Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rebooking due to IRROPS - how much leeway do I get?

Old Feb 5, 16, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Plat

I'm on a paid Y ticket that I upgraded with SWUs - I'm traveling to NYC->DFW->HKG, but due to the winter storm we were delayed by two hours and I won't be able to make AA137 in time to get to Hong Kong.

I'll be rebooking when I arrive in DFW, and the quickest routing seems to be DFW -> LAX/SFO -> HKG, with the second leg on CX (both arriving at 6AM HK time). However, I'm more interested in DFW -> AUH -> HKG on Etihad (arriving at 9:30AM HK time), since Etihad has wifi and CX does not (and I was banking on having wifi on the AA flight to Hong Kong).

I'm going to attempt to rebook into EY, but I'm curious if its foolish to expect whether the AAngels will allow me to do so or whether they'll simply put me on the next CX flight out of LAX or SFO.
Old Feb 5, 16, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You can ask, but 1) I believe they try and keep you within alliance as much as possible and 2) you are more likely to keep your upgrade on CX than EY
Old Feb 5, 16, 9:39 am

You could try to get rebooked DFW SYD HKG on the A380
Old Feb 5, 16, 9:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Martellus View Post
...I'm going to attempt to rebook into EY, but I'm curious if its foolish to expect whether the AAngels will allow me to do so..
I'd say that would be pretty unlikely.

Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
You can ask, but 1) I believe they try and keep you within alliance as much as possible and 2) you are more likely to keep your upgrade on CX than EY
By 1000-fold, JL as well, potentially, if that fits the bill at all. OTOH, zero chance of upgrade being honored if rebooked on EY, needless to say.
Old Feb 5, 16, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I'm on a paid Y ticket that I upgraded with SWUs - I'm traveling to NYC->DFW->HKG, but due to the winter storm we were delayed by two hours and I won't be able to make AA137 in time to get to Hong Kong.

I'll be rebooking when I arrive in DFW, and the quickest routing seems to be DFW -> LAX/SFO -> HKG, with the second leg on CX (both arriving at 6AM HK time). However, I'm more interested in DFW -> AUH -> HKG on Etihad (arriving at 9:30AM HK time), since Etihad has wifi and CX does not (and I was banking on having wifi on the AA flight to Hong Kong).

I'm going to attempt to rebook into EY, but I'm curious if its foolish to expect whether the AAngels will allow me to do so or whether they'll simply put me on the next CX flight out of LAX or SFO.
You never know - you may get an agent who appreciates that you've done the legwork to find flights to get you to your destination that'll book what you want.
Old Feb 5, 16, 10:29 am

Make sure if you do EY... Get the AA flight number. Otherwise no EQM. Sometimes if you give the AA flight number to an agent they'll push it through.
Old Feb 5, 16, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
Make sure if you do EY... Get the AA flight number. Otherwise no EQM. Sometimes if you give the AA flight number to an agent they'll push it through.
AFAIK that shouldn't matter, because of the IRROPS I'd be guaranteed the miles on my original flight.

Anyway, thanks everyone! I'm definitely not going to get my hopes up, but at the very least I'll try. Plenty of time between the connecting flights to HKG anyway, so I have a bit of a buffer
Old Feb 5, 16, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Report back, we're curious as to what you ended up with (and what potentially we can get away with ).
Old Feb 5, 16, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Double post, ignore
Old Feb 5, 16, 10:57 am
Suspended

AFAIK that shouldn't matter, because of the IRROPS I'd be guaranteed the miles on my original flight.
I'd still take/follow that advice.
Old Feb 5, 16, 11:06 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
If you can, try to get JFK-HGK on CX direct. I had the same issue, LGA-DFW-HGK, SWU cleared 25 hours in advance. The LGA-DFW was delayed but they got me on the JFK-HGK on CX and keep the upgrade.
Old Feb 5, 16, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
OP, you are estimated to arrive DFW at 11:31, the HKG outbound is delayed 15 minutes to 11:45. I expect they may be holding the HKG flight for connections. There very well may be a van meeting your inbound to take premium passengers over to the the HKG outbound (I've had this happen before at DFW, when connecting from a delayed inbound to an NRT outbound)
Old Feb 5, 16, 11:39 am
wmz

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you use SWUs, can you get confirmed into J on partners if they don't have "award" space available? I'm delayed 16+ hours on AA 973 JFK-GIG, but the agent at the Flagship Lounge won't confirm me in J on JJ 8057 MIA-GIG even though there are seats available
Old Feb 5, 16, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On that service, where they routinely make up time on the TPAC, it's easy to hold the flight for connections, esp. premium pax.

The bigger issue as AA looks at service recovery may be availability on other carriers.
Old Feb 5, 16, 11:53 am
Original Poster

An unsatisfying conclusion... AA137 DFW-HKG is currently delayed due to mechanical issues, so i'm just in line like everyone else at this time. Delay went from 11:45->12:00->12:15 so far. Too bad I couldn't put my request to the test, but at least I'll be arriving in Hong Kong around my original time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: