Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA J or CX J on 77W?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by greg0ire
Well this thread just scared the hell out of me. Wife and I are heading to SE Asia while kids are in camp in July. Thought we'd go LAX-HKG on CX J, HKG-NRT CX J, and NRT-LAX AA J. Should I be choosing different metal? Was going to use AA miles for the end flights and Avios for the middle. Thanks.
This thread is an exercise in "can you top this" hyperbole. The CX J hard product is fine. Better than AA J. The CX J food is fine. Better than AA J. The CX J service is fine. Better than AA J. The CX lounge experience is far better than anything AA.

Since you have a mixed metal itinerary, you'll be well-positioned to judge for yourself.

One thing to bear in mind: This is your last chance to try partner metal at a reasonable redemption rate.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Has everyone lost focus here? I mean, sure, CX isn't serving Michelin-rated food (and neither is AA), but they're not serving prison food either. This is coming from someone who also found CX's food lacking, but I didn't let that ruin my entire flying experience. The miracle of flight and all that.

With all the talk of airplane food, you'd think there was an airborne famine or something. Yeesh.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: CX DM, AA EXP
OP - IMHO, it is not worth it to backtrack to DFW just for AA J on the 77W.

There is no need to be scared of CX long-haul metal. CX long-haul J is better than CX regional J. Even with its imperfections, CX trans-pac J is one of the better products of its kind currently available.

Connecting via PVG makes no sense. Immigration/transfer is not nearly as seamless as other airports including NRT/HKG/SIN/etc. Moreover, the PVG/HKG route is notoriously delayed.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by lobo411
This thread is an exercise in "can you top this" hyperbole. The CX J hard product is fine. Better than AA J. The CX J food is fine. Better than AA J. The CX J service is fine. Better than AA J. The CX lounge experience is far better than anything AA.

Since you have a mixed metal itinerary, you'll be well-positioned to judge for yourself.

One thing to bear in mind: This is your last chance to try partner metal at a reasonable redemption rate.
the lounge situation is identical... and i'm positive most people can't tell the difference between the AA vs CX 77W seats, since they're literally the exact same seats with very slightly different finishes - basically the color.

Both the AA/CX food is fine, I think cathay has an asian choice if you're looking for that, I haven't yet flown the DFW-HKG route yet, but Im sure AA has some sort of asian dish as well. Both AA and CX will burn/over cook the crap out of your steak though. Oh, also, CX has milk tea, AA has espresso/lattes, AA wins for me on the lattes .

That said, I wouldn't backtrack for any of them since they are so similar, take whichever route/time works best for you. Since this is an AAward, i would keep it on CX and wishfor a F award to open up

Last edited by bbmatt; Feb 3, 2016 at 12:15 am
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is an exercise in "can you top this" hyperbole. The CX J hard product is fine. Better than AA J.
No, factually, AA has wifi and air vents. The seats are substantially similar. CX is not Better than AA J on this measure.
The CX J food is fine. Better than AA J.
Clearly an opinion, but there is definitely support for the argument it's currently better on AA. No hyperbole required.

The CX J service is fine. Better than AA J. The CX lounge experience is far better than anything AA.
I won't meaningfully disagree with you here.

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Well now that we're off topic already - I swear I've seen it posted on the CX forum here (or maybe on a.net?) that KA uses a different caterer and now has noticeably higher standards than CX. Coming to think of it, the chicken curry we had on KA HKT-HKG was far tastier than anything I've ever had on CX, even in F.
We did HKG-DPS r/t in J on KA in August, and the main courses were fair-to-dreadful. Economy class caliber.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:59 am
Suspended

Thumbs up

Agree 100%
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM

It's a good old pissing match. Which J service and food is better or worse.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hiima
Agree, but I'd still say if one threw up a poll (and maybe we should!) I bet CX long-haul J would come up on top-- easily-- over AA long-haul J.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I take the YVR-HKG flight 4-5 times per year, mostly the daytime departure. From time to time I pop down to LAX for TransPacs, and each time I do I cringe at the extra time and hassle involved. Even in business class time matters, the reality is that the YVR flight is hours shorter, forget about the time you waste on the connecting flight. YVR-HKG without headwinds can run under 12 hours, which is kind of my breaking point for an "easy" flight.
As for the food, I can only laugh. I think the food AA, CX and most others serve in J is pretty crappy (I've had a personal chef on EY once that was more to my liking).
Stick with the direct YVR-HKG CX flight.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by hiima
Exactly. Certain people seem to think that their single opinion is statistically significant.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Agree, but I'd still say if one threw up a poll (and maybe we should!) I bet CX long-haul J would come up on top-- easily-- over AA long-haul J.
I think few would disagree that CX J is better than AA J (I wouldn't). But the topic of this thread is CX J vs AA J on the 77W, and in particular to HKG. I think there is a case to be made for AA J in this instance, although I would agree that I wouldn't backtrack from YVR, unless I was looking for more miles.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I think few would disagree that CX J is better than AA J (I wouldn't). But the topic of this thread is CX J vs AA J on the 77W, and in particular to HKG. I think there is a case to be made for AA J in this instance, although I would agree that I wouldn't backtrack from YVR, unless I was looking for more miles.
I still say CX wins that if put up as a poll by a wide margin.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's hard to isolate the product from the route.

If I needed to fly LAX-HKG and there were an AA 77W and a CX 77W flight, I'd take AA for the wifi and air nozzle. Airplane food is nothing more than reheated leftovers (even in First Class).

In this instance, a YVR-HKG or a YVR-DFW-HKG, the choice is clear: save 8-9 hours and just go YVR-HKG.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I still say CX wins that if put up as a poll by a wide margin.
Would be curious what would happen if you actually posted this on the CX forum. I'm guessing you'd be surprised at the results.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Airplane food is nothing more than reheated leftovers (even in First Class).
I wish my reheated leftovers at home were like CX F catering, and plated as nicely too. (Though maybe not, since then I'd end up eating enough caviar and lobster to give me gout.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.