Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA to Build 5 New Gates in Concourse L at ORD [by 2018]

AA to Build 5 New Gates in Concourse L at ORD [by 2018]

Old Apr 13, 16, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
It's a shame the old DL club was gutted. Although views were...well of the road, it was a nice quiet space. With AA's L expansion the space would be a nice AAdmirals club. And not sure why AS moved from the L gates either.
I can only guess it was so AA could take back gates like H6, which they have already done, and centralize their E175 fleet on the even number L gates. Would be nice to kick frontier out of L2A, though.

Also, though I don't know the logistics, AA already has turned L10 into L10 A, B, and C. They may have needed some of L8's room to accommodate that. Both L8 and L10 are former widebody capable gates.
Old Apr 13, 16, 9:58 am

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I was looking at the L gates yesterday and it almost looked like they had already added more/new gates at the end.....the jetway's color looked brighter and newer than the rest of the L gates.
Old Apr 13, 16, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Flying out of L8 always feels inauspicious to me.
Old Apr 13, 16, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
I was looking at the L gates yesterday and it almost looked like they had already added more/new gates at the end.....the jetway's color looked brighter and newer than the rest of the L gates.
Yes. They added two more gates to L10 and they were in operation when I was there last week. L10 A/B/C are all E175 gates now. As is L8.
Old Apr 13, 16, 7:38 pm

The new L10A-C gates have been under construction since Feb now. The larger L project appears to be a bit more involved, at least based on the renderings in the recent local press
Old Apr 13, 16, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chicago City Council approved the $75 million project earlier today (Apr 13):

O’Hare Airport is not only in line for another runway. It’s getting it’s first domestic gate expansion in nearly 30 years.

The City Council made certain of it Wednesday by approving American Airlines’ $75 million plan to add five new gates to the flagship carrier’s existing O’Hare Terminal 3.

New restrooms, concessions and waiting areas will accompany the terminal extension that will allow O’Hare’s second-largest carrier to increase capacity, improve on-time performance and use regional jets with seating for 75 passengers to serve the regional and Midwest markets.
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ame...-city-council/

I still don't see where there is any space to add square footage, but AA told employees when it was announced that the project involves some expansion of the terminal's footprint.
Old Apr 13, 16, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post

I still don't see where there is any space to add square footage, but AA told employees when it was announced that the project involves some expansion of the terminal's footprint.
When I look at the google map, it seems they could have an extension going east (?) from the main terminal that would abutt the road and office building nearby. With gates just on one side. Kind of what UA did with T8 at LAX along El Segundo Blvd. I just can't see how they could extend the existing L gate concourse without encroaching into the taxiway which leads to the runway on the other side of the overhead airplane bridge.
Old Apr 13, 16, 9:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
A poster on Airliners.net said the extension would be built north of L and be connected to T3 by a tunnel.
Old Apr 14, 16, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango View Post
A poster on Airliners.net said the extension would be built north of L and be connected to T3 by a tunnel.
That sounds like what I speculated. Except that it seems more east of the L concourse than north. However, I don't understand the tunnel aspect. Unless the gate area is going to be completely detatched. But it seems cheaper and easier to just build a walkway along the perimeter.
Old Apr 14, 16, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
When I look at the google map, it seems they could have an extension going east (?) from the main terminal that would abutt the road and office building nearby. With gates just on one side. Kind of what UA did with T8 at LAX along El Segundo Blvd. I just can't see how they could extend the existing L gate concourse without encroaching into the taxiway which leads to the runway on the other side of the overhead airplane bridge.
That might work if airliners had folding wings (like jet fighters), but the alley must be kept clear to permit access to the odd-numbered L gates. There is no room to the Northeast of the existing L concourse to add another finger and park airplanes. Zoom in on the Google map and you'll see what I'm talking about - the bright yellow line is the centerline of the alley. If there were another 200 feet or so of space between L and the fence separating the building and the chiller plant, then a narrow hallway with several gates might be possible. As it is, there is no room to even park an airplane perpendicular to that fence, let alone any sort of terminal.
Old Apr 14, 16, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Need a club in L now...
Old Apr 21, 16, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
Gates L6 and L8 are now walled off for construction.

The last gate is now L11 which is used by Spirit and Air Choice One.

The jetbridge at L10C is very, very long.
Old Apr 21, 16, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Are the 788 ops to DFW still operating out of L, or did that change when they reconfigured the gates to accommodate more 175s? Also, is IB moving to H/K?
Old Apr 23, 16, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool View Post
Are the 788 ops to DFW still operating out of L, or did that change when they reconfigured the gates to accommodate more 175s? Also, is IB moving to H/K?
That changed. No L gates are widebody-capable at this point AFAIK.
Old Apr 23, 16, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Just arrived into L10B today, A/B/C were all in full use with E175 ops.

To clarify, these are NOT some of the new gates, correct? The 5 new are in addition to the re-gating efforts going on? Seems like there is construction around L8 and L6 right now, perhaps AA is adding more gates there as well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: