Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
Barclaycard AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver World Elite MasterCard® Companion Certificate
Earn a companion certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each, issued annually after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply).

FAQ: AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Companion Certificate

Link to Barclaycard Aviator Silver Terms and Conditions.

American Airlines Companion Certificate

You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate (the "Companion Certificate") redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each (plus taxes and fees) provided that: (1) $30,000 or more in eligible Net Purchases are made with your Account during the card membership year (each 12 month period through and including the account anniversary month) and (2) your Account remains open for at least 45 days after the anniversary date. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate. When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory. The Companion Certificate will be valid one year from issue and is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Details, terms and conditions, certain restrictions, and restricted dates apply and will be disclosed on the Companion Certificate.
Link to aa.com Barclays Aviator Silver information.

How do I earn a companion certificate?
You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each, plus taxes and fees, when you spend $30,000 or more on eligible purchases on your AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard® during your cardmembership year (each 12-month period prior to your anniversary date) and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary.

Are there restrictions on the use of the companion certificate?
When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory.

How long is my companion certificate valid?
The companion certificate will be valid one year from issue.

On which airlines can I use the companion certificate?
The companion certificate is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

When will I receive my companion certificate?
Once you have met the purchase requirement and your account has been open at least 45 days after your anniversary, you can expect to receive your companion certificate in 8-12 weeks.

FULL T&Cs:
This certificate entitles the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® cardmember named above to pay $99 for the ticketing fee, plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees based on itinerary, for each round trip qualifying economy fare ticket for up to two companions when an individual round trip qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased by and for the primary cardmember using the Addvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®. Passenger is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees and charges in association with companion travel.

This certificate must be surrendered when the ticket is purchased. Redemption is limited to one certificate per passenger. This certificate is nontransferable and may be used only by the cardmember named on the certificate. If the certificate is tendered in connection with a wholly unused ticket, any applicable penalties shall apply. The current fare and all applicable rules shall apply to the new ticket. The certificate must be redeemed and all travel completed by midnight of the Travel Expiration Date printed on the front of this certificate.

This certificate may not be combined with any other specials or promotional fare offer, discount, certificate, coupon, Senior Citizen discount or AAdvantage® award for the purchase of a ticket. When available, short-term promotional fares may provide a lower cost for your trip than the use of this certificate.

No upgrades will be allowed on tickets issued using this certificate.

Reservations are subject to availability at the time reservations are made. Reservations may be made and this certificate redeemed at any American Airlines or American Eagle® ticketing location or by calling American Airlines Meeting Services.

A ticket purchased with this certificate must conform to the advance purchase rules of the applicable fare used or be purchased at least 14 days prior to departure, whichever is the most restrictive. All terms and conditions applicable to the excursion fare ticket purchased apply to both the fare paid ticket and the companion ticket. Both tickets must be issued for the same flights and dates by the same location at the same time. If purchased tickets are wholly or partially refunded, the certificate will not be replaced and no refund will apply to the companion ticket.

This certificate is valid for travel as referenced on the front of this certificate to destinations served by American Airlines, American Eagle® and the AmericanConnection® carrier, both at the time of certificate redemption and ticket usage. The individual using the companion ticket will not earn AAdvantage® miles on these flight segments. Certificate not valid on flights marketed as American Airlines online service but operated by other airlines under a codeshare agreement.

Unless otherwise indicated, all amounts shown are in USD. Fares do not include (a) a federal excise tax of up to $3.50 per U.S. domestic flight segment of a passenger's itinerary, a flight segment is defined as one takeoff and landing, (b) up to $18 per round trip in local airport Passenger Facility Charges, and (c) September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per enplanement originating at a U.S. airport, up to $5 per one way or $10 per round trip. Taxes are subject to change. Redemption of the certificate applies only to bookings made by phone through American Airlines Meeting Services or through airport or city ticket offices.

This certificate is not redeemable for cash and has no value except when redeemed in accordance with these terms and conditions. Lost, stolen, destroyed or expired certificates will not be replaced. This certificate is void if sold for cash or other considerations. It is also void if altered, counterfeited, obtained or used improperly, or where prohibited by law.

These terms and conditions cannot be changed by any statement or representation of any unauthorized person, including employees of American Airlines, Inc., Barclaycard, and Barclays Bank Delaware.

For residents of Hawaii only, valid for round trip travel originating in Hawaii and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

For residents of Alaska only, valid for round trip travel originating in Alaska and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

RESERVATIONS/TICKETING/REPORTING INFORMATION

Reservations must be booked in L, M, N, Q, S, V, G or O inventory.

2019 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 15-19; Mar 8-11, 15-18, 22-25; May 24-28; Jun 28-30; Jul 1-7; Nov 27-30; Dec 1-2, 14-23, 27-31

2020 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 14-18; Mar 6-9, 13-16, 20-23; May 22-26; Jun 30; Jul 1-6; Nov 25-30; Dec 12-23, 27-31

Both the fare-paying passenger and the companion(s) must be booked in the same booking code on the same itinerary.

Certificate must be attached to auditors coupon and is valid only for using American Airlines ticket validation (001).
Updated 27 Jan 2016 - taxicabnumber
Updated 04 Jan 2017 - aschuett (Added 2017 embargo dates per moonwoo)
Updated 06 Jun 2019 - thorofare (deleted prior year embargo dates; added 2019-20 embargo dates)
Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by taxatty56
I used the $99 Aviator companion certificate to purchase a MIA-DEN ticket for early April which I would like to cancel and rebook for later in the year under the current AA no change fee policy. Would I be correct in guessing that I will get a refund only of the reduced fare that I actually paid and have effectively forfeited reusing the companion certificate on another flight?
This is a good question. I'd added to this - what about a CC that expires in the next month or so. Anyone ask or heard if the use of that pass may be extended? My guess is not as another new pass will be available by then but interested if anyone has heard anything
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
For Barclays, you can print them from your credit card account but they also mail them a bit later. For Citi, I do not know.
Originally Posted by Uzzar
I received an email from Barclays stating that I would be receiving the voucher in the mail, which I did. This was with the Silver Aviator, i do not have the Citi card.
thank you so much for the responses. that was very helpful. i assume citi would utilize a similar infrastructure, but it sounds like the long wait is real. reminds me of amex hotel certs which take forever now. 8-12 weeks.

if anyone here is interested, ive found a helpful blog post by Middle Age Miles that outlines Barclay AA certs.
https://www.middleagemiles.com/2019/...n-certificates

UPDATE: for anyone wondering, citi biz is exactly like barclays. makes sense its consistent given both are tied to AA.
Uzzar likes this.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Apr 3, 2020 at 12:58 am
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:37 pm

Posted this in the newbie thread the other day, nothing yet so -- any idea if you can stack companion passes from two different cards? (e.g., bring 3 people along instead of just 2).
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I have a companion certificate that expires in July. I just wrote into both AA and Barclays asking if they can extend it. I've spent a lot on the card--more than 50k per year for the past 3 years. I'll report back to let you all know what they have to say.
Old May 6, 2020, 11:18 am

Good news although I don't understand the 6 month part
The Points Guy: Your American Airlines companion certificate will be extended through next year.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/barcla...te-extendsion/
Old May 19, 2020, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jimmyz1
Good news although I don't understand the 6 month part
The Points Guy: Your American Airlines companion certificate will be extended through next year.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/barcla...te-extendsion/
Just checked my account- last year's cert due to expire 7/31/2020 now expires 6/30/2021!
Old May 19, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
How do I check the expiration date on line

Originally Posted by jimmyz1
Just checked my account- last year's cert due to expire 7/31/2020 now expires 6/30/2021!
I have a paper certificate with a printed expiration date.
Can I also see the certificate and expiration date on line?
Thanks.
Old May 19, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for this info. My cert expires on 30Jun2021 now rather than 31Jan2021 originally. I can see it online.
Old May 30, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: AA-EXP
I just got an official email extending both the companion certificate and the $100 discount. Certificate was extended by 10 months, discount by 6 months.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Is it me or did AA do away with the minimum fare requirement on these certs?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 9:06 am

A question has come up in this thread on multiple occasions but never answered. Does the purchase of the tickets require the use of the Aviator Silver Mastercard. The answer appears to be no, as I just successfully used an Amex card to purchase the three tickets.

There is an ambiguity in the terms and conditions. They require that "an individual round trip qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased by and for the primary cardmember using the Addvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®." Is the language just descriptive in that the full fare ticket has to be purchased by the primary cardmember who uses the Aviator Card, or does it require that the purchase be made using the Aviator Card?

As I said, they do not appear to be interpreting this condition in the more restrictive way. It did take a long time for my tickets to go from pending to fully ticketed. Also, I would note that I kept my card open during this time, so I can't say for certain whether there is also a check to see whether the primary cardmember is still otherwise "using" the Aviator Card and has not closed it.

Now, I get to see whether Amex considers the $99 charge a "fee" or whether it is considered to be a ticket in and of itself.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
A question has come up in this thread on multiple occasions but never answered. Does the purchase of the tickets require the use of the Aviator Silver Mastercard. The answer appears to be no, as I just successfully used an Amex card to purchase the three tickets.

There is an ambiguity in the terms and conditions. They require that "an individual round trip qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased by and for the primary cardmember using the Addvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®." Is the language just descriptive in that the full fare ticket has to be purchased by the primary cardmember who uses the Aviator Card, or does it require that the purchase be made using the Aviator Card?

As I said, they do not appear to be interpreting this condition in the more restrictive way. It did take a long time for my tickets to go from pending to fully ticketed. Also, I would note that I kept my card open during this time, so I can't say for certain whether there is also a check to see whether the primary cardmember is still otherwise "using" the Aviator Card and has not closed it.

Now, I get to see whether Amex considers the $99 charge a "fee" or whether it is considered to be a ticket in and of itself.
I would guess that it's meant in the more restrictive way, but that in practice they're not enforcing it, as you've seen. If they meant it in the less restrictive way they would have said something like"holding the Aadvantage Aviator"...
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Clear
AA Companion Pass (worthless)

For the past few years I get two AA companion passes from my Barclay’s American Air Aviator Silver MasterCard and never use them as it only applies to economy fare tickets (+$99 and tax), however if they applied to first class like Delta reserve, then that would be great.

Thus, with the present rules, they are pretty much worthless to me.

Does anyone have any better ideas on how to use these.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I've always found them quite useful and easy to use. If you thought you'd be able to use them on first class tickets, you really should've read the advertisements and rules. They are crystal clear that it is for economy class tickets only, the lower 48 states and restricted from some blackout dates. They don't even try to hide this. So, basically, you can use them for 98% of domestic flights throughout the year in Economy class.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
they can be pretty valuable going into specific airports for special events when rates go through the roof. Things that come to mind would be the super bowl (in whatever city it's held in that year), Art Basel in Miami, U.S. Open in NYC, other big sporting events? Also, I frequently fly in and out of Vail which can get pricey, that could be a good value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.