Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA276 SFO-JFK in J - no service during the flight at all?

Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood, AA

I flew on AA 276 SFO-JFK in J, leaving SFO at 9:30p. In the ticket, it stated as "Snack/Brunch" for meal service.
We had predeparture drinks served (but no nuts, just drinks). As soon as we took off, lights were turned off and FAs didn't set foot in the cabin the whole flight. I got up and got some water from the galley but there was not a bite of food on offer. Prior to landing, I asked if there was any breakfast service and was offered a single banana and a drinkable yogurt drink. that's it the whole flight.
I don't fly AA transcon often (usual either short-hop domestic or intl). Is this typical? I've never been on any J flight of any length over 3 hrs with no service at all.
I understand it was a red-eye flight, but when you take red-eye to Europe (same duration), you are offered dinner and breakfast.
Who does trancon redeye service better? JFK is really better to fly into for me that EWR (United), but that would consider me to switch.
On the other hand, the lie-flat seat was comfortable and tv screen is nice and big, so not all is terrible. I was just shocked at Y-level service!
Am I off-base or is this the new normal?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
There should have been a meal. Possibly a catering issue but FAs should have told F paxs and at least offered Y BOB. Sounds like a bunch of very lazy FAs.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Definitely should not be the case.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Should have been a light food offering after take off though most people do want to sleep given the duration of the flight. Or you should have gotten a breakfast box prior to landing. Plus there should have been a set up of snack items in the forward galley between F and J.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:12 pm

....ing .... man. You should have gotten either a slider fish, Meatloaf, or cheese plate.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
In these cases, I have used Twitter to contact AA, let them know my concern and explore how they can make me feel better about it.

I think it's really annoying on redeyes when the FAs are nowhere to be found.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
For a random date in February, the pre-order meal options are:

Choose Your Entre for this Flight

Snack

Fruit and Cheese Plate
Fresh mozzarella, cheddar and jalapepeno Pepper Jack cheese accompanied by juicy grapes, cherry tomatoes and dried fruit

Pan Seared Crab Cakes
With jicama slaw and tomatillo poblano cream sauce

Chicken Sliders
With sriracha aïoli

Choose Later
I will make my selection at a later time or during the flight

Seems like a lazy crew. Even if the catering was not loaded, they should have said something and offered Y BOB if it was available.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 2, 2016 at 9:22 am Reason: Accent bug
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
I think it's really annoying on redeyes when the FAs are nowhere to be found.
Isn't it just so convenient though? Wouldn't want to bother the passengers, now would we? I swear every flight I go on, it's: we will be turning off the cabin lights so you can sleep, we will not be doing service so you can sleep, we will be disappearing and ignoring the call button so you can sleep. It's as if sleeping is the pinnacle of human existence, when in actuality the difference between 3.5 and 4 hours of painfully contorting myself isn't going to make a whit of difference. If an alien came to earth and got on a flight, he'd come away thinking humans would die if they went more than an hour without sleeping. Of course the irony being that I couldn't possibly sleep a wink on your loud, cramped plane and would just really like something to eat please.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
This would be a great job if it weren't for the customers...and the work.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Definitely a bad/lazy crew mailing it in. Report the service and lack of it to CS.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Isn't it just so convenient though? Wouldn't want to bother the passengers, now would we? I swear every flight I go on, it's: we will be turning off the cabin lights so you can sleep, we will not be doing service so you can sleep, we will be disappearing and ignoring the call button so you can sleep. It's as if sleeping is the pinnacle of human existence, when in actuality the difference between 3.5 and 4 hours of painfully contorting myself isn't going to make a whit of difference. If an alien came to earth and got on a flight, he'd come away thinking humans would die if they went more than an hour without sleeping. Of course the irony being that I couldn't possibly sleep a wink on your loud, cramped plane and would just really like something to eat please.
I noticed this too on my LAX-JFK 445pm flight last week. The pilot kept mentioning sleep in his announcements which was kind of weird to me. No one was sleeping in coach.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Feb 1, 2016 at 1:56 pm
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Wow. That is one lazy crew. They could have at least come through the cabin with coffee and OJ prior to landing. Or was that not also catered?

I wonder if the F cabin got the same (lack of) service.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:53 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
maybe the nasty crew ate your meals.....
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Why not ring the call button and ask for your food?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Why not ring the call button and ask for your food?
It sounds like if the crew is this lazy they may not respond to the call bell,either, but I would have done that first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.