Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
Barclaycard AAdvantage AviatorTM Silver World Elite MasterCard Companion Certificate
Earn a companion certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each, issued annually after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply).

FAQ: AAdvantage AviatorTM Silver Companion Certificate

Link to Barclaycard Aviator Silver Terms and Conditions.

American Airlines Companion Certificate

You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate (the "Companion Certificate") redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each (plus taxes and fees) provided that: (1) $30,000 or more in eligible Net Purchases are made with your Account during the card membership year (each 12 month period through and including the account anniversary month) and (2) your Account remains open for at least 45 days after the anniversary date. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate. When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory. The Companion Certificate will be valid one year from issue and is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Details, terms and conditions, certain restrictions, and restricted dates apply and will be disclosed on the Companion Certificate.
Link to aa.com Barclays Aviator Silver information.

How do I earn a companion certificate?
You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each, plus taxes and fees, when you spend $30,000 or more on eligible purchases on your AAdvantage AviatorTM Silver MasterCard during your cardmembership year (each 12-month period prior to your anniversary date) and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary.

Are there restrictions on the use of the companion certificate?
When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory.

How long is my companion certificate valid?
The companion certificate will be valid one year from issue.

On which airlines can I use the companion certificate?
The companion certificate is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

When will I receive my companion certificate?
Once you have met the purchase requirement and your account has been open at least 45 days after your anniversary, you can expect to receive your companion certificate in 8-12 weeks.

FULL T&Cs:
This certificate entitles the AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MasterCard cardmember named above to pay $99 for the ticketing fee, plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees based on itinerary, for each round trip qualifying economy fare ticket for up to two companions when an individual round trip qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased by and for the primary cardmember using the Addvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MasterCard. Passenger is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees and charges in association with companion travel.

This certificate must be surrendered when the ticket is purchased. Redemption is limited to one certificate per passenger. This certificate is nontransferable and may be used only by the cardmember named on the certificate. If the certificate is tendered in connection with a wholly unused ticket, any applicable penalties shall apply. The current fare and all applicable rules shall apply to the new ticket. The certificate must be redeemed and all travel completed by midnight of the Travel Expiration Date printed on the front of this certificate.

This certificate may not be combined with any other specials or promotional fare offer, discount, certificate, coupon, Senior Citizen discount or AAdvantage award for the purchase of a ticket. When available, short-term promotional fares may provide a lower cost for your trip than the use of this certificate.

No upgrades will be allowed on tickets issued using this certificate.

Reservations are subject to availability at the time reservations are made. Reservations may be made and this certificate redeemed at any American Airlines or American Eagle ticketing location or by calling American Airlines Meeting Services.

A ticket purchased with this certificate must conform to the advance purchase rules of the applicable fare used or be purchased at least 14 days prior to departure, whichever is the most restrictive. All terms and conditions applicable to the excursion fare ticket purchased apply to both the fare paid ticket and the companion ticket. Both tickets must be issued for the same flights and dates by the same location at the same time. If purchased tickets are wholly or partially refunded, the certificate will not be replaced and no refund will apply to the companion ticket.

This certificate is valid for travel as referenced on the front of this certificate to destinations served by American Airlines, American Eagle and the AmericanConnection carrier, both at the time of certificate redemption and ticket usage. The individual using the companion ticket will not earn AAdvantage miles on these flight segments. Certificate not valid on flights marketed as American Airlines online service but operated by other airlines under a codeshare agreement.

Unless otherwise indicated, all amounts shown are in USD. Fares do not include (a) a federal excise tax of up to $3.50 per U.S. domestic flight segment of a passenger's itinerary, a flight segment is defined as one takeoff and landing, (b) up to $18 per round trip in local airport Passenger Facility Charges, and (c) September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per enplanement originating at a U.S. airport, up to $5 per one way or $10 per round trip. Taxes are subject to change. Redemption of the certificate applies only to bookings made by phone through American Airlines Meeting Services or through airport or city ticket offices.

This certificate is not redeemable for cash and has no value except when redeemed in accordance with these terms and conditions. Lost, stolen, destroyed or expired certificates will not be replaced. This certificate is void if sold for cash or other considerations. It is also void if altered, counterfeited, obtained or used improperly, or where prohibited by law.

These terms and conditions cannot be changed by any statement or representation of any unauthorized person, including employees of American Airlines, Inc., Barclaycard, and Barclays Bank Delaware.

For residents of Hawaii only, valid for round trip travel originating in Hawaii and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

For residents of Alaska only, valid for round trip travel originating in Alaska and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

RESERVATIONS/TICKETING/REPORTING INFORMATION

Reservations must be booked in L, M, N, Q, S, V, G or O inventory.

2019 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 15-19; Mar 8-11, 15-18, 22-25; May 24-28; Jun 28-30; Jul 1-7; Nov 27-30; Dec 1-2, 14-23, 27-31

2020 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 14-18; Mar 6-9, 13-16, 20-23; May 22-26; Jun 30; Jul 1-6; Nov 25-30; Dec 12-23, 27-31

Both the fare-paying passenger and the companion(s) must be booked in the same booking code on the same itinerary.

Certificate must be attached to auditors coupon and is valid only for using American Airlines ticket validation (001).
Updated 27 Jan 2016 - taxicabnumber
Updated 04 Jan 2017 - aschuett (Added 2017 embargo dates per moonwoo)
Updated 06 Jun 2019 - thorofare (deleted prior year embargo dates; added 2019-20 embargo dates)
Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by longmanzz
Thinking to cancel the card after the recent negative change to both the card and AA, however, wanted to do that after getting the new companion ticket which I have earned.
So my understanding is I have a window from the 46th day to 60th after anniversary to cancel my card and get AF refund but they will still mail the cert 8-10 weeks later?
Do I have to be a card holder and pay using the card when I redeem the cert?
Rules say you must use the Barclay card to pay for the cert. Do not know if anyone has tested this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Rules say you must use the Barclay card to pay for the cert. Do not know if anyone has tested this.
Delta Companion pass has to be paid with ANY AMEX card, wonder if that holds true for Barclay.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Has anyone done a hidden city on one of these? I’m looking to book LAX - JFK round trip, however I need to stop in a connecting city on the return segment, with my companion continuing on to LAX.

I’m the certificate holder, so if I miss the final connecting flight to LAX, is there a likelihood my companion’s ticket on that leg is cancelled if I don’t board?

I really don’t have any other use for cert except for this possible trip.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Anyone on my previous post?

Also, has anyone tried to do a miles + copay upgrade on these? It looks like 500 mile upgrades are working.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Been several years since I've used one of these. Can I do a miles + copay upgrade on this if there is inventory available?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
Been several years since I've used one of these. Can I do a miles + copay upgrade on this if there is inventory available?
From Terms And Conditions--"no upgrades will be allowed on tickets using this certificate."
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by taxatty56
From Terms And Conditions--"no upgrades will be allowed on tickets using this certificate."
Thanks. That's very unfortunate
Under the US Airways version, I distinctly remember getting upgraded (a few times using miles+copay, a few waiting for the autoupgrade).
Still a significant savings using this to fly to FCA.^
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Under the US Airways version, I distinctly remember getting upgraded (a few times using miles+copay, a few waiting for the autoupgrade).
I flew one earlier this year. Had them separate the records (there were three of us) and me and my companion did get the upgrade (stickers not Miles + Co-pay).

I am using another one this week. Connecting through DFW. Am on list, was able to check the box for companion upgrade.

Monitoring EF for my flights, I expect I am unlikely to clear, but everything else looks just like it's a non cert-flight.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:07 pm

Companion certificate expires before I can use it

Has anyone had any luck with an extension or offer for something in its place? I have the Barclays Silver.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Nope. Not gonna happen.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Does one need to do anything to prove that they live in Hawaii? Can anyone just book a round trip say HNL -> DFW -> JFK and back?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Before the merger you were correct, Hubby and I would fly PHX-JFK on companion pass and were upgraded to F (autoupgrade) now that we get $25 credit each month for food/drink with this card, not much to worry about an upgrade.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by donotblink
Does one need to do anything to prove that they live in Hawaii? Can anyone just book a round trip say HNL -> DFW -> JFK and back?
I haven't provided any info that live at my current address, except my mail come here, change your address to one in HNL a month before your fly and see if that works. I would have the address on my account before I purchase the tickets.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Nope. Not gonna happen.
I figured, thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:45 pm

deleted

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 1, 2019 at 1:01 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.