Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Award changes after 21 March 2016 - which incur redeposit, which not

Award prices in miles are changing effective 22 Mar 2016. Many members have been asking which changes can be made on pre-existing awards on or after 22 Mar 2016 without requiring miles redeposit and issuance of new awards at the new prices - and we finally have some answers as given by the AA spokesperson through a timely article by Gary Leff and a char set c/o Smiley90 from here

Mile changes in absolute numbers (k)

Mile changes in percentage

First award change chart as of 22 Mar c/o Gary Leff

NOTE: 22 March 2026, several agents are saying what Gary Leff's quoted Ms. Nedbal stated, or parts of it, are not being honored.

According to Gary Leff (View from the Wing, Boarding Area, 31 Jan 2016), Laura Nedbal, spokesperson for AA, said:

Gary: "I sought further clarification and learned:
  • You can change date and time without repricing the award, while keeping airlines and routing constant.

• You can change routing without repricing the award, while keeping the airlines constant, with a few caveats. Basically you cannot break the fare. You cannot add a stopover. You’re going to have to stick with a legal routing for the primary carrier on the itinerary.

• You can not change Origin or Destination, even within the same region, without causing reissue at the current award rates.

• You cannot change award types, which means you can’t go from American only to flying partners. You can’t go from extra mileage award to saver award without a redeposit of miles and re-issue."
Q. Can I change Origin or Destination within the same region, as permitted normally?

This will require re-issue at the new rates.

Q. What if I change routing, but use the same origin, destination and airlines?

No problem, even changing connection cities and number of segments. Laura Nedbal: "Origin/dest stays same and since all carriers are oneworld there would be no charge to change carriers. Provided again, the same inventory/award as ticketed is available for change."

Q. What if I want to change from a oneworld airline such as QR to a non-oneworld partner such as EY, but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change the award type (AAnytime to MileSAAver, MileSAAver to reduced miles, etc.), but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change class of service and keep everything else the same?

Q. Is there a limit to the number of times I can change my pre-22 Mar award booking?

Many/most flyers have reported no issues with multiple changes for pre-22 Mar award bookings. Some AA EP agents and at least one supervisor have stated the rule is only ONE VOLUNTARY CHANGE will be allowed to keep the award at the pre-22 March level. A second or subsequent voluntary change will require conversion to the new chart and "paying" more miles.

Q. What would it cost me to redeposit an award? Two or more awards?

Redepositing an award costs $150 (plus $25 for each other award secured with miles from the same account). These redeposit fees are waived if the account is that of an Executive Platinum AAdvantage member. Link to FT thread: AA award reinstatement / miles redeposit fees, issues, questions (consolidated)

If they are separate awards on different PNRs they may require $150 each.

Q. If I purchase an award by 22 March, how far out can I change the award (within the parameters given)?

An award must be used within one year of issue.

NOTE: Region changes

• Bolivia and Manaus, Brasil: changing from South America 2 to South America 1
  • Venezuela: changing from South America 1 to South America 2
  • Guam: changing from Asia 2 to South Pacific
  • Sri Lanka: changing from Asia 2 to Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
  • Kiribati, Palau, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu: added to South Pacific region
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vrbaba
I had a JFK-LHR saver award at 20k + LHR-AUH at 30k on one ticket for total of 50k. Now, I had to change the date, but the JFK-LHR fell out of the saver window, so they have to re-instate ($150) and er-issue the whole thing at new award level which is 30k + 42.5k even though LHR-AUH was just date change.

Sounds about right, but I wonder if anyone had a similar issue and able to keep the non-US-LON flight at old award levels?
Similar thing happened to me on a re-issue of a round-trip award, where the return was not being changed at all.

YYZ-AUH-KHI, KHI-AUH-YYZ was booked pre-deval in J (2x67.5K), and was changed yesterday to YYZ-AUH-IKA, KHI-AUH-YYZ on the same dates.

Even though only the outbound was being changed, the entire ticket was re-issued and I was refunded 135K and charged 150K (as well as charged USD150 plus refunded the difference in taxes).

I tried to argue the point, but the agent at AA Australia wouldn't budge. Since AA USA couldn't see the space, I had to ticket with AA Australia.

Last edited by nabeelj; Apr 20, 2016 at 2:38 pm
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
I had a JFK-LHR saver award at 20k + LHR-AUH at 30k on one ticket for total of 50k. Now, I had to change the date, but the JFK-LHR fell out of the saver window, so they have to re-instate ($150) and er-issue the whole thing at new award level which is 30k + 42.5k even though LHR-AUH was just date change.

Sounds about right, but I wonder if anyone had a similar issue and able to keep the non-US-LON flight at old award levels?
How about separating the PNR into two?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would see what the agent quotes to just cancel the JFK-LHR sector out of the booking

If that can be done for $150 whilst leaving the LHR-AUH in place, should then be able to make the date change for LHR-AUH without a new award being issued

Can then make a separate JFK-LHR at the new rate

If there is no stopover in London, then the drawback of this would be the lack of protection should the connection be missed and that luggage would not be checked through
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would see what the agent quotes to just cancel the JFK-LHR sector out of the booking

If that can be done for $150 whilst leaving the LHR-AUH in place, should then be able to make the date change for LHR-AUH without a new award being issued

Can then make a separate JFK-LHR at the new rate

If there is no stopover in London, then the drawback of this would be the lack of protection should the connection be missed and that luggage would not be checked through
(This is a stopover in LHR)

Great point, but wouldn't that change the orig/dest and cause for a re-issue at new levels anyways?

I already made the change now (which apparently I had no choice but to either cancel or accept. When I originally called to make the change, the AU agent made no mention of all this and this got hung up in ticketing which prompted the AA call).
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

(This is a stopover in LHR)

Great point, but wouldn't that change the orig/dest and cause for a re-issue at new levels anyways?

I already made the change now (which apparently I had no choice but to either cancel or accept. When I originally called to make the change, the AU agent made no mention of all this and this got hung up in ticketing which prompted the AA call).
The origin and destination of the LHR-AUH award would not have changed. I don't know whether it would have worked, but would seem a feasible possibility to me
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The origin and destination of the LHR-AUH award would not have changed. I don't know whether it would have worked, but would seem a feasible possibility to me
Agents have been instructed to look at the entire PNR -- even if it is multiple awards. Have assisted a few people with multiple awards within a PNR, trying to say drop a segment on award #2 or in one case just wanting to voluntarily change and pay a higher amount on the outbound award. Each time, it was determined that any change would cause a total re-pricing. The only exception to this would be the last award. If you can find a way to not use the last award at all, was advised to fly the first 2 awards and then refund/change the last award once the first 2 awards are flown. In the end we ended up biking a new 3rd award for different dates with non AA space so as not to cause SAGE to freak out with an impossible routing. All worked well.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
I booked a reservation pre-devaluation J award, DEN-LAX-HND AA metal. I now want a DEN-LAX-HKG-HND on CX. There are no overnights, and it doesn't violate any AA rules. Do I have to pay the difference in miles, and is there any change fee? This is for a friend who does not have status.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I booked a reservation pre-devaluation J award, DEN-LAX-HND AA metal. I now want a DEN-LAX-HKG-HND on CX. There are no overnights, and it doesn't violate any AA rules. Do I have to pay the difference in miles, and is there any change fee? This is for a friend who does not have status.
I don't think you can go through Asia 2 to get to Asia 1. And the ticket she has is an all AA award, you shouldn't be able to change it include oneworld partners

Last edited by AAExecPlatFlier; Apr 20, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
I don't think you can go through Asia 2 to get to Asia 1.
True, you cannot (on single award needles to say.)
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:03 pm

I'm trying to plan for a call tomorrow requesting a schedule change. Current pre-deval tickets are ATL-(AA F)-LAX-(TN J)-PPT and mirrored return. 2 tickets with separate PNRs because we're currently on the same TN flights but different AA flights due to what was available at booking--looks like AA is only releasing 1 Z per flight from ATL-LAX and LAX-ATL for 2017 so far.

I want to change 1 ticket with just the new dates, otherwise same routing and class. The other I want to change the same way, but it looks like there are not 2 Z seats even on separate flights on the outbound. So the 1 ticket would need to change to ATL-DFW/CLT/PHX-LAX-PPT. That should be ok without a reprice, right?

And 2nd question, more advanced though: There's a chance we're moving from ATL to DC area before these flights. Does the crowd think it should be possible to change to ATL-DCA-LAX-PPT; PPT-LAX-DCA-ATL and then with a 2nd call drop the ATL-DCA and DCA-ATL segments?

Thanks for all the great info so far!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:10 pm

I changed the dates of an itinerary booked for next October to March, without a reprice in the awards level. ^

However, it still shows as being "on request" and hasn't ticketed yet. I need to make an additional date adjustment; must I wait until it tickets to make the adjustment or can I make the date change while it's still in "on request" status?

Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Autolycus
And 2nd question, more advanced though: There's a chance we're moving from ATL to DC area before these flights. Does the crowd think it should be possible to change to ATL-DCA-LAX-PPT; PPT-LAX-DCA-ATL and then with a 2nd call drop the ATL-DCA and DCA-ATL segments?
That would be changing the origin and the destination of the original, pre-deval booking (assuming I am understanding your plan correctly), which would cause the new booking rates to be applied.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
You cannot transit in Hong Kong to get to Tokyo on an AAdvantage award.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
Has anyone dropped final segment (same region eg lax-hkg-tpe to just lax-hkg) since change took place?
To follow up - an agent and supposedly a supervisor insisted on routing change reticketing and all associated fees and rate increases. I'll check again later.
May end up doing no-show if it comes to that...
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:48 pm

Can anyone tell me if this specific flight change would trigger an award repricing. Took me 5 days to read the whole thread and I feel like I only saw 1-2 relevant data points that include the original transpacific flight as AA metal.

Original
XXX-DFW (AA)F
DFW-NRT (AA)F
NRT-HKG (CX)F
HKG-BKK (CX)F

New
XXX-ORD (AA)F
ORD-HKG (CX)F
HKG-BKK (CX)F

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.