Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Award changes after 21 March 2016 - which incur redeposit, which not

Award prices in miles are changing effective 22 Mar 2016. Many members have been asking which changes can be made on pre-existing awards on or after 22 Mar 2016 without requiring miles redeposit and issuance of new awards at the new prices - and we finally have some answers as given by the AA spokesperson through a timely article by Gary Leff and a char set c/o Smiley90 from here

Mile changes in absolute numbers (k)

Mile changes in percentage

First award change chart as of 22 Mar c/o Gary Leff

NOTE: 22 March 2026, several agents are saying what Gary Leff's quoted Ms. Nedbal stated, or parts of it, are not being honored.

According to Gary Leff (View from the Wing, Boarding Area, 31 Jan 2016), Laura Nedbal, spokesperson for AA, said:

Gary: "I sought further clarification and learned:
  • You can change date and time without repricing the award, while keeping airlines and routing constant.

• You can change routing without repricing the award, while keeping the airlines constant, with a few caveats. Basically you cannot break the fare. You cannot add a stopover. You’re going to have to stick with a legal routing for the primary carrier on the itinerary.

• You can not change Origin or Destination, even within the same region, without causing reissue at the current award rates.

• You cannot change award types, which means you can’t go from American only to flying partners. You can’t go from extra mileage award to saver award without a redeposit of miles and re-issue."
Q. Can I change Origin or Destination within the same region, as permitted normally?

This will require re-issue at the new rates.

Q. What if I change routing, but use the same origin, destination and airlines?

No problem, even changing connection cities and number of segments. Laura Nedbal: "Origin/dest stays same and since all carriers are oneworld there would be no charge to change carriers. Provided again, the same inventory/award as ticketed is available for change."

Q. What if I want to change from a oneworld airline such as QR to a non-oneworld partner such as EY, but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change the award type (AAnytime to MileSAAver, MileSAAver to reduced miles, etc.), but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change class of service and keep everything else the same?

Q. Is there a limit to the number of times I can change my pre-22 Mar award booking?

Many/most flyers have reported no issues with multiple changes for pre-22 Mar award bookings. Some AA EP agents and at least one supervisor have stated the rule is only ONE VOLUNTARY CHANGE will be allowed to keep the award at the pre-22 March level. A second or subsequent voluntary change will require conversion to the new chart and "paying" more miles.

Q. What would it cost me to redeposit an award? Two or more awards?

Redepositing an award costs $150 (plus $25 for each other award secured with miles from the same account). These redeposit fees are waived if the account is that of an Executive Platinum AAdvantage member. Link to FT thread: AA award reinstatement / miles redeposit fees, issues, questions (consolidated)

If they are separate awards on different PNRs they may require $150 each.

Q. If I purchase an award by 22 March, how far out can I change the award (within the parameters given)?

An award must be used within one year of issue.

NOTE: Region changes

• Bolivia and Manaus, Brasil: changing from South America 2 to South America 1
  • Venezuela: changing from South America 1 to South America 2
  • Guam: changing from Asia 2 to South Pacific
  • Sri Lanka: changing from Asia 2 to Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
  • Kiribati, Palau, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu: added to South Pacific region
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 110pgl
This thread is specifically about what you can and cannot do with pre-devalue tickets. No one is disputing the ability to change a mileage ticket with a redeposit to virtually anything you want. It is the standard way to do an exchange.

I do not believe there is anyone on this thread who has stated they changed a RT to two one ways AND reversed the order while keeping pre-devaluation mileage.
You are absolutely correct on BOTH.

There is no reason to bring in irrelevant information to this thread because as you said, no one is disputing the ability to change a mileage ticket with a redeposit to virtually anything you want - as long as you are willing to pay up, at least the fee if you are not EXP - for any ticket issued post devaluation. We all know a redeposit / reclaim on tickets issued pre-devaluation would trigger reprice, so what is the point to bring in the "impossible", i.e. no way to do so without repricing, into the mix of discussion that can only muddle up the issue?

What we really care is what changes continue to work (no repricing) and what changes will not work or were working before, but not any more.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
I know it says it won't work, but just curious if anyone has had any luck changing an AA only award to a partner award.

Have BOS-DFW-HKG booked in F on AA, but now I see the nonstop BOS-HKG opened up in F on CX. Would change if I could without paying additional miles.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 1:48 pm

I currently have an award booked including AA & BA flights. Is it possible to drop the AA flight (but keep O&D the same) without a reprice? Also, will the taxes be recalculated and a refund made if due? Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GLAinYYZ
I currently have an award booked including AA & BA flights. Is it possible to drop the AA flight (but keep O&D the same) without a reprice?
According to what I was told several times last month - no
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I currently have an award booked including AA & BA flights. Is it possible to drop the AA flight (but keep O&D the same) without a reprice? Also, will the taxes be recalculated and a refund made if due? Thanks!
How are you going to drop a flight but keep the origin and destination the same? Are you replacing the AA flight with another?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
How are you going to drop a flight but keep the origin and destination the same? Are you replacing the AA flight with another?
Maybe there is a BA flight on the same route?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
My current flights are YYZ - LGA (AA), JFK - LHR (BA). Availability has opened up on direct YYZ - LHR BA flight. But I can't change to this without reprice? Cheers.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
My current flights are YYZ - LGA (AA), JFK - LHR (BA). Availability has opened up on direct YYZ - LHR BA flight. But I can't change to this without reprice? Cheers.
YYZ - LGA (AA), JFK - LHR (BA) to
YYZ - LHR BA
should be do-able.
I cannot think of any rules being broken. HUCA Time!

Last edited by geclub1; Aug 8, 2016 at 5:41 pm
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:37 pm

According to some AAgents [and supervisors], changing carriers and/or routing will cause the reprice.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by jms_uk
According to some AAgents [and supervisors], changing carriers and/or routing will cause the reprice.
Changing routing definitely should not cause reprice.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Depends on specifics. Changing governing carrier very often will.

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
Changing routing definitely should not cause reprice.
Same (depends on specifics.) Change routing on a partner award certainly will in some cases not be possible while maintaining the same award.

(Not referencing here the change/award referenced in post 1001 above.)
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
Hi all! I hope this is the right thread for this:

I have an award ticket that is post Mar 22. It's an Economy Saver one way, and I'm trying to change the origin. A reservation supervisor on the Platinum Desk told me that if I upgrade to a Business class award and change the origin, that I could have the $150 fee waived. Of course, I call back and I'm told "no". Anyone else have any insight here?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TeamCarryOn

I have an award ticket that is post Mar 22. It's an Economy Saver one way, and I'm trying to change the origin. A reservation supervisor on the Platinum Desk told me that if I upgrade to a Business class award and change the origin, that I could have the $150 fee waived. Of course, I call back and I'm told "no". Anyone else have any insight here?

Many thanks!
Sounds like the first agent was proffering that there is some kind of policy that if you do a fee-waived award up-cabin on an existing award then at the same time you can do an original change. I'm not aware of any policy to that effect, personally.

(Leaving aside, of course, a same-Country origin change resulting from dropping the first segment, of a ticketed award, but, of course, that has no connection to changing award cabin.)
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by frudd38
I don't disagree, just a little surprised they cannot accommodate. It does make sense on that it's changing O/D which I didn't think about when doing it as a RT, so my fault for not doing two one way's.

Splitting the PNR will change the O/D, thus requiring redeposit and new 50k rate according to the agents and their computers. I'm sure if I really pushed it they can get a manager to keep the pre deval rate, but I'm just leaning towards cancelling it. The redemption isn't worth as much as I originally thought as cash biz fares are still a better buy at $594 each way.

I booked it march 2016 pre deval and was looking to change the lax-jfk portion to next feb.
By that logic that splitting the record is changing the origin & destination, any rt award should allow any changes to the destination city, as long as not changing award type, since they're viewing it as a connection point with the o/d being the home airport.

Obviously, that's ridiculous.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
FYI: After several phone calls to different agents, I was finally told that the $150 fee to change the origin can only be waived if you are ExecPlat. I am Plat and therefore out of options. It was not clear whether this also required an upgrade in the award ticket.

Originally Posted by TeamCarryOn

Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.