FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Rebooking due to IRROPS - how much leeway do I get? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1744252-rebooking-due-irrops-how-much-leeway-do-i-get.html)

Martellus Feb 5, 16 9:29 am

Rebooking due to IRROPS - how much leeway do I get?

I'm on a paid Y ticket that I upgraded with SWUs - I'm traveling to NYC->DFW->HKG, but due to the winter storm we were delayed by two hours and I won't be able to make AA137 in time to get to Hong Kong.

I'll be rebooking when I arrive in DFW, and the quickest routing seems to be DFW -> LAX/SFO -> HKG, with the second leg on CX (both arriving at 6AM HK time). However, I'm more interested in DFW -> AUH -> HKG on Etihad (arriving at 9:30AM HK time), since Etihad has wifi and CX does not (and I was banking on having wifi on the AA flight to Hong Kong).

I'm going to attempt to rebook into EY, but I'm curious if its foolish to expect whether the AAngels will allow me to do so or whether they'll simply put me on the next CX flight out of LAX or SFO.

wrp96 Feb 5, 16 9:31 am

You can ask, but 1) I believe they try and keep you within alliance as much as possible and 2) you are more likely to keep your upgrade on CX than EY

more777sneeded Feb 5, 16 9:39 am

You could try to get rebooked DFW SYD HKG on the A380 :)

JonNYC Feb 5, 16 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Martellus (Post 26137598)
...I'm going to attempt to rebook into EY, but I'm curious if its foolish to expect whether the AAngels will allow me to do so..

I'd say that would be pretty unlikely.

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 26137613)
You can ask, but 1) I believe they try and keep you within alliance as much as possible and 2) you are more likely to keep your upgrade on CX than EY

By 1000-fold, JL as well, potentially, if that fits the bill at all. OTOH, zero chance of upgrade being honored if rebooked on EY, needless to say.

weirdlyndon Feb 5, 16 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Martellus (Post 26137598)
I'm on a paid Y ticket that I upgraded with SWUs - I'm traveling to NYC->DFW->HKG, but due to the winter storm we were delayed by two hours and I won't be able to make AA137 in time to get to Hong Kong.

I'll be rebooking when I arrive in DFW, and the quickest routing seems to be DFW -> LAX/SFO -> HKG, with the second leg on CX (both arriving at 6AM HK time). However, I'm more interested in DFW -> AUH -> HKG on Etihad (arriving at 9:30AM HK time), since Etihad has wifi and CX does not (and I was banking on having wifi on the AA flight to Hong Kong).

I'm going to attempt to rebook into EY, but I'm curious if its foolish to expect whether the AAngels will allow me to do so or whether they'll simply put me on the next CX flight out of LAX or SFO.

You never know - you may get an agent who appreciates that you've done the legwork to find flights to get you to your destination that'll book what you want.

surftb15 Feb 5, 16 10:29 am

Make sure if you do EY... Get the AA flight number. Otherwise no EQM. Sometimes if you give the AA flight number to an agent they'll push it through.

Martellus Feb 5, 16 10:39 am

Originally Posted by surftb15 (Post 26137881)
Make sure if you do EY... Get the AA flight number. Otherwise no EQM. Sometimes if you give the AA flight number to an agent they'll push it through.

AFAIK that shouldn't matter, because of the IRROPS I'd be guaranteed the miles on my original flight.

Anyway, thanks everyone! I'm definitely not going to get my hopes up, but at the very least I'll try. Plenty of time between the connecting flights to HKG anyway, so I have a bit of a buffer

akcae Feb 5, 16 10:41 am

Report back, we're curious as to what you ended up with (and what potentially we can get away with :D).

Martellus Feb 5, 16 10:50 am

Double post, ignore

JonNYC Feb 5, 16 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Martellus (Post 26137928)
AFAIK that shouldn't matter, because of the IRROPS I'd be guaranteed the miles on my original flight.

I'd still take/follow that advice.

JTK Feb 5, 16 11:06 am

If you can, try to get JFK-HGK on CX direct. I had the same issue, LGA-DFW-HGK, SWU cleared 25 hours in advance. The LGA-DFW was delayed but they got me on the JFK-HGK on CX and keep the upgrade.

ty97 Feb 5, 16 11:14 am

OP, you are estimated to arrive DFW at 11:31, the HKG outbound is delayed 15 minutes to 11:45. I expect they may be holding the HKG flight for connections. There very well may be a van meeting your inbound to take premium passengers over to the the HKG outbound (I've had this happen before at DFW, when connecting from a delayed inbound to an NRT outbound)

wmz Feb 5, 16 11:39 am

If you use SWUs, can you get confirmed into J on partners if they don't have "award" space available? I'm delayed 16+ hours on AA 973 JFK-GIG, but the agent at the Flagship Lounge won't confirm me in J on JJ 8057 MIA-GIG even though there are seats available

Often1 Feb 5, 16 11:43 am

On that service, where they routinely make up time on the TPAC, it's easy to hold the flight for connections, esp. premium pax.

The bigger issue as AA looks at service recovery may be availability on other carriers.

Martellus Feb 5, 16 11:53 am

An unsatisfying conclusion... AA137 DFW-HKG is currently delayed due to mechanical issues, so i'm just in line like everyone else at this time. Delay went from 11:45->12:00->12:15 so far. Too bad I couldn't put my request to the test, but at least I'll be arriving in Hong Kong around my original time.