Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Award changes after 21 March 2016 - which incur redeposit, which not

Award prices in miles are changing effective 22 Mar 2016. Many members have been asking which changes can be made on pre-existing awards on or after 22 Mar 2016 without requiring miles redeposit and issuance of new awards at the new prices - and we finally have some answers as given by the AA spokesperson through a timely article by Gary Leff and a char set c/o Smiley90 from here

Mile changes in absolute numbers (k)

Mile changes in percentage

First award change chart as of 22 Mar c/o Gary Leff

NOTE: 22 March 2026, several agents are saying what Gary Leff's quoted Ms. Nedbal stated, or parts of it, are not being honored.

According to Gary Leff (View from the Wing, Boarding Area, 31 Jan 2016), Laura Nedbal, spokesperson for AA, said:

Gary: "I sought further clarification and learned:
  • You can change date and time without repricing the award, while keeping airlines and routing constant.

• You can change routing without repricing the award, while keeping the airlines constant, with a few caveats. Basically you cannot break the fare. You cannot add a stopover. You’re going to have to stick with a legal routing for the primary carrier on the itinerary.

• You can not change Origin or Destination, even within the same region, without causing reissue at the current award rates.

• You cannot change award types, which means you can’t go from American only to flying partners. You can’t go from extra mileage award to saver award without a redeposit of miles and re-issue."
Q. Can I change Origin or Destination within the same region, as permitted normally?

This will require re-issue at the new rates.

Q. What if I change routing, but use the same origin, destination and airlines?

No problem, even changing connection cities and number of segments. Laura Nedbal: "Origin/dest stays same and since all carriers are oneworld there would be no charge to change carriers. Provided again, the same inventory/award as ticketed is available for change."

Q. What if I want to change from a oneworld airline such as QR to a non-oneworld partner such as EY, but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change the award type (AAnytime to MileSAAver, MileSAAver to reduced miles, etc.), but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change class of service and keep everything else the same?

Q. Is there a limit to the number of times I can change my pre-22 Mar award booking?

Many/most flyers have reported no issues with multiple changes for pre-22 Mar award bookings. Some AA EP agents and at least one supervisor have stated the rule is only ONE VOLUNTARY CHANGE will be allowed to keep the award at the pre-22 March level. A second or subsequent voluntary change will require conversion to the new chart and "paying" more miles.

Q. What would it cost me to redeposit an award? Two or more awards?

Redepositing an award costs $150 (plus $25 for each other award secured with miles from the same account). These redeposit fees are waived if the account is that of an Executive Platinum AAdvantage member. Link to FT thread: AA award reinstatement / miles redeposit fees, issues, questions (consolidated)

If they are separate awards on different PNRs they may require $150 each.

Q. If I purchase an award by 22 March, how far out can I change the award (within the parameters given)?

An award must be used within one year of issue.

NOTE: Region changes

• Bolivia and Manaus, Brasil: changing from South America 2 to South America 1
  • Venezuela: changing from South America 1 to South America 2
  • Guam: changing from Asia 2 to South Pacific
  • Sri Lanka: changing from Asia 2 to Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
  • Kiribati, Palau, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu: added to South Pacific region
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:11 am

I have MLE-AUH in J 6+ AUH-JFK-AUS in F

Ticket was booked in F under the old rate. EY opened up F seats for the MLE-AUH segment, but I cannot get any agent in Australia to upgrade the first segment. All want to reissue and charge the additional mileage + $175 for 2 pax.

Are they correct? Advice please
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by coltonatx
I have MLE-AUH in J 6+ AUH-JFK-AUS in F

Ticket was booked in F under the old rate. EY opened up F seats for the MLE-AUH segment, but I cannot get any agent in Australia to upgrade the first segment. All want to reissue and charge the additional mileage + $175 for 2 pax.

Are they correct? Advice please
Assuming it is both 1 award and 1 ticket, it should be doable.

Have you called the US number? Lucky (One Mile at Time) has a reader that did (virtually) exactly what you are trying to do earlier this year.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Global321
Assuming it is both 1 award and 1 ticket, it should be doable.

Have you called the US number? Lucky (One Mile at Time) has a reader that did (virtually) exactly what you are trying to do earlier this year.
The US center only sees Y ticket.

I find this so bizarre. I did a HUCA to New Zealand instead of Australia, where I called first, and before I could even finish my sentence, the new agent said the only allowable changes are to dates, and I would have to change pay the entire award and had been confirmed by supervisor if I wanted to upgrade.

Is it possible agents add notes to tickets? how the hell would the 2nd agent know I spoke to a supervisor the first time?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 11:36 am

Third time's the charm!

The third agent I talked to was quite knowledgeable, after hearing my request she immediately said that it would take some time to process as certain "waivers" needed to be put into the system for an even exchange.

To recap, I was able to do an even exchange for a US-Asia award in J from CX to JL, though I had to call AA 3 times to have it done.

Originally Posted by Kaitlin
Same here. I am changing JFK-HKG-PVG (CX) to JFK-NRT-PVG (JL). Two agents I talked to insisted on higher 70000 miles instead of even exchange.

Back in September I changed a similar ticket from CX to JL without any problem. Guess I'll just have to HUCA and see what happens.
Originally Posted by transparent
Also receiving quite a bit of resistance for a date change that adds a connection (due to what's available) and should not be re-priced.

Previously did not have any problems upgrading a J to F where F was on a short segment and J on a long segment, or changing dates for simple direct or one-stop routings keeping all airlines/connection points the same. Only issue was with new HKG taxes.

Currently on third agent, and an hour on the phone so far and counting.

Trying to make change from JFK-HKG-TPE (CX) to JFK-NRT-HKG-TPE (JL-JL-CX, overnight in HKG since it arrives too late to connect onward same day).

Three rate agents insisted on new mileage price, citing various reasons: changing partners, adding connection city, long connection in HKG. Tried to say to me that awards changed rules earlier so you have to pay more.

Looks like after some polite push back, third agent is making it happen.

I don't think it's just uninformed agents if the rates desk is insisting-- could it be something similar to airlines trying to avoid EC261 payouts where they try to charge more and hope most people accept?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by coltonatx
The US center only sees Y ticket.

I find this so bizarre. I did a HUCA to New Zealand instead of Australia, where I called first, and before I could even finish my sentence, the new agent said the only allowable changes are to dates, and I would have to change pay the entire award and had been confirmed by supervisor if I wanted to upgrade.

Is it possible agents add notes to tickets? how the hell would the 2nd agent know I spoke to a supervisor the first time?
Yes, they can add notes to tickets. (But the notes are not necessarily accurate.) Maybe you can confirm with the USA number you can do what you are trying to do... and have them add THAT note to the reservation. That way when you call Australia, YOU can say "check the notes"!

Another thing to try (if possible), have Australia 'hold it' and then call the US to price it/ ticket it at the old rate. I personally have not had to do this, but I have read others do it with success.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Global321
I am assuming you did that so that later when JFK-HKG opens up, you can move to First. (It almost always does.) Unfortunately, based on my experiences with these tickets and following this thread closely, I don't think they will proactively let you rebook at the old mileage rate.

FWIW -
  1. I would wait and plan on JFK-HKG opening up in First, or
  2. I would look at JFK-BOS-HKG in First, or
  3. I would fly it as is and ask for the miles back after.
I'll go for #3. I'm actually flying dca-jfk-hkg and would like to minimize stops. Another thing was the flight load is down to F2 and it's over the Chinese new year so I was being cautiously pessimistic.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Last march, I booked LAX-HKG. Today was able to add SJC-LAX-HKG-BKK without a reprice. Reading the FAQ, seems it's not supposed to be possible?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by frebay
Last march, I booked LAX-HKG. Today was able to add SJC-LAX-HKG-BKK without a reprice. Reading the FAQ, seems it's not supposed to be possible?
100% not supposed to be allowed, but good for you.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Nope.

You seem have a lot of exceptional luck in this department though!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post27637652
Just a heads up. I booked LAX-HKG pre-deval today for 55k points. I called and added LAX-HKG-BKK for the same amount of points. Only had to pay taxes! Wondering if I can do an upgrade to first for 67.5.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT AC Alititude 50K Alaska MVP 75K Hilton Diamond
AAdvantage drives me nuts

I made two individual reservations prior to “mAAsscare” earlier this year in hope First class award seats on CX will be released before my departure dates which are in Jan 2017 and Feb 2017. Strangely CX F awards seem to dry out even the award seats are more expensive now.

#1 JFK-HKG-MNL (all CX): HKG-MNL was booked as F, was downgraded to J but back to F again, JFK-HKG is still J. AA reissued my ticket two times after schedule/equipment changed. Is it common operation?

#2 BKK-HKG-JFK (all CX): BKK-HKG was booked as F but was downgraded to J , HKG-JFK is still J

I spent two hours with them yesterday ( U.S call centers) and got inconsistent answers from my understandings which drove me nuts.

My questions to AA and their answers:

Q1: Will I get refund 12.5K in miles if I ended of flying J award ticket?
No, we can’t go back dates and need to apply current price. And because you would have to pay 70K for J award now. You only paid 62.5K for F class back then. Why would we refund the difference? ( Some people told me I should be entitled to 12.5K of AAdvantage miles? Any one successfully to get it back?)

Q2: Do I need to pay extra miles F awards open up and I keep original routing and carrier?
Yes, you need to pay additional 42.5K . It was 67.5K but now it is 110K. ( seriously?)

Q3: Can I change routing TPE-HKG-JFK on CX to TPE-NRT-JFK on JL given departure city and destination remains seam and the whole itinerary still is partner award?
No. you can’t . It will cause reprice. You will also have to pay $150 reinstatement fee on top of higher price.

Q4: May I change routing TPE-HKG-JFK on CX to TPE-HKG-ORD-JFK on CX+AA?
No, you can’t. It will cause reprice. You also have to pay $150 reinstatement fee on top of higher price.

Q5: what can you offer in this situation?
We can reissue your ticket on J without charging you extra miles. ( I won’t accept this of course)
Or
We can cancel your ticket and redeposit your miles back without $150 ( But does this how their computer work?)
Is there any better way to reach them to sort this out?
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:27 am
Suspended

If you look in <this> thread, I -think- you'll see example of people being allowed to do a few of the things that you were told you cannot.

The standout exception there is the downgrade of the only segment on an award that was booked into first based on that segment-- I believe that that's "correct" procedure (to downgrade the entire award to a J award at that point.)

Here's that thread:
<removed circular link post merge>

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 22, 2016 at 8:43 am
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TransAsia
#1 JFK-HKG-MNL (all CX): HKG-MNL was booked as F, was downgraded to J but back to F again, JFK-HKG is still J. AA reissued my ticket two times after schedule/equipment changed. Is it common operation?
Not sure how CX schedule & aircraft (presumably - as the F to J changes could be due to going to an aircraft the doesn't have F) changes can be considered a shortcoming of AAdvantage.

Would you rather AA didn't fix the ticket after a CX schedule change, and you show up at the airport day of departure with a broken ticket?
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bse118
Not sure how CX schedule & aircraft (presumably - as the F to J changes could be due to going to an aircraft the doesn't have F) changes can be considered a shortcoming of AAdvantage.
I'd respectfully disagree there when the complaint is viewed within it's context.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EX PLAT AC Alititude 50K Alaska MVP 75K Hilton Diamond
Q2: Do I need to pay extra miles F awards open up and I keep original routing and carrier?
Yes, you need to pay additional 42.5K . It was 67.5K but now it is 110K. ( seriously?)
I answered myself for future reference. I found CX F award seat on JFK-HKG and called AAdvantage immediately. The agent found the F seat and made the change. within 2 minutes. Cool!
I logged into my AA account and found the itinerary is fully updated to F for both segments JFK-HKG/ HKG-MNL. So far so good to this point.
Then she said there will $22.80 surcharge. I said I paid that already. She replied she would ask help desk about it and put me hold. Waiting for about 35 minutes... she came back saying " what's happened is we will need to reissue your ticket. You paid for "Business" back then due to downgrading. Now this is First Class which will be repriced at 110K with surcharge $22.80. Do you want to pay by AAdvantage World Elite Master we have on file or other credit card?"
I almost had heart attach to hear what she said as everything went back to square one. But I peacefully ask her to check with supervisor again as it should be an even exchange. She put me on hold again for another 48 minutes. She then said " I check with several departments. This will be an even exchange. You will receive a email with your new itinerary within 2 hours"
So here you go. It is still possible to change back to F without repricing. But the whole situation is just so frustrating. For the record, I called Executive Platinum line. Aren't agents there supposed to be more knowledgeable?
At the end of the day, I keep my original opinion that AAdvantage drives me nuts for the whole procedure. I am also very upset that agents doesn't seem to have better understating and gave inconsistent advises is unfair for other members who choose to trust their words and pay extra miles.

Last edited by TransAsia; Dec 22, 2016 at 9:41 pm
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:24 pm
Suspended

...For the record, I called Executive Platinum line. Aren't agents there supposed to be more knowledgeable?
At the end of the day, I keep my original opinion that AAdvantage drives me nuts for the whole procedure. I am also very upset that agents doesn't seem to have better understating and gave inconsistent advises is unfair for other members who choose to trust their words and pay extra miles.
While I agree, of course, that it's frustrating, the changes-to-pre-devaluation awards thing is pretty complicated. Agents are confronted with contradictory internal guidance on the subject, -and-, the alternative, simpler (for AA) option would have been to simply say "pre-devaluation award-- time/date changes allowed only"-- and we're all very glad they didn't take that path.

But, again, agents in *some* cases are giving inconsistent answers because their reference material contains contradictory info on what's allowed, and that's management's fault -not- the individual agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.