to eat before.

Off topic, but wish they would enhance the quality and offer better BOB meals like Alaska or United.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bridge29
You can preorder them. I've done so on a couple flights when I knew I wasn't going to have time to get something to eat before.
What is that process?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
What is that process?
+1. I didn't know this was possible!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
In late 2012, American did preorder for BOB sandwiches online, on a experimental basis. I think I preordered on a DFW-LAX flight then. Haven't seen it since.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by bridge29

Off topic, but wish they would enhance the quality and offer better BOB meals like Alaska or United.
How?? I know of no way. Flying MIA/DFW a couple weeks ago seated in exit row 25A the time the cart got to me only Pringles were left.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
+1. I didn't know this was possible!
I don't believe it is. But United recently announced that they would be rolling out the option. Would be nice for AA to do the same.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
I don't believe it is. But United recently announced that they would be rolling out the option. Would be nice for AA to do the same.
It would, though given their performance with F pre-orders, I'd give AA about a 25% of implementing it correctly.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Sounds like a clear miscater to me.
Sounds more to me like a couple rows of EXPs going from the West Coast to NYC whose upgrades didn't clear and who availed themselves of the free menu item. It wouldn't surprise me if this were very common on elite-heavy routes, especially long ones like the one OP was on.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Sounds more to me like a couple rows of EXPs going from the West Coast to NYC whose upgrades didn't clear and who availed themselves of the free menu item. It wouldn't surprise me if this were very common on elite-heavy routes, especially long ones like the one OP was on.
No excuse. AA provides the EXP benefit, and should cater flights accordingly. It's not fair to the 100+ passengers behind the first 2-3 rows stacked with EXPs who didn't get an upgrade on long flights to only end up with chips and trail mix as a meal option, even when they've got their credit card out ready to buy a fresh item.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by akcae
No excuse. AA provides the EXP benefit, and should cater flights accordingly. It's not fair to the 100+ passengers behind the first 2-3 rows stacked with EXPs who didn't get an upgrade on long flights to only end up with chips and trail mix as a meal option, even when they've got their credit card out ready to buy a fresh item.
This is why a catering error makes more sense. I doubt AA was thinking, "let's cater a handful of meals to give away free to the first few EXPs, and forego several hundred dollars of revenue further back."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.