Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rebooking due to IRROPS - how much leeway do I get?

Rebooking due to IRROPS - how much leeway do I get?

Old Feb 5, 16, 11:56 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Posts: 387
Originally Posted by Martellus View Post
An unsatisfying conclusion... AA137 DFW-HKG is currently delayed due to mechanical issues, so i'm just in line like everyone else at this time. Delay went from 11:45->12:00->12:15 so far. Too bad I couldn't put my request to the test, but at least I'll be arriving in Hong Kong around my original time.
Not the worst possible outcome though!
skit53 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 16, 11:58 am
  #17  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,438
How is that really unsatisfying? due to the subsequent delay, you have not misconnected - seems like a good outcome
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Feb 5, 16, 11:59 am
  #18  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Plat
Posts: 174
Originally Posted by skit53 View Post
Not the worst possible outcome though!
Definitely not! And its probably the best conclusion probable, but a small part of me feels a bit let down after looking at all the other possible alternative routings on the plane.
Martellus is offline  
Old Feb 5, 16, 12:47 pm
  #19  
JTK
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Programs: AAdvantage EP
Posts: 355
Originally Posted by wmz View Post
If you use SWUs, can you get confirmed into J on partners if they don't have "award" space available? I'm delayed 16+ hours on AA 973 JFK-GIG, but the agent at the Flagship Lounge won't confirm me in J on JJ 8057 MIA-GIG even though there are seats available
If the SWU had cleared on AA 973 then they can book you in the cabin your are booked in. If you are in Y on AA 973 they cannot book you into J on non AA metal no matter how much space is available.
JTK is offline  
Old Feb 5, 16, 12:52 pm
  #20  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,734
Originally Posted by wmz View Post
If you use SWUs, can you get confirmed into J on partners if they don't have "award" space available? I'm delayed 16+ hours on AA 973 JFK-GIG, but the agent at the Flagship Lounge won't confirm me in J on JJ 8057 MIA-GIG even though there are seats available
With JJ I'd expect it to be very, very difficult. While it's true that there's a policy to _try_ and accommodate upgraded, ticketed AA pax on OneWorld partners, over time its become evident (even if not entirely clear) that it's much easier (for sure) and much more likely on JBV/ATI partners as opposed to other OneWorld airlines.
JonNYC is offline  
Old Feb 5, 16, 12:53 pm
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI
Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 15,127
Originally Posted by Martellus View Post
Definitely not! And its probably the best conclusion probable, but a small part of me feels a bit let down after looking at all the other possible alternative routings on the plane.
True, but you have no guarantee that they wouldn't have put you back in Y. So you get your miles, you get to your destination, and you get your upgrade.

The other alternatives were very much a crap shoot. I'm not sure what your plans were in HKG, but you won't lose much time there with just from IRROP (unless it cancels). The other alternatives could have shortened your trip.
Superguy is offline  
Old Feb 5, 16, 2:20 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Washington DC, DCA
Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Posts: 3,934
I may be wrong, but as an EXP, aren't you entitled to a hotel as part of weather-related IRROPs? If so, maybe just stay overnight in DFW at a hotel that AA puts you up in (if applicable) then start fresh tomorrow on AA metal. Would that be at all workable?
MrAndy1369 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 16, 2:39 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Madison WI
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Posts: 1,952
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
I may be wrong, but as an EXP, aren't you entitled to a hotel as part of weather-related IRROPs? If so, maybe just stay overnight in DFW at a hotel that AA puts you up in (if applicable) then start fresh tomorrow on AA metal. Would that be at all workable?
For weather? No, CoC gives NO ONE that "entitlement". That said, a couple of times they did for me, a couple of times (more recent) they did not.
Madison Guy is offline  
Old Feb 5, 16, 3:52 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Washington DC, DCA
Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Posts: 3,934
Originally Posted by Madison Guy View Post
For weather? No, CoC gives NO ONE that "entitlement". That said, a couple of times they did for me, a couple of times (more recent) they did not.
I thought that as UA offers hotels during weather to 1K's and GS, that AA also did the same for their EXP's/CK? I saw some scattered reports here about that benefit being given.
MrAndy1369 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 16, 3:57 pm
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI
Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 15,127
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
I thought that as UA offers hotels during weather to 1K's and GS, that AA also did the same for their EXP's/CK? I saw some scattered reports here about that benefit being given.
I believe US did for CP as well.
Superguy is offline  
Old Feb 5, 16, 4:04 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: AA EP, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,269
Originally Posted by Martellus View Post
AFAIK that shouldn't matter, because of the IRROPS I'd be guaranteed the miles on my original flight.



Anyway, thanks everyone! I'm definitely not going to get my hopes up, but at the very least I'll try. Plenty of time between the connecting flights to HKG anyway, so I have a bit of a buffer
If you were rebooked on AA or AA codeshare, it likely would've been into paid J which would've earned 2/3x eqm so you wouldn't want the original Y flight credit..
frudd38 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 16, 4:21 pm
  #27  
wmz
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 227
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
With JJ I'd expect it to be very, very difficult. While it's true that there's a policy to _try_ and accommodate upgraded, ticketed AA pax on OneWorld partners, over time its become evident (even if not entirely clear) that it's much easier (for sure) and much more likely on JBV/ATI partners as opposed to other OneWorld airlines.
As a data point, multiple agents in the Flagship Lounge and EXP desk were unable to rebook me on JJ business. However, I ran into another EXP who did. This was after our flight ended up getting cancelled though, so maybe it was a last resort.

As a clarification, my SWU cleared over 4 months ago, so I guess there's no official policy on this matter. If there is, then agents are just completely unaware.

Last edited by wmz; Feb 5, 16 at 4:24 pm Reason: SWU
wmz is offline  
Old Feb 5, 16, 6:01 pm
  #28  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,781
Originally Posted by JTK View Post
If the SWU had cleared on AA 973 then they can book you in the cabin your are booked in. If you are in Y on AA 973 they cannot book you into J on non AA metal no matter how much space is available.
Incorrect. AA tries to protect members upgraded on AA on alternate flights. It's much more likely they will do so on JB partners such as BA or JL. See post 20 by JonNYC. It's certainly what I've experienced, too.
JDiver is offline  
Old Feb 5, 16, 6:09 pm
  #29  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,781
Originally Posted by frudd38 View Post
If you were rebooked on AA or AA codeshare, it likely would've been into paid J which would've earned 2/3x eqm so you wouldn't want the original Y flight credit..
No.

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
I may be wrong, but as an EXP, aren't you entitled to a hotel as part of weather-related IRROPs? If so, maybe just stay overnight in DFW at a hotel that AA puts you up in (if applicable) then start fresh tomorrow on AA metal. Would that be at all workable?
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
I thought that as UA offers hotels during weather to 1K's and GS, that AA also did the same for their EXP's/CK? I saw some scattered reports here about that benefit being given.
No. Weather OSO generally does not result in courtesy hotel, though rarely it might. (It's better to book one's own and try for a distressed traveler rate, usually, and might be covered if your credit card includes travel delay protection.
JDiver is offline  
Old Feb 5, 16, 9:41 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: US
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 1,753
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
Make sure if you do EY... Get the AA flight number. Otherwise no EQM. Sometimes if you give the AA flight number to an agent they'll push it through.
Agents aren't supposed to protect using codeshare flight numbers so the odds of finding one willing to do this are slim.
ThreeJulietTango is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: