Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Question re: EXP Status Qualification for Flying Using Amex MR Points

Old Feb 7, 16, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat

I have enough Amex MR points to cover a Business/First trip from Colombia to the USA. Doing so will save me a big expense on one of this year's trips, but I'm not sure about EQM earnings.

If these tickets earn the same as a paid ticket, then I want to use those points for my next booking. Amex claims that the tickets earn miles, but doesn't specify that they will qualify for elite status. There was a huge uproar last year or the year before with UA flyers booking through Amex Travel when they discovered that those tickets were counted as "bulk" fares and didn't count toward status. Those were actually paid tickets purchased through that agency.

If the tickets don't count toward status, then I will either wait until I achieve status renewal or find another use for the points. Any feedback shared here from someone having experience with these tickets will be greatly appreciated. It's probably somewhere on one of their sites, but I sure can't find it. The question stumped the last agent I spoke to.
Old Feb 7, 16, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, 1MM; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
My data point is a couple years old now, but as of early 2014 I earned AA EQMs for tickets purchased with Membership Rewards via the Amex online booking site.
Old Feb 7, 16, 3:49 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I've used points several times. they are paid tickets, you're just using amex points to tender. in eyes of aa they were bought for cash. for CORP amex plat you get back 30 percent of points.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: