Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
Barclaycard AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver World Elite MasterCard® Companion Certificate
Earn a companion certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each, issued annually after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply).

FAQ: AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Companion Certificate

Link to Barclaycard Aviator Silver Terms and Conditions.

American Airlines Companion Certificate

You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate (the "Companion Certificate") redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each (plus taxes and fees) provided that: (1) $30,000 or more in eligible Net Purchases are made with your Account during the card membership year (each 12 month period through and including the account anniversary month) and (2) your Account remains open for at least 45 days after the anniversary date. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate. When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory. The Companion Certificate will be valid one year from issue and is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Details, terms and conditions, certain restrictions, and restricted dates apply and will be disclosed on the Companion Certificate.
Link to aa.com Barclays Aviator Silver information.

How do I earn a companion certificate?
You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each, plus taxes and fees, when you spend $30,000 or more on eligible purchases on your AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard® during your cardmembership year (each 12-month period prior to your anniversary date) and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary.

Are there restrictions on the use of the companion certificate?
When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory.

How long is my companion certificate valid?
The companion certificate will be valid one year from issue.

On which airlines can I use the companion certificate?
The companion certificate is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

When will I receive my companion certificate?
Once you have met the purchase requirement and your account has been open at least 45 days after your anniversary, you can expect to receive your companion certificate in 8-12 weeks.

FULL T&Cs:
This certificate entitles the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® cardmember named above to pay $99 for the ticketing fee, plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees based on itinerary, for each round trip qualifying economy fare ticket for up to two companions when an individual round trip qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased by and for the primary cardmember using the Addvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®. Passenger is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees and charges in association with companion travel.

This certificate must be surrendered when the ticket is purchased. Redemption is limited to one certificate per passenger. This certificate is nontransferable and may be used only by the cardmember named on the certificate. If the certificate is tendered in connection with a wholly unused ticket, any applicable penalties shall apply. The current fare and all applicable rules shall apply to the new ticket. The certificate must be redeemed and all travel completed by midnight of the Travel Expiration Date printed on the front of this certificate.

This certificate may not be combined with any other specials or promotional fare offer, discount, certificate, coupon, Senior Citizen discount or AAdvantage® award for the purchase of a ticket. When available, short-term promotional fares may provide a lower cost for your trip than the use of this certificate.

No upgrades will be allowed on tickets issued using this certificate.

Reservations are subject to availability at the time reservations are made. Reservations may be made and this certificate redeemed at any American Airlines or American Eagle® ticketing location or by calling American Airlines Meeting Services.

A ticket purchased with this certificate must conform to the advance purchase rules of the applicable fare used or be purchased at least 14 days prior to departure, whichever is the most restrictive. All terms and conditions applicable to the excursion fare ticket purchased apply to both the fare paid ticket and the companion ticket. Both tickets must be issued for the same flights and dates by the same location at the same time. If purchased tickets are wholly or partially refunded, the certificate will not be replaced and no refund will apply to the companion ticket.

This certificate is valid for travel as referenced on the front of this certificate to destinations served by American Airlines, American Eagle® and the AmericanConnection® carrier, both at the time of certificate redemption and ticket usage. The individual using the companion ticket will not earn AAdvantage® miles on these flight segments. Certificate not valid on flights marketed as American Airlines online service but operated by other airlines under a codeshare agreement.

Unless otherwise indicated, all amounts shown are in USD. Fares do not include (a) a federal excise tax of up to $3.50 per U.S. domestic flight segment of a passenger's itinerary, a flight segment is defined as one takeoff and landing, (b) up to $18 per round trip in local airport Passenger Facility Charges, and (c) September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per enplanement originating at a U.S. airport, up to $5 per one way or $10 per round trip. Taxes are subject to change. Redemption of the certificate applies only to bookings made by phone through American Airlines Meeting Services or through airport or city ticket offices.

This certificate is not redeemable for cash and has no value except when redeemed in accordance with these terms and conditions. Lost, stolen, destroyed or expired certificates will not be replaced. This certificate is void if sold for cash or other considerations. It is also void if altered, counterfeited, obtained or used improperly, or where prohibited by law.

These terms and conditions cannot be changed by any statement or representation of any unauthorized person, including employees of American Airlines, Inc., Barclaycard, and Barclays Bank Delaware.

For residents of Hawaii only, valid for round trip travel originating in Hawaii and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

For residents of Alaska only, valid for round trip travel originating in Alaska and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

RESERVATIONS/TICKETING/REPORTING INFORMATION

Reservations must be booked in L, M, N, Q, S, V, G or O inventory.

2019 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 15-19; Mar 8-11, 15-18, 22-25; May 24-28; Jun 28-30; Jul 1-7; Nov 27-30; Dec 1-2, 14-23, 27-31

2020 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 14-18; Mar 6-9, 13-16, 20-23; May 22-26; Jun 30; Jul 1-6; Nov 25-30; Dec 12-23, 27-31

Both the fare-paying passenger and the companion(s) must be booked in the same booking code on the same itinerary.

Certificate must be attached to auditors coupon and is valid only for using American Airlines ticket validation (001).
Updated 27 Jan 2016 - taxicabnumber
Updated 04 Jan 2017 - aschuett (Added 2017 embargo dates per moonwoo)
Updated 06 Jun 2019 - thorofare (deleted prior year embargo dates; added 2019-20 embargo dates)
Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by donotblink
Can you redeem these at the airport like you could with VDB vouchers?
No, only through Meeting Services via the mail.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johnr863
I’ve been trying to get my reservation ticketed for 2 1/2 months now. Booked with a Companion Voucher. Can’t tell you how many calls I made. No one will help. A few of them were down right rude. They just keep telling me my reservation is fine and if not ticketed within 72 hours of my flight to call. I don’t trust them anymore. I get a different answer every time I call. I already voiced my concern of the reservation being cancelled at the last minute but was told “everything is ok”.
I had the same issue. Booked a ticket May 1 for travel this Friday (6/25). Showed as pending the whole time- I called a couple weeks ago and they said call 3 days in advance. Still pending yesterday so I called. Took about 15 minutes but the ticket was issued during the call. Phone agent was very apologetic, but everything was ultimately taken care of. Just wait until 72 hours and then call in and everything will be fine.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
Originally Posted by donotblink
any MasterCard will work
Ah perfect, thanks for the info. I'm glad to be able to use these with prices what they are right now...
Old Jun 29, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I used my companion pass on June 3 and it still says ticket pending. I’m not able to change seats since it is grayed out. There was a schedule change and I was able to get an agent to rebook me, and she picked new preferred seats for me but I’m still not able to change them myself.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Anyone notice a slight change to the expiration dates. Mine normally expire on 6/30. Now they expire on 6/15. Pretty much eliminates the ability to use them for late June travel.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Diamond, WOH Globalist
Just received the Aviator Silver Companion certificate for 2021 after paying the annual fee in June. For the first time I now see that the Certificate (actually two certificates, since last years is unused and unexpired) is in the Wallet section of the AA web site when I log into AA.com. Never seen that before; always had to go the the Barclays web site to see or print the certificate. Is this new, or did I just not notice? Funny enough, AA has all the certificate info, on the Barclay's site the certificate is still "in process" and not yet available.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EP
I used them earlier this year. You still call Meeting Services, but they take the certificate numbers over the phone and it tickets within a day. No more mailing them in and waiting. I still have 2 left from last year that are good through next year due to the extension that are the kind you mail in.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Diamond, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by la2clt
I used them earlier this year. You still call Meeting Services, but they take the certificate numbers over the phone and it tickets within a day. No more mailing them in and waiting. I still have 2 left from last year that are good through next year due to the extension that are the kind you mail in.
Wish we could book on-line, but this is definitely progress. When I saw the notation that I had two certificates on the AA web site I thought it was referring to this year and last years certificates; that is wrong. It counts this year as two since I got them with the Aviator Silver, so one can bring two companions with the one cert.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Being that this is my first year with the card, does it mean that I need to wait until next year (45 days after 12 months) to get my first companion certificate even though I've passed the 20k threshold? I'm already hating the customer service on this card and will be cancelling it, but want to get the certificate first

Thanks!
Old May 10, 2022, 6:24 pm

If you book a companion certificate reservation as the primary cardholder and you can't take the outbound flight but your companion does, will the companion's return ticket remain in tact?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Anyone have experience booking a companion ticket, then later making a change to the reservation due to a change in travel plans?

I have 2 certs expiring 30 June and want to spend them for a family trip in early Sept, but the dates for that trip are likely to change. Thinking of booking the trip with the CC before it expires.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by econometrics
Anyone have experience booking a companion ticket, then later making a change to the reservation due to a change in travel plans?

I have 2 certs expiring 30 June and want to spend them for a family trip in early Sept, but the dates for that trip are likely to change. Thinking of booking the trip with the CC before it expires.
Unless things have changed, I could've sworn that the expiration date is for both booking AND travel. You may want to double check this.

Having said that, when you book using the companion certificate, you can make changes to the tickets that are within the fare rules as long as you are within the certificate's fare rules too (blackout dates, advance purchase period, etc.)
Old Jun 17, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Unless things have changed, I could've sworn that the expiration date is for both booking AND travel. You may want to double check this.

Having said that, when you book using the companion certificate, you can make changes to the tickets that are within the fare rules as long as you are within the certificate's fare rules too (blackout dates, advance purchase period, etc.)
Rats, you are correct. "The certificate must be redeemed and all travel completed by midnight of the expiration date." https://creditcards.aa.com/barclaysilverterms/

But good to know about the changes, thank you! I have another 2 expiring in 2023 that I can burn up now. 👍🏼
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by GNRMatt

Yup, this is correct. I used my companion certs yesterday for summer travel. Apparently a slug of certs expired on June 15 and Meeting Services said that the past week has not been the most pleasant of weeks with a lot of infrequent travelers who are card holders trying to cash in their companion certs - only to find that the expiration date applies to BOTH ticketing and travel.

For the first time ever, I got stung a bit by the T&Cs of these certs. Apparently "K" fares are not usable with the certs and all three non-stop flights that I was hoping to use out of DCA were "K" fares. Annoying.... So, I get to waste 90 extra minutes connecting.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I noticed that my expiring companion certificates just got extended another year!
They now expire July 19, 2023!
MorganB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.